B400 vs B600 for visual?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
nebulabru
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

B400 vs B600 for visual?

Post by nebulabru »

Hello,
For visual observation it is worth the BF600 compared to the BF400, in a Lunt LS50 solar telescope ??
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Nebu.
Last edited by nebulabru on Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: B400 vs B600 for visual?

Post by MalVeauX »

Hi Nebu,

Depends on how wide you want to go with eyepieces. 4mm is a tiny little hole to look through. 6mm is bigger than the PST's 5mm blocking filter aperture. Personally I went from 5mm to 10mm and the difference is good, I have more options for eyepieces and imaging trains and sensor sizes. I wouldn't buy a 6mm over a 4mm though, the difference is there, but its minor and the expense is great, if you were going for a new blocking filter, I would get the biggest one you can afford to make a real difference in end application like the 10mm~12mm sizes.

Otherwise, a double stack module would be far more beneficial if you want a more contrasty view.

Very best,

nebulabru
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by nebulabru »

Thanks Malveaux for your kind response, really, I am right now, looking for a solar telescope of initiation, I like the LS50 model, there is a price difference between the B400 and B600 blocking filter, but if really for visual observation the filter B400 (the cheapest) works well with the most common magnification .. !!
A few years ago I was able to observe through a PST 40 and it was not uncomfortable to look through it.
Cheers
Nebu

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

The only difference is the FOV really. There's more area with the 6mm which allows you to see more of the sun in the FOV magnified, or just a wider FOV in general when viewing the full disc, which will fit in the 4mm at low power, but will nearly hug the edges which can be annoying when there's really big proms or something in the maximum. Having that extra FOV would be more useful in the long run. I would at least go for the 6mm really. Bigger if possible for imaging if you cared about that, but otherwise, the 6mm would be the minimum in my opinion, having had 5mm to 10mm myself. But that's just my opinion and experience.

Then again I would also caution you against the 50mm Lunt in general. I know its the cheapest, but lots of compromise come with that (limited aperture, helical focuser, limited focus distance). I know its money but I would really consider the 60mm Lunt instead, with a crayford focuser and the 6mm blocking filter. I know its expensive, but it has a lot more long term value and pathways to add on to it.

Very best,