New Quark

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

New Quark

Post by george9 »

I just had to report today's view through my new classic Quark H-alpha chromosphere. I loved my old Quark and used it for many years, but one day recently I heard a new rattling inside and noticed it didn't come to temperature or at least took a long time. I sent it to DayStar thinking they could tighten something, but they sent me what I assume is a replacement. Wow. I had looked through it in my 92mm f/7 and it seemed fine. But today for the first time I looked through my 155mm f/7 and got lucky on seeing. Wonderful contrast on the disk, bright spicules and (small) proms, and even across the field. I actually didn't even notice where the sweet spot is (I am sure there must be one, but that I didn't notice it is a good sign), and it is certainly uniform. That small filament today was obvious, and the disk was full of mottling. Yes, still less contrast than my LS80 DSII, but getting close. And so bright at high power. An amazing instrument.

With the right equipment, there is no need for a solar minimum to slow you down.

George

moshc
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: New Quark

Post by moshc »

Hi George,

Great report thanks for sharing! Do you think this replacement Quark is much better than the older one in bandwidth or was it mostly the seeing?

Do you think the contrast is closer to a single stack view or a DS view? I think I have a pretty good Quark (I agree, amazing instrument) and wondering if I should also get a dedicated scope since I can't get full disc views at all. But I'm also curious about a good DS view too.

Thanks!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good to hear you are pleased with your new Quark George. It's somewhat disconcerting to hear your original Quark ended up with a rattle, but also good to hear you got a result from Daystar.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

It was five years old and well used and well traveled, so I don't hold that against it. Things do happen.

That's a good question, was it just good seeing? I will check back over time. The fact that the 92mm looked "fine" points to a special day in a big scope.

The view looks like single stack in the sense that the double limb is prominent. But the surface looked detailed. I could actually just side-by-side my LS80 SS and the Quark on the 92 stopped down and see.

George

daslolo
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by daslolo »

george9 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:56 pm It was five years old and well used and well traveled, so I don't hold that against it. Things do happen.

That's a good question, was it just good seeing? I will check back over time. The fact that the 92mm looked "fine" points to a special day in a big scope.

The view looks like single stack in the sense that the double limb is prominent. But the surface looked detailed. I could actually just side-by-side my LS80 SS and the Quark on the 92 stopped down and see.

George
That's pretty amazing they replaced your quark past the 5 year period of the warranty!

PST on its way to modding heaven
Quark + Orion 120mm + beloptik
LX65 8" ACF