Solar Granulation. Info.

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
nebulabru
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Solar Granulation. Info.

Post by nebulabru »

Hello,
I have always observed the sun in white light with 80mm refractors or currently with an 8 "SCT, always with a full aperture solar filter, I have seen the spots well but never the solar granulation, I would like to know if a Hershel prism is better than the filter in this sense, in your opinion from what diameter can the solar granulation be seen well?
Best regards
Nebu.

robert
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Solar Granulation. Info.

Post by robert »

I think about 6" refractor or 8" SCT would be fine. It is a matter of good seeing and contrast of the equipment. Granulation is quite small and indistinct but in good conditions visible with 80mm too in my experience. Imaging helps with contrast enhancement. Good seeing is the thing to wait for! I have tried Herschel wedge and Baader astrosolar film and both work, hard to say if one is better.

Robert

images and animations http://tinyurl.com/h5bgoso
2024 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0313830045
2023 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0304905278
2022 images https://www.flickr.com/photos/69734017@ ... 0295810277
ED80. ED100. SW200. Celestron-150mm-PST mod. C8 edge. ES127
LS60PT-LS60F-B1200. B600-Cak. PGR-Ch3-IMX265
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Like Robert says really :) are you using Baader solar film? this is much better than a glass filter and is optically clearer. However, the key thing with either a Herschel wedge or using Baader Solar film is to use a Baader Continuum filter to enhance granulation contrast and a UV/IR cut filter as well. This is key!

Alexandra

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I can get granulation quite well if the seeing is good using my 102mm Celestron refractor. I use a Herschel wedge backed by a Baader continuum filter for the best views. I have also recently purchased a UV/IR cut filter as well.

I also got it really well once in a friend's TeleVue 85 refractor. I could see the individual granules at 200x using it and my Baader continuum filter. So yes it is possible in an 80mm scope. Granules are small, no bigger than 2" of arc at best so the better the seeing and bigger the aperture the better. Small scopes however can surprise you if they have good optics and good seeing.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
RKBerta
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by RKBerta »

I have a BAADER Hershel Wedge with the continuum filter and appropriate ND filters and UVIR filters. Sometimes a polarized filter helps also to fine tune the ND. The BAADER already is polarized so when paired with another polarized filter you can adjust the contrast and brightness of the image by rotating the external polarizer to fine tune the image. I use on both TV 85 APO and a Officina Stellare 80mm APO refractors. You can see the granularity. I also have a 6" Officina Stellare APO refractor but haven't yet obtained the ERF needed with that scope. The two smaller refractors are pretty impressive...especially the 80mm OS scope. I also use both with Ha with 60mm external etalon and appropriate BFs.

80mm f6 Officina Stellare APO triplet, 152mm Officina Stellare f8 APO triplet, TV 85mm f7 ED APO, 8" SCT HD, 11" SCT.
Astro Physics 900 and 1100 mounts, Ioptron MINI Tower Pro ALT/AZ mount, ZWO AM5 mount,
Lunt 60mm Ha single stack, Coronado 60mm Ha single stack with BF 30
Day Star Quark Chromosphere
Player One Neptune mono with 178 chip, 256mm DDR, tilt plane for solar imaging
ASI 071 Pro cooled color for DS imaging
ATIK 490 EX OSC for DS imaging
SBIG STL 6303e mono with RGBL and Ha, SII, OIII filters for DS imaging
ASI AIR Plus

JPL/NASA Solar System Ambassador
Michigan Scout observatory manager
nebulabru
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!