Advice requested on Quantum filter purchase

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Advice requested on Quantum filter purchase

Post by Ljungmann »

Bob, I did pay 50 dollars to to get a test sheet. We did The same with the two 0.5A University filters. I think just like top quality Apos and mirrors you need to have some numbers to look at. If the SM90ii is on band I will not be happy at all. Rainers filter sheet with Freds shows that my Quantum 0.6 SE filter is much more on-band FWHM that The PE filters. But maybe its much more difficult to make a 0.4A or 0.3A filter “flat”.

rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

I see one problem and that is the prices you can get nowadays the H-alpha filters.

When I bought my stuff I paid around US $ 8,000.00 for two SM60 filters and one BF 30 and the people working for Coronado were really committed to their products ... Custom matching of 2 filters for best stacking were normal ... Now it is easier to win the Lottery ...OK, a bit exaggerated from my side

Look here for the price of the same filters nowadays

https://optcorp.com/collections/coronad ... ter-w-bf15

US $ 1,599.00 and that by two would be US $ 3,200.00 for which I paid in 2008 around US $ 6,500.00 (BF30 cost those days US $ 1,500.00)

Can they still make the same quality for 50% of the price ? I dare to say no and they do not care. Watching the Sun has become so popular that they do not need to care about quality.

Rookies buy a filter, look through, are amazed with what they see and then in the same way as our printed Photos from the Birthday, Wedding or Vacations in Gran Canaria they are buried in the drawer and never ever again see the Sun Light ...

As always just IMHO ...

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Ljungmann wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:44 pm Bob, I did pay 50 dollars to to get a test sheet. We did The same with the two 0.5A University filters. I think just like top quality Apos and mirrors you need to have some numbers to look at. If the SM90ii is on band I will not be happy at all. Rainers filter sheet with Freds shows that my Quantum 0.6 SE filter is much more on-band FWHM that The PE filters. But maybe its much more difficult to make a 0.4A or 0.3A filter “flat”.
Hi,

Interesting. The QUANTUM SE 0.6Å filter has a price of US $ 5,520.00 and you had to pay US $ 50.00 for getting a test sheet ?

They can not even afford to provide it together with the filter ? less then 1% ... to be exact 0.91% :lol:

I have noticed that we Amateurs are far too much acquiescent with our providers. We send them loads of money and still defend ...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

Rainer, it was a upgrade from an ATM filter and they dont do tests for free and you will not get a SE filter test with a new filter. You have to know how you read the numbers when its not a PE filter. The SE filters can be anywhere from nearly PE to The minimum SE quality. It means that FWHM and spectral uniformity can vary.

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

... and they don't do tests for free ...
You made my day ... Thanks

OK, I got it, but good customer service and customer satisfaction are based on information about the product you get from the producer. Especially in this price regions of thousands of Dollars or even tens of thousands ...

I read something in one of your posts mentioning University ... even more a reason to provide you = University with good info as there are hundreds of potentials customers there ;)

OK, and I will stop here now, makes no sense to keep discussing this.

I was very excited in getting a PE filter and I got trash ... customer service was under par ... they cheated on me and I will never forget it ... DayStar is History for me ...

Rainer

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

One last message in this regard and a side not ...

Fred Bruenjes from DayStar saw my images with my ridiculous double stacked original Coronado SM 60 + BF30 filters and judged them to be somewhere at 0.3Å to 0.4Å and afterwards I bought the QUANTUM PE 0.4Å.

So not even my images where a reason for DayStar to really check what they would deliver me ... sad sad sad

and now bye bye

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

Rainer I will try to stop too. But in the old days when it was Del Woods who was the owner, you will not get a test sheet. I dont think he did test them that way. It was more of an artist working with these delikate mica etalons. You have to trust that he did a good job even it took years to get a filter. For me is SolarSpectrum an evolution on the shoulders of Del and I do trust that the company has an “artist” way of making the very best filters out there.

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Ljungmann wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:55 pm Rainer I will try to stop too. But in the old days when it was Del Woods who was the owner, you will not get a test sheet. I dont think he did test them that way. It was more of an artist working with these delikate mica etalons. You have to trust that he did a good job even it took years to get a filter. For me is SolarSpectrum an evolution on the shoulders of Del and I do trust that the company has an “artist” way of making the very best filters out there.
We are not talking about the old days, we are talking about a year and a half ago, maximum two years ...

