advise needed for double stacking DS Quark

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
axion
The Sun?
The Sun?

advise needed for double stacking DS Quark

Post by axion »

Hi All,

as a new to solar astronomy, may I ask your opinion on what would be the best filter to stack with DS Quark H-alpha "Eyepiece" Chromosphere model?

0. DS claims 0.5Å - is it true? can it be improved?
1. looking for the best quality (let's assume that price does not matter, but budget options are preferable)
2. less technical challenges, will be using with a refractor 106mm aperture f/5, with internal 4.2x barlow f/21, with extra 1.6x extender f/33.6, back focus 178mm.
3. what about this Lunt etalon https://optcorp.com/products/lunt-50mm- ... king-50fha ?

I guess it was discussed already somewhere... should have searched better.

Thank you,
Roman

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: advise needed for double stacking DS Quark

Post by marktownley »

Hiya Roman.

If i'm reading your question right; you have a 106/5 frac which you are using with a Quark Chromosphere? You are then potentially wanting to double stack with a Lunt50 etalon?

I have 2 cautions with this, putting a 50mm lunt etalon on the front of this setup will mean the effective aperture is only 50mm, so, even without the extender etc you will be running at f42 visually, which will be very dark!

Secondly, try before you buy if you can - been through a lot of front mounted etalons myself before I have found a good one... A less good one will just cause gradients.

DS claims are only about what you are stacking - couple of good 0.7a front mounted etalons will double stack to 0.5a - different grade etalons, types of etalons etc will stack to produce different final results - don't just take what the adverts say!

If cost is no object you need to take your time and buy many etalons till you find the best one - there's always a best one!

There's no quick way to Nirvana!

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
axion
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by axion »

Thx, Mark!

I was thinking to put a Lunt etalon behind my Quark, I believe I have seen some people do it. I asked since I was not sure I could improve much from 0.5a and what will be tech challenges. I would definitely try it before buying if I can.

axion
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by axion »

btw, this is the person I admire and follow on flickr. He is amazing, I dont know his name though. So one of his set ups which has inspired me for double stacking in particular and for solar astronomy in general: https://flic.kr/p/SPo9v6

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Okey dokes, the other way round works too. The only thing to consider is the weight (and then flexure) of the optical system. I've tried double stacking my quark with an external etalon this way, also with a PST etalon. The PST was (and still is) my preferred method for the reason above. I've tried the triple stacking, but the amount of light (not) getting through hinders it's day to day feasibility, but, is fun to try these things.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!