Anyone looking for the very best solar zoom EP?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Anyone looking for the very best solar zoom EP?

Post by Highbury Mark »

Unfortunately astronomy kit prices are rising fast in many countries, largely because of COVID, but the UK’s departure from the European Union doesn’t help either. But there’s one item I’ve just seen at a London camera shop that really does scream BARGAIN.
It’s the Pentax XF zoom, 6.5mm-19.5mm. The finest solar zoom on the market in my view - and that includes beating the venerable Leica ASPH. This is an exquisite performer in Ha and WL. Light and small. Great range of powers. Brutally sharp and bright views. Don’t just take my word for it - Mark T is also a fan.
I bought mine in 2014 for £295. Current on sale at Microglobe for £149. It’s a total steal at that price.
Only one negative - it was designed for spotting scopes, so is a poor nighttime performer.

Solarscope SF70DS + TV85
TSA-120, Baader wedge
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Anyone looking for the very best solar zoom EP?

Post by marktownley »

It is good! I think Alexandra has got one. That really is a nice price!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
SimonM
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by SimonM »

Highbury Mark wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:59 pm I bought mine in 2014 for £295. Current on sale at Microglobe for £149. It’s a total steal at that price.
Only one negative - it was designed for spotting scopes, so is a poor nighttime performer.
That is a very good price! You can pay more and £295 is currently an option too! You can tell that it is made for the spotting market - it even has the 60x 40x 20x which are aligned to the Pentax spotting scopes. I have just ordered the Lunt 1.25-Inch Zoom Eyepiece 7.2mm - 21.5mm - at the same time as buying a solar scope.

Simon

David Fox
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by David Fox »

yeah recently acquired that Lunt zoom after having only used their 19mm for a while - free at last. But that's a good price on the Pentax.

Lunt 60tha
Lunt 50tha with DS
Lunt HW 2' on Skywatcher 120ed esprit / Skywatcher 72ed
Coronado SolarMax 3 70mm SS
TI Dome / EQ8r / solar quest / Atik & Zwo