IS MY PRESSER TUNER OK

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
p1taylor
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

IS MY PRESSER TUNER OK

Post by p1taylor »

Hi All, I have a Lunt 60mm when I try to tune the presser tuner going in or out very slowly all I get is a round clear disc, can the scope be to cold at 6C do I need to heat the presser tuner and the blocking filter with dew heater strips.

peter

rcx400 10", zs 80 ed, lodestar, sxh9c, loads of bits
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: IS MY PRESSER TUNER OK

Post by EGRAY_OBSERVATORY »

No Peter - the scope's temperature is not an issue, so no need for heater-straps etc.
(in fact heaters are more likely to cause problems in the UK at least).

As suggested previously adjust the acquisition times down on your image-download program until you see surface detail..

But first as advised to you, use an eyepiece into the BlockingFilter first and when focused on the Sun's disk edge/limb, then use the pressure-tuner to see whether you can see surface-detail-granulation(porridge) or the prominences around the disk.

NEVER USE AN EYE-PIECE OR CAMERA INTO THE SCOPES DRAW-TUBE, ONLY THROUGH THE BLOCKING-FILTER...

To see what is available to see on the Sun at the same time as you want to use the Ha scope, go to the SDO website - as previously advised.
The Sun is fairly quiet today, so other than prominences, not too much to easily see...

Terry

p1taylor
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by p1taylor »

Hi Terry, I have don all you have suggested, have don both eye and adjust image in sharp capture, reason I was suggesting a dew heater, sum suggest blocking filter kneads to be over 10C.

peter

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

In very cold climates such as Canada where temps are often -10-degsC, that might be the case, but today, the temp even where you are, will not require any external-heating devices for any solar-scope.

For night-time imaging/Deep Sky/Planetary, where long-exposure-times may be required, then it is likely that due-heaters etc., may be required.

If Lunt had found that a heater was required, they would either have supplied one or recommended one to be used, with any technical details such as temperatures to use.

Terry

JochenM

Post by JochenM »

Hi Peter

As Terry already indicated, the temperature shouldn't be an issue here.

So if I understand correctly, you basically get a blank disk (no detail whatsoever) showing up on the screen? If you have a screen capture available to share, that might help.

I'm going to assume that focus, exposure etc is all fine. Have you tried "bleeding" the pressure tuner? Basically unscrew it up until the point where it's almost coming off the threads (but not completely!). You might hear the pressure equalizing as air escapes. After, slowly start screwing back in and see if you can get on band.

p1taylor
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by p1taylor »

Yes JochenM i have tried that a few times but got no were, sorry don't have a capture.

peter

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Jochen for your input, which of course makes sense. I don't myself have a pressure-tuner, but know what it does.

I am also talking directly with Peter by Email, to try and get this and previous issues sorted, so am hopefully being able to talk Peter through on a telephone, as other than the PT we have identical-systems available.

I'm sure that an over-exposure issue is present with the controls of SharpCap...

Regards
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Can you see proms Peter?

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Peter,

I have a pressure tuned Lunt 60. As has been said, unscrew the tuning knob until you hear air entering/leaving the chamber, then screw it all the way in and start tuning by unscrewing it slowly. You should see surface details coming into view. If the image is too bright, reduce the exposure.

I use mine in all weather conditions when the sun is out, hot or cold, without issue.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
p1taylor
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by p1taylor »

no I carnet see any thing at all Mark.

GUS

Post by GUS »

Try heating the blocking filter.It should help. Lunt recognises this issue that's why they made a dedicated heater for the BF. There have been numerous posts on CN and this forum regarding this issue.

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks GUS but that is not known to be the problem and as we know from our temperatures in the U.K., where Peter lives, is not an ideal solution as temperatures here are very suitable for this type of Ha equipment.

Until other simpler and more likely exposures-settings - are confirmed to be the cause or otherwise.

After that time - (which will be monitored and advised over the telephone using an identical-system from my observatory at the same time), an assessment of the BF and any other problem will be advised to Peter, as necessary.

