Solarscope SF70DS incoming

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Solarscope SF70DS incoming

Post by Highbury Mark »

I ordered the Solarscope 70DS filter package a few weeks ago - and it should be with me in a week or two, so thought I’d start a thread as there’s not much information out there on this intriguing company and their products - though I was helped in my decision by searching the archives of Solarchat, and in particular by Alexandra’s amazing images using both 70mm and 100mm filters.

My solar ha experience so far is limited to two double stacked Lunts (50 and 60), and a Quark which I use with a 4” refractor. I was close to buying a Lunt LS80DS, and then a Solar Spectrum 0.3A, but when I found out that the price of the SF70DS was only a little more here in the U.K. than the Lunt LS80 (DS, FT, B1800), I didn’t hesitate - I’d always thought that a Solarscope set up was beyond my means. The 70mm filters also pair nicely with my TV85.

As many of you will know, the firm was bought a couple of years ago. It’s been a pleasure to deal with the new owner, Helmut Kessler, who has kept me informed about the etalons as they’ve been assembled. Today he emailed saying: “I’m waiting for a day to field test the instrument, to make sure the filters are all adjusted properly, especially the second blocking filter to use with the double stack unit. As all combinations are slightly different (we specify <0.7A but our etalons are more like <0.5-0.6A) this is done specifically for each instrument. So the second blocking filter is adjusted in the field.” Can’t ask for better pre-delivery service!

The hope is that this will be a real step up from the Lunt 60 - a telescope I have very much enjoyed, but feel I need more for visual. Though only 10mm more aperture, I’m hoping for better contrast and more even detail for when Cycle 25 revs up, while still retaining the grab and go ease of a small refractor. Will report back on how things go.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Solarscope SF70DS incoming

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Highbury,
I have been following you on this and wish you the best. Normally I would say that only 10mm increase in aperture would'nt make that big a difference. That's why I wanted to got to at least 80mm in aperture. 20mm over my 60mm. BUT you did choose Solarscope which has a reputation for very high quality and that seems to be shaping out well judging by their customer service. And you haven't even gotten the etalons yet! I hope they just rock! :band May they revolutionize your solar observing experience!

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Looking forward to seeing your images with this setup, Mark. Solarscope products are excellent, as Alexandra so remarkably demonstrates.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

You have to remember that it is only 10mm greater in aperture than the Lunt 60 you had before, but did the Lunt 60 have a central obstruction? in which case the aperture difference would be more.

When he says the single stack is more like 0.6A I would say that would be true for mine when I first bought it. However, when I sent it back to be matched with a double stack it has never been the same and I have never been quite happy with it. Ken took the tuning wheel so far to one end that in cold temperatures (usually in the spring) I cannot get it on band as I can't get the wheel to go any further. It also decontacted on the one trip across the Irish sea. I hope that one day I will go on holiday to the Isle of Man, leave it with Helmut for the week and get him to test my single stack unit because I am sure there is something not quite right with it still. The double stack unit has been robust and unchangable throughout and never really needs tuning. My single stack certainly isn't what it used to be. I still love it but when you used to have perfection you always want it :)

I hope yours is as good as Pete Lawrence's and the one I tested because it was a super etalon (70mm).

Alexandra

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:56 am Highbury,
I have been following you on this and wish you the best. Normally I would say that only 10mm increase in aperture would'nt make that big a difference. That's why I wanted to got to at least 80mm in aperture. 20mm over my 60mm. BUT you did choose Solarscope which has a reputation for very high quality and that seems to be shaping out well judging by their customer service. And you haven't even gotten the etalons yet! I hope they just rock! :band May they revolutionize your solar observing experience!

James
Thanks James - there is always a compromise isn’t there? I was hesitant about an LS80DS because of the halo issues. Would love a larger scope but don’t have the space (or back strength) for it. My largest night refractor is 100mm - but it’s only 2.8kg so very easy to carry. I need something grab and go as so much of my solar observing is taking opportunity to grab a quick session. So I hope I’ve made the right decision.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Carbon60 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 am Looking forward to seeing your images with this setup, Mark. Solarscope products are excellent, as Alexandra so remarkably demonstrates.

Stu.
Thanks Stu - ‘fraid you might have to wait for those images. Never taken an astronomical photo in my life, though I probably will start in a few months with the new set up.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Montana wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:12 am You have to remember that it is only 10mm greater in aperture than the Lunt 60 you had before, but did the Lunt 60 have a central obstruction? in which case the aperture difference would be more.

When he says the single stack is more like 0.6A I would say that would be true for mine when I first bought it. However, when I sent it back to be matched with a double stack it has never been the same and I have never been quite happy with it. Ken took the tuning wheel so far to one end that in cold temperatures (usually in the spring) I cannot get it on band as I can't get the wheel to go any further. It also decontacted on the one trip across the Irish sea. I hope that one day I will go on holiday to the Isle of Man, leave it with Helmut for the week and get him to test my single stack unit because I am sure there is something not quite right with it still. The double stack unit has been robust and unchangable throughout and never really needs tuning. My single stack certainly isn't what it used to be. I still love it but when you used to have perfection you always want it :)

I hope yours is as good as Pete Lawrence's and the one I tested because it was a super etalon (70mm).

Alexandra
Interesting Alexander. Sorry your filters aren’t everything you’d hoped for - they are clearly at the limit of what’s possible with an unobstructed unit.
It’s the unique properties of every etalon, every stacked system, and everyone’s individual vision that make this such a frustrating but also addictive pastime! Obviously the aperture jump of only 10mm for me is an issue, I’m just hoping the quality of the Solarscope filters will make it worthwhile. The Lunt 60 has a 60mm unobstructed double stack filter so is no slouch. Another issue is seeing - my Quark paired with 100mm refractor is normally too much for my seeing here in London, so in that respect a 70mm set up could prove more usable. We shall see...

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

That should have been Alexandra - apols.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Highbury Mark wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:16 am
DeepSolar64 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:56 am Highbury,

James
Thanks James - there is always a compromise isn’t there? I was hesitant about an LS80DS because of the halo issues. Would love a larger scope but don’t have the space (or back strength) for it. My largest night refractor is 100mm - but it’s only 2.8kg so very easy to carry. I need something grab and go as so much of my solar observing is taking opportunity to grab a quick session. So I hope I’ve made the right decision.

Usually there is a compromise.

I hope you are as satisfied with your new etalons as I am my Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS. It is vastly superior to my Coronado 60 in resolution and detail. It performs superbly on proms and fine limb detail and given some disc activity should do well there too. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of disc observing due to lack of anything there and now when there is an AR it's cloudy or I have lack of time. Let us all know how they do when you get them. Do you plan to use them more visually or more for imaging?

Lunt scopes have no central obstruction.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Usually there is a compromise.

I hope you are as satisfied with your new etalons as I am my Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS. It is vastly superior to my Coronado 60 in resolution and detail. It performs superbly on proms and fine limb detail and given some disc activity should do well there too. I haven't had a chance to do a lot of disc observing due to lack of anything there and now when there is an AR it's cloudy or I have lack of time. Let us all know how they do when you get them. Do you plan to use them more visually or more for imaging?

No imaging - at least not yet. Want to get to know them visually first. But you’re right, it’s almost impossible to assess the visual performance of a double stack system - particularly a small one like mine, at the moment without greater activity. You really seem to have hit the jackpot with your new 90 though. Sounds like you’ve got a lifetime scope there.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I like the TV85 too. Nice scope. I have a close friend that had one a while back. It does very well and is grab and go portable. He also has a Takahashi FS 102 which gives even better views but is a much beefier instrument.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hi H Mark,

Thought you might be interested in this thread if you haven't seen it already:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6844 ... pe-sf70ds/

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Excellent thread, Bob!!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Thanks Bob!
Have to say that before I pressed the button on the filters, I squeezed Solarchat (and the rest of the internet) dry of all Solarscope content. And it didn’t take long. A few discussions and reports on CN. Very little on Stargazers’ Lounge in the UK. So that thread you posted had been very well absorbed.....

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

💚🐸🐊🐢🐍🐉🌲🌳🌴🌵🌿🍀🍃🌵🍏🍈⛳🔋📗💹🌄

It's Tuesday

Brian

" Gentlemen only ever use Refractors "
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

They’re here!
Attachments
043369E6-D73C-4240-B002-DA0B809EF67C.jpeg
043369E6-D73C-4240-B002-DA0B809EF67C.jpeg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 4581 times
39F8E714-5754-4D8A-8DA0-60B643B8626E.jpeg
39F8E714-5754-4D8A-8DA0-60B643B8626E.jpeg (4.05 MiB) Viewed 4581 times
0CE9C808-BDD3-46CC-9A57-58CF8AFB667A.jpeg
0CE9C808-BDD3-46CC-9A57-58CF8AFB667A.jpeg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 4581 times

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

New SF70DS arrived . Only had 10 minutes observing time today - with high cloud making conditions less than perfect - but already clear these filters are a step up from my LuntLS60 DS. Need a lot more time to fully assess - so will post reactions over the next few days, as long as U.K. weather plays ball

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Awesome! They look good on that TV85! Keep us posted on how they do.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Great news! No wonder the weather has turned from summer to autumn here :D

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I was going to say, you just got them in the nick of time on the very last day of sunshine. I'm sorry to say that we will no longer see the Sun again this year ;) :lol:

Alexandra

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Montana wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:11 am I was going to say, you just got them in the nick of time on the very last day of sunshine. I'm sorry to say that we will no longer see the Sun again this year ;) :lol:

Alexandra
Incredible isn’t it! Five weeks of beautiful sunshine. Now my weather app shows nothing but cloud.
Couldn’t reach focus with my binoviewer yesterday so at least this gives me time to work out a solution - a stronger Barlow is called for.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Brief update. I’ve had to grab quick views over the past few days when the blanket of cloud over London has momentarily lifted, so by no means found the perfect tuning combination yet. But very clear this is a beautiful double stack system.
The single stack view is pretty washed out, to be honest. Proms good, and surface detail certainly perceptible across the disc, but had read some reports that Solarscope single stack could be equivalent to other brands’ double stack - not the case from my first few sessions. But add the second filter and everything changes - stunning detail today around the active regions, and particularly the lovely filament. Bags of contrast. Using Pentax XF zoom, I was able to move up from 30x to 90x and maintain sharpness - just beautiful.
The detail is not consistent across the whole fov - still have to move the disc around to squeeze out the best contrast on different features, but it’s much more even than both the Lunts I’ve owned. It’s also marginally dimmer than my Lunt 60DS. Haven’t been able to focus my binoviewer yet - am sure that will help deliver even better views when I find the right barlow combination.
So very impressed so far - and can’t wait for some better weather.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Crossed my mind that maybe the single stack etalon on its own is unimpressive because it’s been specifically built to work with the second etalon? If I’d only ordered a single stack package, it might have been tuned differently? A question for the more technically knowledgeable forum members.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

My SMII90, actually a 102 in SS works wonderfully on proms and limb detail but so far is only so-so on disc detail. It's really bright. But the resolution it gives on the limb is outstanding. In DS it gives decent views but seems to be harder to tune than the 60. I can't look through the eyepiece at the same time I am twiddling the tuner. Arm is not long enough!

I am surprised that the Solarscope would give a more even tuned field than the Lunt scopes unless you are talking about one of their tilt-tuned models. Their pressure tuners by what I have read tune more evenly giving less of a sweet spot. Coronado scopes are tilt-tuned and have pronounced sweet-spots. At least mine does. The SMII 60 seems more so than the SMII 90.

The fact you can use high magnification says a lot too. On my Coronado SMII60, especially in DS I have to stick with lower powers. Detail just disappears with high magnification. I use the 25mm Cemax and 19mm Lunt eyepieces the most giving 16 and 21.5 power. I rarely ever use anything over 50x. The SMII 90 is a different animal. 100x and over is possible with good seeing.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Highbury Mark wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 pm Crossed my mind that maybe the single stack etalon on its own is unimpressive because it’s been specifically built to work with the second etalon? If I’d only ordered a single stack package, it might have been tuned differently? A question for the more technically knowledgeable forum members.
I think that's a question you need to ask Solarscope rather than rely on solarchat speculation.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:17 am My SMII90, actually a 102 in SS works wonderfully on proms and limb detail but so far is only so-so on disc detail. It's really bright. But the resolution it gives on the limb is outstanding. In DS it gives decent views but seems to be harder to tune than the 60. I can't look through the eyepiece at the same time I am twiddling the tuner. Arm is not long enough!

