Hello and advice on Ha and Ca-k modules

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Fabio_Imm
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Hello and advice on Ha and Ca-k modules

Post by Fabio_Imm »

Hello,
After purchasing a 2nd hand DayStar Solar Scout SS60-ds I got bitten by the bug of solar narrowband imaging ^_^

The Solar Scout etalon unit is satisfactory, however I find the 60mm scope to be quite "cheap" and too fast f/ratio: obtained better contrast reducing the aperture at the expense of luminosity and exposure time.
I am a tinkerer by nature and having free access to a workshop and metal lathe, I am in the process of transplanting the Solar Scout quark unit to a 2in adapter to be used in my Celestron C80 ED f7.5 (I did my homework and already sourced a used 2in Baader Ha 35nm filter to serve as an internal ERF).

Now for the main question:
I would like to move forward to Ca-k, first experimenting with my Celestron C80 ED, than maybe moving to a dedicated scope for the task: I am using a EQ-6 that is way overkill for the Solar Scout, but it should be adequate for a long tube refractor such as Skywatcher Black Diamond 102/1000 (dirt cheap) or a Tecnosky 102/1100MM (expensive but more refined construction). Of course feel free to suggest better alternatives that are reasonably priced.
The local seeing in my town in northern Italy is somewhat limiting, and I doubt that I will fully exploit apertures bigger than 120mm.

My interest is purely for imaging either in Ha or Ca-h/k using monochrome cameras.
It is my understanding that the two options are a Daystar Ca-h quark or a LUNT Ca-k straight module.
:seesaw
I like the simplicity of the Daystar Ha quark, but reading the horror stories of poor quality control, I am not inclined toward trying my luck twice on a Ca-h quark.
The LUNT Ca-k straight module with 18mm blocking filter seems to be the winner: no power needed, much more consistent QC and price comparable to a new Ca-h quark.

Considering my current and future setup, are there any precautions to adopt? e.g. additional internal ERF to prolong the life of the LUNT blocking filter?

Again, since I am moving the first steps in this new field, comments, suggestions and corrections are welcome.

Cheers

Fabio

Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Hello and advice on Ha and Ca-k modules

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Fabio,

A warm welcome to Solarchat.

I use a Lunt B1800 CaK straight through module and find it to be easy and reliable and produces good images, although I augment the device with a Baader Ca K-line filter and Omega CaK filter for a narrower bandwidth.

I hope this helps.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Welcome to the forum Fabio.

Look forward to seeing how you get on with the 80/ss mod. The 80mm scope has excellent optical performance stopped down to 60mm (removes some inherent spherical aberration). Either of the scopes you suggest for CaK will work just fine, but I would lean towards the tecnosky on the grounds of better construction.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

A very warm and sunny welcome Fabio :hamster: I too use the Lunt CaK and love it :)

Alexandra

Fabio_Imm
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Fabio_Imm »

Thank you all for the hearty welcome and the positive feedback.
Then, it's decided: Lunt Ca-k.
I'll keep you updated on the "transplant operation" of the quark

Fabio