The difference between CaK modules

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Charon_X
The Sun?
The Sun?

The difference between CaK modules

Post by Charon_X »

There are 2 types of CaK modules

https://www.astroshop.eu/mounted-glass- ... 2-focuser/ p, 15925

https://www.astroshop.eu/eyepiece-side- ... 2-focuser/ p, 15917

For a photo, there is probably no difference, but for observation the star diagonal version would be more convenient. But the in extension tube version is cheaper. If I bought the cheaper version, I can use a regular star diagonal for observation?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: The difference between CaK modules

Post by marktownley »

Can you see anything in CaK? It really is a wavelength only designed for imaging in.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
JochenM
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by JochenM »

There's indeed no difference between the two filtering wise (with the diagonal version having more glass/surface obviously, hence the price difference).

As Mark says, if you're strictly interested in visual use; make sure you can actually see detail in that wavelength (most people can't; yours truly included). In which case it would throwing away money for nothing if you can't.

Jochen Maes
Belgium
https://www.jochenmaes.com
Charon_X
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Charon_X »

I am interested in both visual and astrophotography. A few years ago I was looking through Lunt CaK and you could see details, although the image was dark - it was a bit like observing a deep sky object.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

As said here previously, the Calcium-K line of light is primarily for imaging purposes.

Having said that, many years ago I was privileged to be able to look through an early Cal-K version in London and although was told the same by its' owner, I also was able to see some detail.

Then in the earlier-part of this century, my astronomy club were intent on buying both Ha and Cal-K PST scopes, where I was the first to try them out.

At an open-day event and although our Chairman had openly said that one cannot see with the "MK.1 Eyeball" anything through Cal-K, so as I was the first member to utilise both of those PST's, I tested the fact that I could clearly see through the Cal-K - a disk of a "Hue of Blue" as I call it.

I then got a young lad to do the same, even though it was definitely pointing at the Sun - he could not see anything (even after "Eye Adaption").

Later, that same test between others has shown that it has little or nothing to do with the age or sex of the viewer and assuming that the "Eye Adaption" technique is used before hand, then some can see the "Hue of Blue" and/or some detail (if present), showing that is clearly dependent on the make-up of the viewers' own eyes.

When and if necessary, I can and still do use direct-viewing through my own Lunt 60mm Cal-K scope +B1200 Blocking-Filter with or without an Eye-Piece to do any aligning along with the Ha and WL scopes, although now it is much easier to use both the "Universal Solar Finders" on each scope and/or their cameras to the computer - using SharpCap or similar program.

I am not a young person either...

Terry