We all know the " Old Days " were better ... :shock:

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

My "new" quantum PE (.3 etalon, blocker and trimmer) will arrive today. I hope to test it later this week. They didnt have a copy of the test report to send me. I guess I needed to ask them prior to shipping it back

They did warn me when I shipped it for service, they were very backed up with work.

Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Well - this thread has certainly cleared a few cobwebs. Very refreshing. The variability in solar etalons currently being made is too great. All it does is allow prices to come down over time, when what true enthusiasts want is some degree of assurance that they can buy a filter matching the advertised bandwidth (and as Bob says finesse). And I suspect most of us would be happy to pay more for peace of mind. Despite the challenges of making perfect filters - “more of an art than a science” it has been described - it’s simply not good enough to allow substandard products to enter the marketplace. Yet - as the previous post makes clear - they are busier than ever.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Highbury Mark wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:55 am Well - this thread has certainly cleared a few cobwebs. Very refreshing. The variability in solar etalons currently being made is too great. All it does is allow prices to come down over time, when what true enthusiasts want is some degree of assurance that they can buy a filter matching the advertised bandwidth (and as Bob says finesse). And I suspect most of us would be happy to pay more for peace of mind. Despite the challenges of making perfect filters - “more of an art than a science” it has been described - it’s simply not good enough to allow substandard products to enter the marketplace. Yet - as the previous post makes clear - they are busier than ever.
Hi Mark,

You summarized it very well and especially this ...
... when what true enthusiasts want is some degree of assurance that they can buy a filter matching the advertised bandwidth (and as Bob says finesse). And I suspect most of us would be happy to pay more for peace of mind.
I could have ordered a QUANTUM SE 0.4Å (for half the money) but no, I wanted the best in 0.4Å and therefor I ordered a PE ¿ and what did I get ? Neither a " Piece of Art " and not even " Peace of mind " ...

:?

OK, " Schwamm drüber " :lol: it is German

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

In the rear mounted etalon world I will always give the advice to buy the normal SE filters or the same from SolarSpectrum. So many other things can interfere like your telescope, temperatures, telecentric lenses, reducers, eyepieces, your own eyes astigmatism and cameras etc. that the SE type works pretty good - and it is cheaper. If you really do your homework one company do make better “normal” filters.

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

I received my repaired Quantum PE. I returned a .38 and received a .32. The results are very disappointing. I talked with Daystar and they are going to take it back and evaluate it.

These images were taken from a 100/F11 refractor F44 at the Quantum.

The first set of images are taken 6 minutes apart (after stabilization) with Baader D ERF and UVIR filter. You can see the image is not uniform at 6 minutes and continues to worsen the longer the duration
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 5.31.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 5.31.09 PM.png (242.77 KiB) Viewed 3633 times

The second set of images are taken without the D ERF but UVIR and there is a major difference. Im not sure why the DERF makes such a dramatic difference on a 4" refractor?
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 5.32.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 5.32.14 PM.png (243.58 KiB) Viewed 3633 times

My prior filter was very uniform and stable. I used it for 40-60 m animations without variation. I am sending it back for the third time in 1 year. I am including the same set up with my front mounted Lunt 100 etalon (nearly impossible to tune on this long refractor)

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 4.24.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 4.24.00 PM.png (193.75 KiB) Viewed 3643 times

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hi Alan,

Looks to me like you have two issues:

1. A DERF keeps the filter cooler from the start. Your first image is closest to on band where the filter was nearer to ambient temp. As the filter heats up more, it is shifted further into the red wing and goes off band. The second set of images without the DERF gives the etalon more heat from the beginning (no IR blocking), and it starts shifted off band in the red wing and shifts further to the red as it continues to increase in temperature.

2. The filter has significant contrast non-uniformity, and to me would not come anywhere near what a PE graded filter should - which would have almost non-detectable contrast variation. It should require no flat to give very good contrast uniformity - just like the front LS100 etalon doesn't require a flat. The "PE" etalon you have actually looks like your garden variety Quark filter in this regard.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

My old unit didn’t exhibit the red wing shift with long surface animations (same scope no DERF). This etalon has a lower temperature setting (125F vs 153F). Any thoughts on why this unit appears to be more sensitive to external heating? I hope they test it while observing the sun.

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

Hi Alan!
Hmm - back to Daystar.
You need to get a test rapport for free, its a PE filter.
My filters works at 108F and 110F. Your filter is indeed a very hot one.
Looks like your Quantum house can't hold the temperature and what you see can be a bad etalon or that the filter has uneven temperatures across the stack. I have seen a very low contrast 0.4SE filter and it was not at all a 0.4SE filter. My 0.6SE was/is way way better.
The other problem can be a low transmission etalon. You will get fine numbers in the lab, but it will not qualify under the Sun.
Visually your filter should blow you out in the water. An active filament would be nearly black and the penumbra hard to see.
Good luck!

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Ljungmann wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:53 pm Hi Alan!
Hmm - back to Daystar.
You need to get a test rapport for free, its a PE filter.
My filters works at 108F and 110F. Your filter is indeed a very hot one.
Looks like your Quantum house can't hold the temperature and what you see can be a bad etalon or that the filter has uneven temperatures across the stack. I have seen a very low contrast 0.4SE filter and it was not at all a 0.4SE filter. My 0.6SE was/is way way better.
The other problem can be a low transmission etalon. You will get fine numbers in the lab, but it will not qualify under the Sun.
Visually your filter should blow you out in the water. An active filament would be nearly black and the penumbra hard to see.
Good luck!
So spending loads of Dollars with DayStar is a matter of Luck ...

pensador_icon.JPG
pensador_icon.JPG (11 KiB) Viewed 3587 times

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

I’ll post a follow up when I get their report.

christian viladrich

Post by christian viladrich »

I would agree with Bob. Your PE is not up to the spec.

BTW, it takes some time for the etalon to reach balance temperature. My PE 0.6 has a reference temperature of 58.3°C (137 F). It takes 15 min to go from 20°C to 55°C, and another 10 min to stabilize to 58°.
Noteworthy, the SolarSpectrum (I have a RG 0.3 A) has an active cooling (which is not the case on the DayStar). So it is faster to cool down (for example when removing the ERF).

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
LeoD
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by LeoD »

I wonder though if Solar Spectrum has no such issues?
Christian, do you have the selected one?
regards
Leo

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by george9 »

I like my Solar Spectrum RG32 0.3A. Very even, very bright. Perhaps a little wide, but I usually double stack it anyway. The temperature regulation works well.

George

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

Leo, I have the small ASO 1 0.3A filter. Its very even and bright in my 8" Triband SCT. Visually, active filaments are pure black streaks and the contrast are amazing. The TEC controller works fine. No issues. I do have a great Quantum 0.6A - its with an old Del Woods etalon.

christian viladrich

LeoD wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:01 pm I wonder though if Solar Spectrum has no such issues?
Christian, do you have the selected one?
regards
Leo
Mine is a standard RG32. Still, RG filters are selected by Solar Spectrum for their uniformity.
Still, in real life you don't really need a 32 mm aperture, so the smaller ASO filters are probably a better choice.

Christian Viladrich
LeoD
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by LeoD »

thank you all for your meaningful feedback, although I didn't expect to change the subject of the thread to Solar Spectrum :)
but it looks more promising vs Quantum
Quality control and real lifetime are essential for me, cause being outside of the US, any factory service means customs and transportation troubles
Leo

christian viladrich

I chanced upon this very detailed measurement of the performance of a DayStar 0.3 A. You have to download the paper to have a look at it.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/FP- ... _290297024

https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... N/download

Christian Viladrich
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

9858C886-FC7B-4A1A-B244-746243795089.jpeg
9858C886-FC7B-4A1A-B244-746243795089.jpeg (83.35 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
They tuned some settings on the quantum. Here is the test result. It will be cloudy for a few days so won’t be able to test

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hope it works well for you!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
christian viladrich

Just wondering whether you could post a larger version of the test report ?