I understand from Peter - that his Son is possibly going to be there to assist too, so that may well help...

Cheers
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

My money is either an O-ring has failed, or the allen stud under the cap at the end of the pressure tuner handle has worked loose causing a leak.

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Mark for that useful suggestion, which could be an answer, but will await the outcome when Peter does the initial-tuning with an EP, to assess that possible situation.

He only acquired the scope late last year, so ideally it should be as good as new, but of course (continually) unscrewing the PT might have allowed for your suggestion. I will certainly bear that in mind during the first-phase of testing with an EP...

Personally, as my own non-PT Lunt-60 Ha scope of ten-years old, works perfectly well, adding a PT just makes for something else to go wrong - in my view and from what I have read previously. You and I have discussed that scenario before with both your Canal Boat and my experiences with my car and aeroplanes too...

Hope you get to take your well-earned break on your 'boat' again soon and the weather is good too - Mark...

Regards
Terry

GUS

Post by GUS »

Terry, I lose detail in both my lunt BF's below 10 degrees celcius, a dew heater brings them back on band. I see no detail on the disc or proms before heating it, but plenty once warmed up. It could be an O ring issue, it could also be a BF issue. I also borrowed another BF from the local astro store where I purchased the scope from and it had the same issue below about 10 deg C. Using a Coronado BF filter with the Lunt scopes I don't have that issue, they work down to at least -5 deg C ( the lowest temps I get in my area) without any issue. Might not be the problem, but putting it out there that this is a known issue below 10 deg C.

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Equalising the pressure has to be the starting point if this hasn’t already been done. As our ambient air pressure changes with passing weather systems the chamber pressure must be reset if it goes outside the range that can be adjusted and compensated for on the threads. Who knows what the pressure was when the module was originally assembled? Once this has been done, you’ll know you’re in the right place to start investigating whether it is a tuning issue, or not.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Is the scope stored outside in an obs Peter?

p1taylor
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by p1taylor »

No it is in the house, just put a new set of O-rings in now it holds pressure OK for days old rings it was minutes, screw on end of piston is not loose I filled hole with grease.

peter

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thanks Gus for your input, which still could be useful, but in Peters' location in the U.K., is unlikely to be suffering from such temps below 10-degsC when he is observing/imaging and in any case, although recent temps have been below that level, the Sun on the instrument would almost certainly
keep the instrument above that level (even well above that level)..

Lunt themselves confirm that temp at a or below freezing, is where the need for a heater is likely or even mandatory, so knowing of the quality and history of Lunt, I would more likely believe them, but who knows at present, it could be another issue and even the BF itself, but other methods of testing need be undertaken first before coming to a conclusion and recommendations...

I do listen to you Gus, but Peter and I - need time and the Sun to perform the correct setting-up procedure, rather than guessing...

Thank you again
Terry

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

In cold weather the o-rings shrink and become stiff therefore the PT system becomes less efficient, the BF also doesn't work properly. I always see this happening on my Lunt scope which performs best in mild and warm weather.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
EGRAY_OBSERVATORY

Thank you Stu for your correct comments and as a pilot I have the need to well-know about air-pressure..

I will not be responding to further posts here on this issue, as too time-consuming at present and knowing that an easy-way of diagnosing the problem and rectifying it for Peter's benefit - is the simplest way forward, which Peter and I have already agreed...

Finally thank you Raf for your feedback, with my only reply being, what does cold/mild/warm weather really mean ??

Regards to all
Terry

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Glad it's sorted Peter!

krakatoa1883
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by krakatoa1883 »

EGRAY_OBSERVATORY wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:45 amwhat does cold/mild/warm weather really mean ??
In my location at 45°N and 120m a.s.l. "cold" means 5°C or lower, I actually avoid using the scope when air is close to 0°C, I prefer to use a Quark wrapped in a dew heater instead.

Raf
My solar images and reports with articles on solar equipment
p1taylor
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by p1taylor »

I sorted the pressure tuner/o-rings before making my first post, I was just confirming that this was not the issue.

peter