Camera choice

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rthorntn
The Sun?
The Sun?

Camera choice

Post by rthorntn »

G'day from Sydney!

I'm new to Solar imaging so please be gentle.

I have no real budget but I already have a few cameras lying around:
  • Canon EOS RP (this is probably bad because of wasting colour pixels [bayer] but it does have a lot of pixels)
  • Point Grey Blackfly, Mono ICX692, GigE
  • Point Grey Chameleon, Mono ICX445, USB2
I read that best results on the LS60 are with ~3µm pixels.

Obviously mono is ideal but do the PTGreys only being ~1MP put them at a disadvantage to the 20MP Canon, sorry if this is a stupid question?

I see from the forum that people are using the Chameleon, the Blackfly could be interesting if the GigE works it could be faster than USB2?

Would I use SharpCap?

If I'm using one of the PTGrey cams would I just need a T2-CS adapter, or would I need anything else, like a barlow or extension tubes?

Thanks.
Richard

Lunt LS60THa/B1200 (tilt tuner version), Skywatcher EQ6
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Camera choice

Post by marktownley »

Hi there and welcome to the forum Richard!

Either of those point greys are a great starting point, I wouldn't recommend the Canon. You can use sharpcap or firecapture, I personally prefer the latter. You will need a c-1.25" adapter.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
rthorntn
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by rthorntn »

marktownley wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:51 am You will need a c-1.25" adapter.
Thanks Mark, much appreciated, just wanted to confirm that I can achieve prime focus with a c-1.25, I do see people chatting about needing to attach cameras directly to the T2 threads on the LS60 to get prime focus but that might just be for SLR's...

Lunt LS60THa/B1200 (tilt tuner version), Skywatcher EQ6
krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

Chameleon is a great camera for solar although the sensor is small. The USB 2.0 version seems now discontinued but it may still be found.

With my Lunt 50 I need to attach the camera to the T2 thread by means of a short C-T2 adapter to reach focus, don't know if needed with LS60 too.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment