Binocular filters

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
willisobservatory
The Sun?
The Sun?

Binocular filters

Post by willisobservatory »

I have a Lunt 152 but also an APM 100MM SD APO 45° (FCD100) DOUBLET BINOCULAR AND UF24MM EYEPIECES. I bought some solar filters. I know the view in the binoculars is only going to be so good, especially compared to the Lunt, but I'm seeking advice on improving the binocular view. Are there 1.25 inch filters you would recommend that I could put on the eyepieces?

Thanks

https://www.willisobservatory.com/

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Binocular filters

Post by marktownley »

The Baader Continuum filter is what you want for best detail.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

I also have two pairs of large binoculars + one newly acquired pair of OPTICRON IMAGE-STABILISED BINO's.

The large bins are filtered with "Baader AstroSolar Safety Film" and I've yet to make a filter for the I.S ones, which are absolutely fabulous for sky-gazing without any need for a tripod... I also have and regularly use a Solar-filtered Spotting-Scope...

If making-up your own filters for any purpose including Binos, then there is advice on the internet as well as available from SolarChat, as certain safety requirements are required for self-manufacturing/fitting and usage - so please ask if need be...

One example web-link being :- https://astrosolar.com/en/information/h ... inoculars/

Great care needs be taken to ensure safety at all times during manufacture/usage/storage...

Best wishes
Terry

DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

I have never tried making a filter from Baader AstroSolar film for binos but I did order a set of film filters from DayStar a while back for my Orion UltraView 10x50 binoculars. I also have a pair of 8x32 Lunt SUNoculars. They have glass filters over their objectives. We need a bit more activity on the Sun to make binocular observing more rewarding.

I also have a pair of Barska 20x80 binos as well but no filters for them yet.

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
DeepSolar64

Post by DeepSolar64 »

willisobservatory wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:31 pm I have a Lunt 152 but also an APM 100MM SD APO 45° (FCD100) DOUBLET BINOCULAR AND UF24MM EYEPIECES. I bought some solar filters. I know the view in the binoculars is only going to be so good, especially compared to the Lunt, but I'm seeking advice on improving the binocular view. Are there 1.25 inch filters you would recommend that I could put on the eyepieces?

Thanks

https://www.willisobservatory.com/
Do you mean a binoviewer or binoculars? Of course a set of binoculars would require a filter over the objectives first. If you have a set of high-end binoculars with removeable eyepieces then the Baader Continuum filter would be a plus. Two of them of course!

Lunt 8x32 SUNoculars
Orion 70mm Solar Telescope
Celestron AstroMaster Alt/Az Mount
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60 DS
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 90 DS
Meade Coronado AZS Alt/Az Mount
Astro-Tech AT72EDII with Altair solar wedge
Celestron NexStar 102GT with Altair solar wedge
Losmandy AZ8 Alt/Az Mount
Sky-Watcher AZGTI Alt-Az GoTo mount
Cameras: ZWO ASI178MM, PGR Grasshopper, PGR Flea
Lunt, Coronado, TeleVue, Orion and Meade eyepieces

Image Visual Observer
" Way more fun to see it! "
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

An alternative could of course be a pair of LUNT 31.7mm Hershel-wedge's (one for each E.P., but possibly giving an awkward-angle to use with your bino's) and should not be used with above 100mm objectives...

In fact today, I have just completed the mew self-build WL filters for my new Opitcron Image-Stabilised Binoculars - and an image of such will be posted shortly - here...

Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:51 pm An alternative could of course be a pair of LUNT 31.7mm Hershel-wedge's (one for each E.P., but possibly giving an awkward-angle to use with your bino's) and should not be used with above 100mm objectives...
This would be a first on me - not sure how the insides of the binoculars would fare? - prisms and fixings i'm thinking with 100mm of fast focal length unfiltered sunlight coming through? Not sure i'd want to try it without getting categorical fact from APM you could do this.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Mike. I understand that for the LUNT 31.7mm Hershel-Wedge a maximum of a 100mm objective is a requirement, but true that not mentioned about Binos, so you could well be correct.
So I have to agree with your comment to safeguard the Binos with further advise from a manufacturer...

Terry