I am surprised that the Solarscope would give a more even tuned field than the Lunt scopes unless you are talking about one of their tilt-tuned models. Their pressure tuners by what I have read tune more evenly giving less of a sweet spot. Coronado scopes are tilt-tuned and have pronounced sweet-spots. At least mine does. The SMII 60 seems more so than the SMII 90.

The fact you can use high magnification says a lot too. On my Coronado SMII60, especially in DS I have to stick with lower powers. Detail just disappears with high magnification. I use the 25mm Cemax and 19mm Lunt eyepieces the most giving 16 and 21.5 power. I rarely ever use anything over 50x. The SMII 90 is a different animal. 100x and over is possible with good seeing.
Both my pressure tuned Lunts had sweet spots. You have to ‘clock’ the double stack filter to alter the sweet spot and reveal detail. Perhaps they are more even than the tilt models though.
That does seem low power for your SM60. Great that you can now crank it up with the 90.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

marktownley wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:20 am
Highbury Mark wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:50 pm Crossed my mind that maybe the single stack etalon on its own is unimpressive because it’s been specifically built to work with the second etalon? If I’d only ordered a single stack package, it might have been tuned differently? A question for the more technically knowledgeable forum members.
I think that's a question you need to ask Solarscope rather than rely on solarchat speculation.
I’ve only clocked up 20 minutes of viewing so far Mark so a lot more learning and experimenting to do. My question really related to any DS system like this - like the SMIII Coronado double stacks for example. Whether the single stack etalon is tuned differently if it’s to be used as part of a DS system.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Highbury Mark,
I never have quite figured out why my SMII60 doesn't do that well at higher magnifications. I have seen people post here with 40mm PSTs getting 60 power. One guy claimed 150 power with his Lunt tilt-tuned 60! 60x is a rare thing with my SM60 and usually if I can do it at all it is with a bright prom in single-stack. So I stick where it does best, under 32x. That is one reason I seeked a bigger scope. Better high magnification capability for better resolution.

What does " clock " mean concerning a double-stacked filter?

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

I suppose my normal viewing magnification with the 60mm Lunt was no more than 40x - so not that different to you - always prefer small and sharp than pushing mag too much. Goes for the planets too - read about people viewing Venus with a 4” refractor at 450x!! I’d say there are probably 3-4 times a year when I can go up to 180-200x in white light, but it’s very rare. Highest solar ha mag I’ve managed (while maintaining sharpness) is about 100x with Quark through 4” refractor. Suspect that’s going to be my maximum with the new set up too. Will be interesting seeing how far you can go with the SM90 on those days of perfect seeing.
‘Clocking’ just means turning the (external) double stack filter on the end of your solar scope to position the sweet spot more centrally. There are adapters you can buy which allow you to do this without unscrewing the unit, though in practice you don’t have to turn it much to achieve better results. - so adapter not really necessary.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Mark, Solarscope should have done the clocking for you. I have a wide band (straight line band) which is the sweet spot. The only clocking I did was to make sure this wide sweet spot band is horizontal when you look at the Sun, then this wide horizontal band is exactly the same orientation as the camera chip for maximum evenness. Difficult to explain really but in no way have I ever had to unscrew and turn one filter in regards to the other, they should be matched for you. I have never thought about doing that and how that would change the large wide band.

On a second point, my single stack filter has never been the same since it was double stacked. It used to be amazing to use, now I never use it in single stack mode because it is very uninspiring, I do not know what Ken did to when it went in to be double stacked, this is why I wanted to get Helmut to check it over if I was ever in the Isle of Man. Maybe it was a deliberate change I don't know but if I could only twist the tuner further round I might be able to get it on band better. One of the changes, was that he changed the tuner so that 'on band' was right on one edge of the turn wheel rather than in the middle. The double stack is at the other end, this mean you never get a ghost even close, but on my single stack I can't always get on band either as it is past the tuning wheel end. It is a bit like my PST problem but that was easily rectified by changing the pin, I can't do that on the Solarscope.

There is always a problem with any brand and I guess you get used to it, but it is annoying on cold days when I cannot get on band and have to wait 30 minutes for the Sun to warm up the filter.

Alexandra

Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

I think that is a bit peculiar with regard to the solarscope in single stack ... I admit my only

experience with them is in SS mode but here the view was perfect and all on band , of course

the classic procedure is to tune the SS to most contrast before adding the DS unit , on a foot

note I've really always been a DS fan but this year I've been using SS much more and have

enjoyed what is perhaps the best compromise between surface and Limb detail.

And James I have often used my 60DS with a 10mm before the image has started to deteriorate

but more commonly with a 12mm.

Oh and Alexandra what's the PST pin you were referring to plz ?

Brian

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Montana wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:21 am Mark, Solarscope should have done the clocking for you. I have a wide band (straight line band) which is the sweet spot. The only clocking I did was to make sure this wide sweet spot band is horizontal when you look at the Sun, then this wide horizontal band is exactly the same orientation as the camera chip for maximum evenness. Difficult to explain really but in no way have I ever had to unscrew and turn one filter in regards to the other, they should be matched for you. I have never thought about doing that and how that would change the large wide band.

On a second point, my single stack filter has never been the same since it was double stacked. It used to be amazing to use, now I never use it in single stack mode because it is very uninspiring, I do not know what Ken did to when it went in to be double stacked, this is why I wanted to get Helmut to check it over if I was ever in the Isle of Man. Maybe it was a deliberate change I don't know but if I could only twist the tuner further round I might be able to get it on band better. One of the changes, was that he changed the tuner so that 'on band' was right on one edge of the turn wheel rather than in the middle. The double stack is at the other end, this mean you never get a ghost even close, but on my single stack I can't always get on band either as it is past the tuning wheel end. It is a bit like my PST problem but that was easily rectified by changing the pin, I can't do that on the Solarscope.

There is always a problem with any brand and I guess you get used to it, but it is annoying on cold days when I cannot get on band and have to wait 30 minutes for the Sun to warm up the filter.

Alexandra
No - I won’t be changing the etalon positions with this new set up Alexandra - clocking was a technique that I picked up from other Lunt owners as the sweet spot was smaller and more pronounced with those scopes. TS in Germany sells the dedicated adapters for the LS60 DS - don’t know if you can buy similar adapters for Coronado? The two Solarscope etalons fit together so perfectly, with the two tuning dials in exactly the same place, there’s no question that they have been engineered to be precisely aligned.
From what you say, it does sound possible that SS etalons are retuned when prepared for double stacking. Have to say, after limited experience so far, double stack views are so impressive that I will never use it single stacked anyway. Also proms look just as good with DS as single stacked.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Mark, that's what I always think too, the prominences are just as bright, in fact more pronounced in DS!

Brian, both of my PSTs had tuning where centreline was right on the furthest extent of what you could twist the etalon and on some days it would be past what you could twist. If you take off the rubber gripper, unscrew the screw and pull forward the plate you will see a series of holes underneath. If you carefully remember to have the pin (screw) in the furthest point when you start then you can replace the ring back and screw the screw back in to the next hole along. You must remember where you are to start and only go one hole further along otherwise if you go too far you can over twist the etalon. I am absolutely scared stiff of touching and breaking my PST and yet I managed this (I felt rather proud after) so it must be an easy fix. Both PSTs work much better now.

Alexandra

Solar B
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Solar B »

Yes prominences do appear more 3 dimensional when DS I think but I'm just going
with different things this summer , I'm using higher mags than I'd normally do to !

Thanks for the detail on the PST Alexandra ... I had seen it before under the rubber cover
but didnt know what it was for , I may have a wee tinker with one of my PSTs.

Brian

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Highbury Mark,
I have gotten my SMII90 up to 133x under good seeing conditions in single stacked configuration without losing detail. I think given the right conditions, excellent seeing and a bright feature I could exceed this. I was impressed by that. Double-Stacked the image is dimmer and disk details are usually of lower contrast than on the limb. Still I can reach 100x in DS, especially with brighter features. I typically use this scope between 32x and 80x. A much wider magnification range than I can use on my SMII60.

My Coronado SMII 90 does better on average on limb detail and prominences in SS. Given good seeing I can often see fine filamentary details and knots in the prominences and given good to excellent seeing the individual spicules. Double-Stack gives a significantly dimmer image not only because the sunlight passes through two filters but because the the 90mm external stacking etalon stops the scope's aperture down from 102mm to 90mm. That does make some difference in both image brightness and resolution. Still, DS does give excellent detail in brighter proms. The internal etalon of the SM90 is 60mm.

I had originally planned on getting a Lunt LS100Tha double-stacked scope. They proved formidably expensive. Too expensive, plus they replaced it with a modular version which I think cost a little more but having other decent nighttime refractors it was a capability low on my list. I didn't lose much with the big Coronado. 102mm in SS. Comparable with the Lunt and 90mm in DS just a little smaller. At half the price! I am not complaining at all! :)

It sounds like your 70mm Solarscope outperforms my 60mm Coronado by a fair margin.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Good stuff James. It’s a real benefit to have 4” single stack option - never knew that about the SM90.

Wasn’t expecting to do any solar observing today, but at 11am the clouds parted, and Gong showed a beautiful filament emerging from the main active region. I set up the TV85/SF70DS, got comfortable, threw the silver reflective blanket over me, and focused. Was greeted with stunning views of the solar disc, and particularly the filament - charcoal grey, sharply contrasted against the background AR. I’ve been solar observing for six years, but never experienced anything like this. Using my trusty Pentax XF zoom, I went up from 30x to 75x with no loss of sharpness, but even more detail of this superb filament. The active region showed beautifully too - almost photographic patterns of the chromosphere. All too soon the clouds put an end to the fun. But these filters are already exceeding expectations.
Still have to see how they perform with a binoviewer too - have a Baader 2.6x GPC on order so my BV can come to focus. Pairs of 40mm and 20mm Televue Plossls, and 25mm Fujiyama orthos will give magnifications between 38x and 75x. So looking forward to trying those. Only problem is the British weather - looks like we will be dodging clouds for the next couple of weeks.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

HM,
It sounds like you had an awesome viewing session. I am preparing to post mine shortly. It sounds like your Solarscope/TeleVue 85 setup compares more with my SMII90 than with my SMII60.

I see a binoviewer in my future too. I have two Cemax 25mm and two Cemax 12mm eyepieces as well as two Edmund 28mm RKE eyepieces.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Those RKEs should be wonderful for solar binoviewing - as long as you can position your eyes to take account of the long eye relief.
You probably know all this James - but it’s not necessary to spend a great deal on a binoviewer - I’ve just been comparing a £1,000 Baader Mark V with a £160 Skywatcher/OVL unit and the view on axis is almost the same. If you want wider fov without stretching to the expense of a Mk V/Denk/Televue, then Baader’s new Maxbright II is well worth a look.
BVs really are terrific for solar. Don’t think they actually show me more detail - they’re just much more comfortable.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

HM,
That is why I like the Edmund RKE eyepieces so much. I wear glasses and unless it is a high power eyepiece I require them for viewing. Eye relief is a must for me!

I had forgotten. I also have two 20mm and two 10mm MA eyepieces in my nighttime eyepiece case as well. 50 degree apparent field. Adequate for solar use. I certainly have enough multiple eyepieces for a binoviewer.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Update....
Getting to know the TV85/Solarscope set up has been faster than other scopes. After years of pressure tuned Lunts, there’s obviously less adjusting. At first you almost miss revving up that Lunt piston, but for inveterate fiddlers like me it’s now easier to focus on observing. Detail, sharpness and contrast of solar features are so excellent that there’s no compulsion to keep trying to improve the view. It’s all there in front of you.
Having said that, I still need to work out how to centre the “sweet spot” (which is about half the fov) when using a single eyepiece. The reason I haven’t done so yet is because I’ve now managed to reach focus with both of my binoviewers (one a cheap Chinese instrument and TV40mm Plossls producing 30x, and the other a Baader MkV with 1.7X GPC and AP Barcon producing about 65x) - both BVs effectively solve the sweet spot issue. As I expect to use the MkV 80% of the time I’m leaving the tuning as it is right now. Will be pushing the MkV up to 100x next time the seeing allows, but at 65x this afternoon, despite a relatively inactive Sun, the view was just gorgeous.
Attachments
483A0A3D-F5AB-40D2-BDAF-C27BFABB90D7.jpeg
483A0A3D-F5AB-40D2-BDAF-C27BFABB90D7.jpeg (29.24 KiB) Viewed 4331 times

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

How and why do the BVs help the sweet spot?

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

marktownley wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:23 pm How and why do the BVs help the sweet spot?
They centre it - at least at the tuning positions I’ve been using so far.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I wonder how the binoviewer would affect the sweet spot in my tilt-tuned Coronados? Similarly, I guess?

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Well worth trying James. I don’t remember binoviewing making much of a difference to sweet spots of previous Lunts, but with this set up it’s marked.
Playing around a bit more with the tuning of both filters today has shown me I haven’t yet found perfect tuning position for both cyclops and binoviewing. Another issue is physically reaching the far tuner while observing - I’m 6ft 5ins and I can only just reach. Having fun though...

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Forgot to say, very nice image adorning the cover of the Solarscope manual by Alexandra! :bow
Attachments
FA359F63-1D8F-44DE-B6E1-AEB3CF46CF02.jpeg
FA359F63-1D8F-44DE-B6E1-AEB3CF46CF02.jpeg (3.04 MiB) Viewed 4296 times

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Highbury Mark wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:46 pm Well worth trying James. I don’t remember binoviewing making much of a difference to sweet spots of previous Lunts, but with this set up it’s marked.
Playing around a bit more with the tuning of both filters today has shown me I haven’t yet found perfect tuning position for both cyclops and binoviewing. Another issue is physically reaching the far tuner while observing - I’m 6ft 5ins and I can only just reach. Having fun though...
Highbury Mark,
I too have trouble reaching the far tuner of the SMII90 ( DS etalon ) as well. I have to tune-look-repeat until I get it right. The SMII60 is so much easier since I can reach the DS tuner wheel with ease while I am looking through the eyepiece.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

After living with these filters for a few weeks, have to say they have exceeded my expectations in almost every way. They produce breathtakingly beautiful views of the sun in ha. Have now perfected tuning - which no longer requires adjustment, so scope is ready for observing at all times. Mostly use Baader MkV binoviewer with TeleVue Plossls and Fujiyama orthos, Pentax XF zoom for cyclops. The surface detail is intoxicating - incredible contrast on filaments and detail on proms, on a different level to my previous double stacked Lunt 50 and 60, though still need to move the disc around the fov with my Skytee 2 to bring out the best in each feature. Can get proms and filaments perfected together, but need to slew the image around to pick up best detail in active regions. The other remarkable thing is I can push the power up to 80x-90x with no loss of sharpness. Views over the past few weeks have been among the most stunning I’ve had in over 20 years of astronomy.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

HM,
It sounds like you found your ideal scope. My Coronado's too often hold tuning well but I often knock them off removing the front etalon and sometimes moving the scope around. Still, by what I have read Solarscope and Solar Spectrum etalons rate higher than Coronado and Lunt do. Enjoy the views my friend.

If you are like me you wish you could have gotten into Ha years sooner.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars

Image Visual Observer
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

DeepSolar64 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:19 am HM,
It sounds like you found your ideal scope. My Coronado's too often hold tuning well but I often knock them off removing the front etalon and sometimes moving the scope around. Still, by what I have read Solarscope and Solar Spectrum etalons rate higher than Coronado and Lunt do. Enjoy the views my friend.

If you are like me you wish you could have gotten into Ha years sooner.

James
Thank you James.I’m so pleased you are getting such fine views with your new scope too. I totally relate to your last comment - I’m 56 now and only started solar ha observing 5-6 years ago - but then I could never have afforded this expensive equipment years ago. Am just appreciating that I’m able to enjoy the magic of ha solar as an enthusiastic amateur today

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

HM,
I have been doing white light for many years but I am very new to Ha. Only a year and a half! I almost bought a PST back in 2013 but my budget at that time was too tight to comfortably afford one. I do now wish I would have taken the dive then. I am 55 so our ages are pretty close.

James

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars