27mm Lunt / Quark Chromosphere

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
StarHugger
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

27mm Lunt / Quark Chromosphere

Post by StarHugger »

Curious if anyone has tried the 27mm 53° Lunt eyepiece with the Quark Cromosphere, Being optimized with anti reflection coating to help control h alpha qlow while adding contrast and its focal length / fov I was thinking it might be good with a Quark.

I'm using Gso plossls currently...

Thanks, Aaron.

Aaron.
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: 27mm Lunt / Quark Chromosphere

Post by Highbury Mark »

I haven’t tried that particular eyepiece to be fair, but I’m not convinced that any Lunt or Coronado solar eyepiece offers an advantage over simple Plossls or orthoscopics. GSO Plossls are pretty good. But for an extra £25 (UK prices), you could get the best - a 25mm Televue Plossl, which is a superb solar EP. Or for the same price as the Lunt 27mm, a Fujiyama 25mm ortho. A little narrower, but like the TV, very sharp and bright

TeleVue 85 + Solarscope SF70DS
Tak FC-100DC, Quark Chromosphere, Baader wedge
Zeiss binoviewer, Zeiss OPMI/TV plossl eyepieces
StarHugger
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by StarHugger »

Thanks Mark,

I'm using the Gso 40, 32, 25 plossls and a Gso Superview 20mm 68° that 20 SV is an astonishing collection of glass in itself when the seeing allows for this particular application.

The 40mm I only use when bad seeing has me backing off magnification and use it rarely as the fov is cut off a bit.

The 32mm Gso is a very nice eyepiece in the Quark.

My issue is with my Gso 25mm and Meade 26mm that I tried (straight sided old version) is they visibly lack the contrast of the 40, 32, 20.

It would be nice to stumble across or be directed twoard a similar fluke as the 20 Superview for the eyepiece in question something a little bit wider even a degree or two would be great.

The Fujiyama Ortho and Televue Plossl 25's do sound like a viable way forward though and thanks Mark again for the advice this forum is awesome.

Aaron.
Highbury Mark
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Highbury Mark »

In fact I read somewhere that the Coronado Cemaxes are just rebadged GSO Plossls, perhaps with slightly different coating (and slightly different prices.......).
Good tip on the 20mm Superview. It’s really worth experimenting with eyepieces for solar as you never quite know how well they’ll perform until you try them.

TeleVue 85 + Solarscope SF70DS
Tak FC-100DC, Quark Chromosphere, Baader wedge
Zeiss binoviewer, Zeiss OPMI/TV plossl eyepieces