ZWO ASI 178MM

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
rsfoto
Way More Fun to Share It!!

ZWO ASI 178MM

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Can this camera used in Binning mode ?

Thanks

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: ZWO ASI 178MM

Post by PDB »

Yes Rainer.

2, 3 and 4x times binning.
ZWO also mentions hardware binning for some modes possible, but no idea how that would work on CMOS.

Rgrds,

Paul

edit: of course the "normal" binning happens somewhere in software. It's not like real pixel binning in CCD's.
How the hardware binning claim works I don't know, probably at an earlier stage than the normal binning.

None of my posts or images may be shared on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media other than SolarChat without permission.
rsfoto

Re: ZWO ASI 178MM

Post by rsfoto »

PDB wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:38 pm Yes Rainer.

2, 3 and 4x times binning.
ZWO also mentions hardware binning for some modes possible, but no idea how that would work on CMOS.

Rgrds,

Paul

edit: of course the "normal" binning happens somewhere in software. It's not like real pixel binning in CCD's.
How the hardware binning claim works I don't know, probably at an earlier stage than the normal binning.
Hi Paul,

Thanks. I guess what the later process does is just sum up the value of each pixel. So if at Bin 2x2 there are 4 different values it just sums up all the photon count of each pixel and so you get one pixel with the sum of the 4 e.g. 2x2 bin, I guess ... At the end a CCD does the same when it is read out ...

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°