Omni xlt 120mm and quark

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
BertUK
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Omni xlt 120mm and quark

Post by BertUK »

Just testing the water to see if anyone has any advice on using the omni xlt 120 refractor with a quark.
What can i expect to see with the views,do i need an external erf.
Am i better off buying a dedicated solarscope.
Thanks in advance :D
Mick

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Omni xlt 120mm and quark

Post by marktownley »

At f8.3 I would think it would work very well. By far the weakest link will be the stock focuser.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Yep, that stock focuser is a nightmare. The scope is very much ok in H-Alfa.
I have the Skywatcher version and replaced the focuser with a Baader Diamond Steeltrack.
This scope has a very short tube. With the very long stock focuser and a 2" diagonal it will be ok. Wit focuser replacement you will need extension tubes.

I used (before my Quarl died) with the Baader focuser, 2 80 mm extensions to come to focus without diagonal. (Only 1 needed with the 2" diagonal)

Paul

BertUK
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by BertUK »

Thanks for the replies but my questions still arent answered,what views will i get,full disc partial??
Do i need an external erf?
Would i be better off with a dedicated solar scope?.

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Impossible to get full disc with that scope and standard Quark. The blocking filter only allows full disc view with scopes with fl ~400mm. (I have a 80mm f/6 -> 480mm FL, does not give me full disc either, FL just a tad to long)

An UV/IR (best a 2") in front of the Quark will do. Better a Baader 35nm H-Alfa filter. Blocks more and is cooler that the UV/IR.
My setup was: 2" UV/IR (later replaced with the 35nm H-Alfa); 2w 80mm extension tubes, quark, camera.
For visual: 2" UV/IR (later replaced with the 35nm H-Alfa); 2" diagonal, Quark.

Hope this helps

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Exactly what Paul says. Who knows if you will be better buying a dedicated solar scope - what do you want / expect?

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
BertUK
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by BertUK »

Ok thanks for the help,how would the quark perform with a 10" schmidt at 2500mm and a mak 180 at 2700mm,would i need erf,s with these also?

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

For Maks & SCT's you will need a cool front ERF. (Baader, Aries ...) Without it, too much heat will build up in the tube and reflected from primary to secondary mirror. You risc melting (if plastic parts) or secondary coming of (if glued) You can't work with an UV/IT in front of the mirror.
Of course you can use the off-axis erf with a combo quark, but what is the point of turning a big scope into something like a 50 or 60mm scope?

Quality: you will need good seeing, but there are always good moments. Others with the big systems (Valery, Mark, Franco ...) can probably advise on that.

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

With a big scope like your Mak or SCT unless you live somewhere in the UK with spectacular daytime seeing you won't be getting much use. I'd go with the 120 in the first instance.

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

PDB wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:11 pm For visual: 2" UV/IR (later replaced with the 35nm H-Alfa); 2" diagonal, Quark.
Does 2" eyepieces help bring details? The quark being 1.25...
PDB wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:37 pm I used (before my Quarl died) with the Baader focuser, 2 80 mm extensions to come to focus without diagonal. (Only 1 needed with the 2" diagonal)
What happened to your quark? Daystar fixed it?
These quarks seem fragile...

PST on its way to modding heaven
Quark + Orion 120mm + beloptik
LX65 8" ACF
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

The first one: my dealer sent it back to Daystar and they sent me something bach after a few months. (Replaced or new, can't say since they have no serial number. Too costly just to put a serial on it? My dealer took all the cost of sending it back and forth (warranty)
Second one looked ok with good contrast but later started to show strange spots (as if some internal "oil" spil. Probably could get another one, but sending it back to the US and pay import tax again and probably get another lemon. No thanks! Is a nice paper-weight now.

You get what you pay for .... Wel ask Rainer (rsfoto) about his daystar adventure.

Paul