Bubbles

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Bubbles

Post by krakatoa1883 »

After only one year of use my Lunt B1200 BF developed bubbles and other defects in the cement between the elements, they are visibile as superimposed on the solar images and are very annoying. I am very disappointed because I always treated the filter with great care and my other B600 which is four years old is instead still perfect.

In my microscopy arsenal I have both solvents and optical cements, so I wonder if I can detach the glasses and replace the cement by myself, but I would not like risking to damage the coating. Has anyone already tried this kind of surgery on a BF ? Thanks.
Attachments
BFc1.jpg
BFc1.jpg (62.78 KiB) Viewed 1154 times
BFc.jpg
BFc.jpg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 1154 times

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Bubbles

Post by rsfoto »

krakatoa1883 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:43 pm After only one year of use my Lunt B1200 BF developed bubbles and other defects in the cement between the elements, they are visible as superimposed on the solar images and are very annoying. I am very disappointed because I always treated the filter with great care and my other B600 which is four years old is instead still perfect.

In my microscopy arsenal I have both solvents and optical cements, so I wonder if I can detach the glasses and replace the cement by myself, but I would not like risking to damage the coating. Has anyone already tried this kind of surgery on a BF ? Thanks.
Hi,

I would contact Lunt and show them what happened in order they can replace it ...

You have a 5 year warranty according to what I just read on their website.

https://luntsolarsystems.com/warranty/

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Are you based in Europe? Presuming Italy? As Rainer says, I’m sure if you contact Lunt Europe (via Bresser in Germany) they will either fix it or provide a replacement.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Thanks for your answers, I just wanted to explore a different solution than sending the item to Bresser, however I thinks that this is still the best thing to do.

Raf
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

Really excellent website you have - together with some great telescopes. I shall add it to my ever growing list of online solar resources. And good luck with the blocking filter.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Looks like rust to me!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Hi Mark, it's not rust they are bubbles in the glue between the elements, the external surfaces are perfect.

Raf
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

krakatoa1883 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:00 pm Hi Mark, it's not rust they are bubbles in the glue between the elements, the external surfaces are perfect.
Gotcha. I can't think of any fix you can do other than a return and replace from point of purchase.

These things shouldn't happen though...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!