Christian Viladrich
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

Looks great on paper Alan. I hope it will live op to expectations! I love my SS 0.3 filter. Great Views.

christian viladrich

Yes indeed, it looks good on paper :-)

Christian Viladrich
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

I am red green color blind so the FWHM CWL were difficult to interpret. This is the same etalon from my earlier post. I assume this means there was uneven heating or user error (gasp). I hope their "tweaks" fixed the issue.

torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

I was finally able to test. If you recall, the last version drifted off band when it was pointed at the sun. I ran a 30 minute animation to see if there was a drift. This test was at F28 and I used my powermate (I am still waiting for a Baader TZ3).

Set up: 102 F 11, Baader DERF, Baader UVIR, Quantum (F28), basler 155. This is sharpened in ImPPG.

https://astrob.in/full/ypx99b/0/

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

torsinadoc wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pm I was finally able to test. If you recall, the last version drifted off band when it was pointed at the sun. I ran a 30 minute animation to see if there was a drift. This test was at F28 and I used my powermate (I am still waiting for a Baader TZ3).

Set up: 102 F 11, Baader DERF, Baader UVIR, Quantum (F28), basler 155. This is sharpened in ImPPG.

Hi,

I looked at your animation and I see a shift from more detailed to less detailed or viceversa as I do no know where is the start or the end of the test.

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

rsfoto wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:07 pm
torsinadoc wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:46 pm I was finally able to test. If you recall, the last version drifted off band when it was pointed at the sun. I ran a 30 minute animation to see if there was a drift. This test was at F28 and I used my powermate (I am still waiting for a Baader TZ3).

Hi,

I looked at your animation and I see a shift from more detailed to less detailed or viceversa as I do no know where is the start or the end of the test.
Sorry. Here is the version without a loop. I had pretty variable seeing (I had image around noon)

https://www.astrobin.com/full/ypx99b/B/?nc=user

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

That looks very good Alan!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Hi Alan,

Just came back to this thread from another post. Looking at the test report, the numbers indicated seem great. But when you measure the plot of the full aperture FWHM, it seems to tell a little different story.

I copied your link to the DayStar test report. I measured where the FWHM should lie, and the FWHM was then highlighted by a blue bar. This very same blue bar was copied identically to measure along the lower left-hand base of the graph, and you can see approximately 6.6 FWHMs fit end-to-end to reach 5 A. This indicates a full aperture FWHM of ~ 0.75 A, not 0.30 A as specified on the test report:

Alan D Test Report 2.png
Alan D Test Report 2.png (154.79 KiB) Viewed 1947 times

Since you have the original report and therefore access to the highest resolution test report image, you may want to repeat this exercise to see what you come up with. I grant that this methodology is crude, but it does raise some questions about the test report and how the data stated and figures shown are arrived at. And given this plot would or should be the ideal in a fully collimated or perfect telecentric system at f50+, this causes me to have additional concern as to what the filter actually provides "real world" versus "on paper:"

FWHM-N.jpg
FWHM-N.jpg (107.19 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Christian Viladrich

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
christian viladrich

Hi Bob,
As you said this discrepancy within the test report is unfortunatly noted on many other reports. So the question is what is the measuring protocole used by DayStar ?

It looks as if the FWHM claimed at the top of the report comes from FWHM measurements made through small size aperture (3 mm ?), averaged over the full aperture. If this is so, then it would be wrong since the CWL also changes accross the full aperture of the etalon.

On the other side, the FWHM measured over the full aperture of the etalon (transmission graph at the botton of the report) includes variation of the CWL over the full aperture of the etalon, so a much larger (and relevant) FWHM.

In any case, it would be good to know ...

Christian Viladrich
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

Im printing a few adapters and will test it at F52 with my baader TZ3.

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

I'd compare the contrast at f50 with a front mounted 0.7 A air-spaced of known quality and see how they compare...

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

Hi Bob!
In my test rapport from Daystar after the upgrade to a new Quantum house + new blocker and trimmer I did try to look at the data again using your measurement. It is a 0.6A SE filter with a Del Woods etalon. And the result shows a full Aperture FWHM of 0.61A
I am not surpriced because thats what I do see in the real word.