Resolution vs. Details

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Pluton
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Resolution vs. Details

Post by Pluton »

Hi,
I am at the moment of deciding the acquisition of a solar telescope, my current budget places me between a Lunt 60 TT with a BF600 (of the old models) and a Coronado PST 40 DS, on the one hand with the Coronado PST 40 DS I can reach a 0.5 A for surface details and prominences, I suppose, on the other hand the Lunt 60 model has 20mm more aperture, higher resolution ..
I would really like to hear your opinions about it.
Very kind,
Pluton.

salvo lauricella
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Resolution vs. Details

Post by salvo lauricella »

Hi Pluton, I had a Coronado PST SS for many years (sold for buy the Lunt), now I have a Lunt 60THaPT/B1200 and I can say that the diffrence is noticeable. You can always add the Double Stack filter later (this is what I will do).
Hope this helps.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Can you try both before Pluton?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Pluton
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by Pluton »

No, unfortunately I can't try them before ..

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

The difference in aperture is worth getting the 60mm. I've done the 40mm double stack. I've done the 60mm double stack. I heavily prefer the views (visually) from a double stack. But, if you want to see things, especially for the next few years, aperture is going to matter a lot more I think. I would go 60mm single stack now. You can double-stack it later if you really enjoy it. While the contrast will be higher on the DS 40mm, it will be very limiting and also very dim. And when it's already that dim, increasing magnification just gets dimmer. Keep that in mind. PST's are a gamble. The Lunt 60 is way less of a gamble in terms of getting a decent etalon. Also, with the Lunt... way better focuser, better future upgrades, bigger sweet spot, and a bigger blocking filter (6mm vs 5mm) etc. All of this is better and makes a big difference later on.

Very best,

hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by hopskipson »

What's the point of more contrast if you can barely make out the details you are trying to see? Just my 2 cents. I started off with a Quark and a 102 mm refractor that I had in my stable. It shows lots of details when there are details to see. And if you get one used probably in your budget (if you have a refractor).

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter