LUNT 60MM TILT TUNED SOLAR TELESCOPE DS

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
wglogowski
The Sun?
The Sun?

LUNT 60MM TILT TUNED SOLAR TELESCOPE DS

Post by wglogowski »

I have been poking around past posts regarding Lunt Tilt Tuned scope that are DS and looking for any advice on how to properly tune the scope for imaging. I'm having a devil of a time getting proper tuning. Here are a few questions: 1) do you need to tune each time you image? Most of the time when I start to mess with the primary etalon and then the DS etalon I get it so messed up I have to remove my camera and use an eyepiece to get back to alignment. It seems like I'm just not getting very good definition of surface features... I know a lot has to do with post-processing but I think it's user error on my part. 2) the DS unit, if you take it off and tilt it back and forth I can hear a slight clicking sound as if something is loose inside. Should I be brave and take it apart and look inside? Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. I posted two recent images of the results I'm getting. Let me know what you think.
ImPG Processed_8-22-20.jpg
ImPG Processed_8-22-20.jpg (671.88 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
8-21-20.jpg
8-21-20.jpg (156.39 KiB) Viewed 1932 times

DeepSolar64
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: LUNT 60MM TILT TUNED SOLAR TELESCOPE DS

Post by DeepSolar64 »

Since I am primarily a visual observer I can only guess here. Most of the features imaged can also be seen visually so I would tune the scope by eye and when I can see the desired features then I would try to image them. And different features may also require different tuning positions. The observers altitude can even affect tuning. But I would guess tune by eye then image. But experienced imagers here may disagree with me or know another way. I am not experienced at all in imaging.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

It looks like you have quite a sweet spot there.

The easiest method I find is using the camera. First use only your single stack and try and get the the darkest image (most contrast on the features). It helps if there is a good filament on show but you can use the spicule layer if you look closely. You will find that one area in the screen is more on band than another area. Move the Sun around the field of view and try and position the Sun in the field of view where the 'on band' area is most consistent and even over the solar disc. It doesn't matter if the Sun is positioned to the top left or bottom right because you can crop your image later and centralise. It is important to find where this sweet spot is and stay in it.

Then add your double stack and this time tune for the brightest most even and contrasty in your sweetspot area. Sometimes you have to actually turn the etalon around to achieve this (unscrew from tight but DONT let it drop off!!). It is a mix between tuning the etalon and clocking the etalon around too.

For my PST I have to keep the Sun in the bottom left of the camera field of view and my DS etalon has to be loosened so that it is 180 degrees from the tight position.

I hope this helps, it sounds complicated but once you get your eye in to what you are looking for it will click :)

Alexandra

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Alexandra’s advice is absolutely spot on. I operate a DS Lunt 60 and take the approach described. It can be really fiddly to get everything ‘perfect’ and sometimes, for whatever reason, it doesn’t quite work out. It does take patience and practice.

The other side of the equation, of course, is processing. Proper stacking, deconvolution and sharpening are as important (almost) as tuning. Lots of information on this site about that.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

As your images show, tilt tuned etalons tend to produce bands of bright and darker regions. I’ve just moved from a pressure tuned scope to a double tilt set up and it takes a while to find the best compromise.
As far as ‘clocking’ the far etalon is concerned, fortunately Lunt DS filters are well machined, so if you loosen it by up to a single rotation, there’s no danger of the unit falling off. If it’s a concern, you can buy special clocking adapters (from Teleskop Service in Germany) which make turning the etalon very easy and safe.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
wglogowski
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by wglogowski »

63332855-84B2-4BA5-9A74-FA6C602BD4DC.jpeg
63332855-84B2-4BA5-9A74-FA6C602BD4DC.jpeg (78.65 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Thank you for all your great advice! I did stumble on this link and checked my blocking filter and it was covered in gunk. I cleaned the glass per directions from Lunt but have not yet had an opportunity to try to image. I’ll let you know what happens.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3167 ... regret-it/

_Zakalwe
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by _Zakalwe »

wglogowski wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:21 am 63332855-84B2-4BA5-9A74-FA6C602BD4DC.jpeg

Thank you for all your great advice! I did stumble on this link and checked my blocking filter and it was covered in gunk. I cleaned the glass per directions from Lunt but have not yet had an opportunity to try to image. I’ll let you know what happens.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3167 ... regret-it/
The filter has failed. Contact Lunt directly and they will ship you a new filter free of charge.
Mine failed like that, though it was no way as severe. Their European distributor sent me a new filter in about a week. My scope was 8 years old at the time, but there were no questions asked.

wglogowski
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by wglogowski »

I did contact Lunt and they are sending a replacement. I have read that you should check the filter at least once a year.

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I have been concerned with the possibility of rust occurring on my Coronado blocking filters. Due to my home being air conditioned there is always the probability of the optics fogging up when I take them outside during hot humid weather. I place an eyepiece in the BF before going out and don't change it until the scope equalizes in temperature to reduce the chances of the BF fogging up. I cap the scope before coming in winter to avoid the same issue, in reverse of course. Keeping humidity/moisture away from those blockers is a must! I cannot figure out why Lunt and Coronado doesn't overcoat them with something to prevent the rust issue.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
wglogowski
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by wglogowski »

From my research on the topic, it seems like a common occurrence with Lunt scopes, I'm not sure why Lunt does not give you instructions for routine inspections. The slow deterioration of seeing conditions is hard to discern... especially when imaging the Sun because of normal seeing interference. This is something I'm going to keep a close watch on. I'm recently retired and had given up on my ocasional solar imaging because I was getting such crummy results. Now that I'm retired I decided to give it another try and I'm sure that prior problems with poor image quality were probably due to the filter slowly getting covered with gunk.

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Am sure you’re right - so many owners have reported significantly improved views once the blocking filters are working properly again. There’s no doubt your etalons look to be operating well, so fingers crossed

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge