Why no DSLR cameras?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
dhkaiser
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Why no DSLR cameras?

Post by dhkaiser »

Why no DSLR cameras?

Brand new to Ha solar observing. While I await the arrival of my Lunt LS60HaTP, I have been perusing the forum. I don't see any reference to the use of any DSLR cameras with solar telescopes. Curious why not?

Dan
South central Indiana
USA
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Why no DSLR cameras?

Post by Merlin66 »

A fast frame mono camera allows you to freeze those fleeing moments of good seeing and by using Autostakkert 3 you can stack the video (AVI or SER) and sort for quality and then use Registax 6 to tweak the image for maximum definition.
DSLR’s are used but honestly of limited success.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Rusted

Post by Rusted »

Some astro cameras can exceed 300 fps video capture on the solar disk though an H-alpha telescope. In a few second you can have literally thousands of video frames to automatically sort for image quality using the free software mentioned by Merlin.

Atmospheric seeing conditions and even the wind, can spoil some images. But you still have so many thousands of good frames to choose from. So the chances are far greater of ending up with an incredibly sharp and detailed, still image after the clever video and image processing.

The process is called "lucky imaging." The software ensures your are far luckier than you ever would be in trying to capture individual stills. The video processing has become an advanced means of obtaining striking still images from only the best, selected frames.

Some highly skilled, solar imagers can produce amazing animations from the final processed, still images. By running them as frames, in series, as a moving video. The movement of the prominences and surface details, on the sun, can become tantalizing and almost hypnotic by being sped up from normal speed.

Enjoy your new telescope! The sun is, by far, the most active target for amateurs.

http://fullerscopes.blogspot.dk/

H-alpha: Baader 160mm D-ERF, iStar 150/10 H-alpha objective, 2" Baader 35nm H-a, 2" Beloptik KG3,
Lunt 60MT etalon, Lunt B1200S2 BF, Assorted T-S GPCs or 2x "Shorty" Barlow, ZWO ASI174.
dhkaiser

Post by dhkaiser »

Thank you Merlin and Rusted. Makes sense.

Dan
South central Indiana
USA
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

dhkaiser wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:00 pm Why no DSLR cameras?

Brand new to Ha solar observing. While I await the arrival of my Lunt LS60HaTP, I have been perusing the forum. I don't see any reference to the use of any DSLR cameras with solar telescopes. Curious why not?
Because the Bayer Matrix is your enemy, e.g. the colour filter which makes a DSLR a colour camera with its RGGB filter over the pixels of the imaging chip, and does not let through more then maybe 20% of H-Alpha light at the RED filter and the Green and Blue filters distort the H-alpha colour.

Another thing is White light images ... but for me they are boring ... It is a question of taste too ...

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

To expand a litlle bit futher on what Rainer said, with a DSLR camera we only have one pixel out of four which is sensitive to Halpha.
This means that resolution is divided by about 2 compared to a black and white sensor.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
Radon86
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Radon86 »

Hi dhkaiser,
I would like a lunt ls60 Ha telescope as well but cannot be sure of its worth compared to my 70mm ED refractor+Quark.
What camera will you use as the total plus the mount could add up.

I have thought about this, but would not spend this even if I was Bill Gates. As I have less than 12 clear days a year and the weather is too humid. I need an observatory and good view of the East horizon without roofs and concrete in the way. Is this too restrictive?
I am in London.

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year everyoneveryone!

Solar: H-alpha": Quark Chromosphere filter; Baader white light filters
Scopes: Altair Astro Travel ED70mm (F 420mm, D=70mm);; Skywatcher 90mm (F 910mm D=90mm); GSO focuser;;Altair Astro 60mm guidescope (D=60mm,F=225mm)
Cameras: ASI120mm-S,ASI174mm
Mount: SW HEQ5 Pro, SW EQ3 Pro Synscan (SW = Skywatcher),Vixen Polarie tracker (portable setup)
Accessory: SW Auto-focuser
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

dhkaiser wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:00 pm Why no DSLR cameras?

I wondered the same! I knew the video cameras were superior but was amazed at the total absence of DSLR solar photography. It makes me wonder how amateurs photographed the sun before monochrome video cameras and the stacking method. Did film SLR cameras do better than digital ones in respect to solar? Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's the best I did with solar photography was by photographing the projected WL solar image from a screen with a 110 or 126 Instamatic camera!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

In the old time, we were using BW films, for example Kodak Microfile AHU, Kodak TP 2415, etc.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/