Thinking about a mount upgrade - questions

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
ffellah
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Thinking about a mount upgrade - questions

Post by ffellah »

Hello all: I am thinking about upgrading my mount. I do not want to go crazy with the price, and I am looking at the following: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro $1,595 here in the US. Other possibility the Celestron CGM II $1,499. Also looking at the iOptron IEQ 30 PRO $1,298. I would appreciate any feedback and direct experience with any of these mounts from the group. Specifically with regard to solar observing and imaging, as I do not do deep sky. Any other good mount suggestions are appreciated, within this price range.

Thank you,

Franco

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Thinking about a mount upgrade - questions

Post by marktownley »

Hi Franco.
I've been using a HEQ6 for over 10 years now and have been pleased with it, always copes with the weight when I load it up for outreach. I've got through a few handsets as these seem quite fragile (especially when dropped!), several handset cables and also needed a new PCB. But apart from that i'm happy. It's only ever really been used for solar, and night stuff only a few times. I might get it sent off this winter to a company here in the UK who hyper tunes them - new gears, regrease, backlash etc.
Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Hi Franco, choose a white mount, not a black one that under the Sun makes the tube hot. That said there are lot of mounts you can consider as an upgrade. I am currently using a Vixen SXD2 but I understand is beyond your price range. Had experience with older HEQ5 and EQ6, all fine for solar observing. Unfortunately most mounts are now sold complete with Go-To systems that are useless for solar but that must be paid anyway.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
bart1805
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by bart1805 »

Hi Franco, as mentioned earlier I was doing the same a couple of months ago. For me there were two things on top of the list:
- The payload, the 9 inch Rumak is really heavy.
- The weight of the mount itself, I have to build everything up and down in the garden and can't really use a dolly.

I switched between the CEM60 and the EQ6-R Pro (is in fact a hyper tuned version of the "normal" EQ6). Because of the weight of the mount itself I bought the CEM60. Of the three mounts you mention, I would go for the EQ6-R Pro.

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Thank you very much Mark, Raf and Bart for your input. Greatly appreciated.

Franco

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

Hi Franco...

Of the mounts you have listed, I like the EQ6 the most for features though it has a lot more packed into it for what you describe for your needs (GOTO). You might consider a used Losmandy GM8 if you can find one, without the Gemini GOTO pricing should be attractive too.

Just a thought,
Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
ffellah

Post by ffellah »

Thank you, Brian, I will check that out...

Franco