Solar scout 60mm package first light rant

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
David Fox
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Solar scout 60mm package first light rant

Post by David Fox »

Hi

Has anyone here bought the solar scout 60mm dds package and what were your initial views particularly if you've used/use another ha scope.

As a Lunt user I considered buying a Quark (sometimes pressure tuning/image moving can be a pain) but in the end went for their small albeit 60mm package but still a considerable purchase of £950. I sat back waiting for the magic green light

I used it straight from the box, and despite excellent seeing I got a washed out sun, at whatever dial turn I used, all day.
The 'magic' green light did nothing and getting focus with the helio was just horrible. I did not use the power pack, straight mains and got rid of the supplied eyepiece.

I also set up the 50ta, with its own helio focuser, and got excellent clear full feature disc detail, all day, so not my local 'seeing conditions'.

I want to give the scout a chance though so I'd be interested in any views/comments - its supposed to be a Quark. Any suggestions for a better second round.

thanks,

Lunt 60tha
Lunt 50tha with DS
Lunt HW 2' on Skywatcher 120ed esprit / Skywatcher 72ed
Coronado SolarMax 3 70mm SS
TI Dome / EQ8r / solar quest / Atik & Zwo
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Solar scout 60mm package first light rant

Post by marktownley »

Send it straight back and get a refund, you've got a junk scope.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

For the current very low UK purchase-price as advertised for that S-scope, I personally could never expect a Solar-scope to be able to give impressive views compared to those of competing manufacture and design at even twice the price..

So I have to agree with Mark T.'s comment above and would strongly recommend saving-up for something better or even much better, as are used by many of us SolarChatters.

Looking back through the numerous archive posts here on SolarChat - will assist you in deciding which way to go forward...

In most cases, what you pay for is usually what you get in quality and design...

Best Wishes
Terry

Robert Henry 1355
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Robert Henry 1355 »

I would send the scope back and get the Daystar Quark Chromosphere version. I bought the Solar Scout scope you have and not a fan of it. The focuser is inadequate and the deal breaker for me. I sold it. I have been visual solar observer for ~16 years and I LOVE my Quark! You will get the WOW affect using it on your 120mm ED refractor!

David Fox
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by David Fox »

Sorted 👍
I would like to give a shout out to Teleskop Express for their excellent customer service (ok its statutory rights but these guys could not have been nicer and more helpful).

Lunt 60tha
Lunt 50tha with DS
Lunt HW 2' on Skywatcher 120ed esprit / Skywatcher 72ed
Coronado SolarMax 3 70mm SS
TI Dome / EQ8r / solar quest / Atik & Zwo
mdwmark
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mdwmark »

I don't understand the specs they are giving for this scope?
If the F# is F/15, I don't care which one of there Ha filter you start with. The filter Hw at that F#, will never be narrower than 1.5Ang. The optical laws don't change just because you want them to.
The narrower your starting Hw the faster it broadens out with fasters F#.
So it should work as a prominences scope and that all.
Mark W.