Lunt Calcium filter

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Lunt Calcium filter

Post by hopskipson »

Hi All

I'm looking to add Calcium K line to my set up. I will be using it on a C-8 and a f/8, 6" refractor with an Aries Tri-band DERF. I will be imaging with an ASI174 or possibly an ASI290.

Will I need to use the blocking filter with the Calcium filter and if so which one would you recommend? Of course I don't want to spend money needlessly so the smallest one that will give good results is my preference.

Sorry if this has been discussed before :oops: , but thanks for the help!

James

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Lunt Calcium filter

Post by Montana »

Yes you do need to use the complete unit. There is a guide from Lunt here at the bottom of this page to tell you which size blocking filter to get for your telescope https://luntsolarsystems.com/shop/solar ... k-modules/

My B1800 is absolutely fine on my C11 with the ASI174 chip.

Alexandra

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

Hey James,

I'll be doing the B1200 module myself. The IMX174 sensor is 11.3mm at it's widest dimension, so the 12mm aperture of the blocking filter will not vignette too badly (don't care about a few pixels around the edge, they will be artifact with stacking anyways). The ERF part of the module is not needed since you will be using a full aperture D-ERF already.

Very best,

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

I suspect this is in another thread, but have people confirmed that the Lunt ERF doesn't cover a frequency otherwise missed by the main components? Lunt tends to double cover frequencies for eye safety (these are rated for visual), so I would guess it is all covered. I wasn't going to remove the Lunt ERF, but I guess removing it gets rid of one more opportunity for reflections, attenuation, and optical imperfection.

George

bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

george9 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:32 pm I suspect this is in another thread, but have people confirmed that the Lunt ERF doesn't cover a frequency otherwise missed by the main components? Lunt tends to double cover frequencies for eye safety (these are rated for visual), so I would guess it is all covered. I wasn't going to remove the Lunt ERF, but I guess removing it gets rid of one more opportunity for reflections, attenuation, and optical imperfection.

George
Hi George, when visual: safety first. So I would never use my home constructed CaK filter with the Baader Blue and the K-line as blocker for visual. Better safe than sorry so it is just imaging CaK for me. My advise would be (when using visual!) to not remove the 2 inch Lunt nosepiece with the two filters and change it for something else.

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out, Bart. I meant for imaging. I cannot see CaK. I just meant that they designed it for visual and they usually double cover everything. So if I use it for imaging, the camera will be fine without the Lunt ERF behind the bigger ERF.

Yes, for visual, my own rule is always use a full commercial setup, optionally adding filters but never subtracting.

George

Valery

Post by Valery »

George and all,

Do not remove Lunt pre-filter unless your image is too dark.

As for camera use for CaK imaging. To realize full resolution at 393nm with IMX174 chip one need to get F/40.
With IMX290 one need to get F/20-25.

I bought 290MM camera for CaK imaging - it has better sensitivity, lower noise and somewhat faster at full size frame. For H-a imaging I still use my Basler ASA1920-155 camera with IMX174 chip.

Hope this helps.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I'm tempted by a 290 for the same reasons Valery.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!