DayStar ST 60/930 SolarScout SS60-ds H-Alpha OTA

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Charon_X
The Sun?
The Sun?

DayStar ST 60/930 SolarScout SS60-ds H-Alpha OTA

Post by Charon_X »

I am thinking of buying Daystar Solarscout https://www.astroshop.eu/solar-telescop ... ta/p,59709 , It is cheaper than Lunt and Coronado, the disadvantage is the long focal length and it can be a problem how to get the whole shield visually and photographically. My PGR Chameleon 2.0 camera has too little field to catch the entire Sun dial. Are there any cameras with a large enough field with a large field?

Solarscout consists of a small refractor and a budget Quark. Can you use this Quark and use it in a larger telescope, I have ED 102/714?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: DayStar ST 60/930 SolarScout SS60-ds H-Alpha OTA

Post by marktownley »

I know they're cheap, but from what I see of poeples experiences online they are very hit and miss in terms of quality. I'd recommend saving some money up and buying something else. Does this retailer have a full no questions returns policy if the scope isn't up to standard?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
MalVeauX
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by MalVeauX »

Heya,

If you want an inexpensive Daystar filter that will work on all of your scopes, just get a standard Quark or Combo Quark. It will cost more. But it's significantly better overall than what you'll be limited to with the SolarScout SS60DS. The Scout is inexpensive for a reason. You're stuck with a tiny aperture with a long focal-ratio and long effective focal-length which means to image you'll need a much larger sensor and it will have to have big pixels to sample appropriately. This is a pretty awful setup for imaging frankly as larger sensors are expensive. And you simply will hardly be able to do full disc images without a bigger sensor, which means mosaics. Mean while you can configure your own solar scope with a standard Quark on a smaller scope at your whim, any refractor, a short little 60mm F6 or 80mm F5 or whatever, or longer ones, or bigger 102mm or 127mm refractors, all available to be used with your standard Quark without anything more than a basic 2" UV/IR block filter to help with thermal handling.

If you really are mostly interested in full discs, I would suggest you save and get a quality instrument that is great for full discs like a Lunt 60mm with crayford focuser or Coronado SMIII series with crayford focuser and go for at least a 10mm blocking filter (+/-) so that you can use larger sensor sizes without vignetting on the disc.

You get what you pay for in this, so going for the lowest entry item will give you the maximum amount of compromise.

Very best,

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I have a Coronado SolarMax II 60 which does well. It’s not a high power instrument but does well on full disk visual.

[url][https://www.skiesunlimited.com/solarmax ... 5.html/url]

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Charon_X
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Charon_X »

I found the manual: https://astronomyplus.com/wp-content/up ... Manual.pdf This Quark can also be used in another refractor only that it is smaller than the standard Quark.
And in Canon 550D I would probably get a full disk.

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

I think you’ve got some very sound advice above from Mark and Marty. Think I’d even prefer one of the new Lunt 40mm scopes to a Solar Scout, but ideally see if you can stretch to an LS50 - very nice little scope

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Charon_X wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:39 pm And in Canon 550D I would probably get a full disk.
Using DSLRs for solar is really not recommended...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Charon_X
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Charon_X »

Thanks for the answers. In the cheapest version of the Solarscope, however, the Quark cannot be twisted. Therefore, I will not buy it.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I would certainly go for either a Lunt 50 or Coronado PST or SolarMax II or III 60-70. The new Lunt 40 is quite affordable too.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces