Which Camera for Lunt 60MT

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
sandconp
The Sun?
The Sun?

Which Camera for Lunt 60MT

Post by sandconp »

I currently have a ZWO 178MC OSC planetary camera. Everybody tells me that I need to get a mono chrome camera for solar imaging.

I have narrowed it down to two cameras the ZWO ASI178MM or the ASI174MM. The ASI174MM is quite a bit more expensive and I am not sure why?

I have a Lunt 60MM HA f/7 Solar scope and looking for recommendations.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Which Camera for Lunt 60MT

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

Hello,
Using https://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/ shows the different Field of View of both the cameras you mention here.

I have the Lunt 60 Ha and Cal-K scopes using the ZWO ASI 178MM mono cameras which give the Full Disk availability without the need for further magnification albeit I can magnify into specific FD regions if required using 2x Barlows/extenders etc.

Whereas with the ASI 174MM - you can see a much wider-field of view and to get closer you will need to use those Barlow type magnifiers...

Colouring of mono-camera imaging of the Sun takes place during the subsequent processing - to ones own desires..

Take a few minutes to try-out that web-link with the various options within it, to see the results which suit you best.

Best Wishes
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Which Camera for Lunt 60MT

Post by marktownley »

Hi there,

The 178 is suited to full disk shots, the 174 to closeup shots.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!