Tips on buying a 150mm telescope for solar photography

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
shadowchaser
The Sun?
The Sun?

Tips on buying a 150mm telescope for solar photography

Post by shadowchaser »

Hello everyone!

I want to buy a 150 mm aperture solar telescope, to photograph prominences and active regions in more detail. As I live in Argentina, with the restrictions that my country imposes on imports, I cannot fail in the choice of equipment, since it would be impossible to return or exchange it and there is not much market to sell it used. That is why I turn to the experience of all of you so that you can advise me. The first telescope I thought of was a Lunt 152 f6, initially single stack and later buying a second etalon to have a double stack. The other option is a TS Optics 150 f8 apo doublet and use it with a 0.6 Angstrom SE Quantum filter.
Will I have a much higher image quality with the Quantum filter compared to the Lunt? The image of Quantum filters is more homogeneous than that of Quark filters?
What other things should I keep in mind?
My current equipment is a Coronado Solarmax II 90mm telescope (I use it mainly for full disk imaging) and a Sky Watcher Esprit 120 with a Quark Chromosphere filter for details.
Thanks a lot!

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Tips on buying a 150mm telescope for solar photography

Post by marktownley »

Hi there!

If you already have a good quark, assuming you're happy with it I would get a 150/8 doublet.

Who knows whether the Quantum will be better than the Quark - you would think so, but knowing what Daystar is like I wouldn't assume anything.

Mark

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Mmm I was going to say if you have difficulty with returns, then I would avoid Daystar, but then if you are happy with your Quark then stick with it, don't tempt fate.

Alexandra

christian viladrich
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by christian viladrich »

I would do as said by Mark and Alexandra. If you are happy with the Quark, go for the 150 mm f/8 and possibly a Baader ERF.

Christian Viladrich
Co-author of "Planetary Astronomy"
http://planetary-astronomy.com/
Editor of "Solar Astronomy"
http://www.astronomiesolaire.com/
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

I would read the following thread. Just because you pay A LOT for a solar product does not mean it will be trouble free. If you are happy with your quark, I would stay with it.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29454

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

As advised I will use the Quark too. Be familiar with that combo. To be fair I have seen Quarks from very bad to excellent... If your Quark is good - keep it. I do have a Quantum SE 0.6 A filter. And I even have a test sheet. It is better than any Quarks I have tested. To be honest my concerns regarding Quantum filters are from this forum and some filters I have seen. Sometimes I had really been thinking about upgrading service to get a more narrowband filter. But to have an etalon from founder Del Woods - well I know for sure I will keep it.
It is the reason I have a SolarSpectrum 0.3 A filter now. 2 great filters. I will always recommend Marks filters.

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hola,

Te mandé un correo privado. Saludos

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
DavidP
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by DavidP »

I would second the recommendation of SolarSpectrum filters. I love mine and have never read of a complaint

shadowchaser
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by shadowchaser »

christian viladrich wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:56 am I would do as said by Mark and Alexandra. If you are happy with the Quark, go for the 150 mm f/8 and possibly a Baader ERF.
Thanks Christian for your answer!!
It seems like a good option to go for a doublet and use my Quark.
One more question... What is the difference in image quality between a Lunt 152 f/6 and using a doublet with my Quark filter? Or rather how good are the etalons used by the Lunt 152? I am attracted to the versatility of the Lunt, since I could also use it to make full disk images and with a barlow to obtain details.

Thank you!!

rsfoto

Post by rsfoto »

Hi,

Does the 152 mm Lunt telescope come with a test sheet ?

regards Rainer

Observatorio Real de 14
San Luis Potosi Mexico

North 22° West 101°
torsinadoc
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by torsinadoc »

rsfoto wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:39 pm Hi,

Does the 152 mm Lunt telescope come with a test sheet ?
I have owned three Lunts (2 80 DS and 100 DS) and none came with test sheet

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

If you have a more than okay Quark - the single stack Lunt will not show more details - but you can image the full disk. Side by side my 0.6 A Quantum and a Bresser 127mm f9 doblet was a little bit better on surface details and stunningly better on prominences... A very good Quark at the same meeting did outperform all filters on surface details. But as you know, Quarks specifications can vary from a PE 0.2A to worser than a 0.7A SE filter.

shadowchaser
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by shadowchaser »

Ljungmann wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 pm If you have a more than okay Quark - the single stack Lunt will not show more details - but you can image the full disk. Side by side my 0.6 A Quantum and a Bresser 127mm f9 doblet was a little bit better on surface details and stunningly better on prominences... A very good Quark at the same meeting did outperform all filters on surface details. But as you know, Quarks specifications can vary from a PE 0.2A to worser than a 0.7A SE filter.

Thank you very much for your answer!
Could you compare your Bresser 127 with Quantum filter side by side with a Lunt 152? I was interested in what you say about the prominences, I thought that the Lunt having a larger aperture could show more detailed and bright images of them.

Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Ljungmann »

It can be tricky to say why a filter performes better. But transmission is one of the more delicate issues in a solid etalon system. Mica can behave in different ways. It is often not neutral in color. Homogeneity and transmission can do a lot in the contrast department. I have seen in a 0.4A SE Quantum filter with very low transmission and I was not impressed. My Del Woods mica 0.6A etalon has a very high transmission (people do say to me that its to bright and you need a neutral filter!) but I like it. It is one of the main reasons I can see a lot of delicate prominences and extremely lots of details too. The other thing is that it has 0 reflections and no ghost image. The background is black as in black. I think it all helps. But you never know what transmission your filter have before you actually look at the Sun for the first time.
It is one of the reasons I do like SS filters. Mark will always work around the transmission profile to get the optimised filter stack. It is easy to see it in my own 0.3A filter. And I think Del Woods did the same in the old Daystar days.

MalVeauX

Post by MalVeauX »

Hi,

First, I would say you need to get an idea of your seeing conditions. Taking a mica-spaced etalon to F30~F40 with a 150mm aperture requires excellent seeing conditions, even with a reducer. To even benefit this aperture's resolution potential you need around 1 arc-second seeing (slightly better than 1 arc-second would be far more ideal). Otherwise, in reality, you're losing resolution to whatever the seeing actually is. Thankfully you can aperture mask a refractor for this purpose if needed, but the focal-length remains so you are pushing very fine image scales often when seeing isn't supporting it.

If your Quark is good enough, stick with it. I would argue any etalon from Lunt will likely be superior to an average Daystar one and it will be a lot more fuss-free (no electronics, not mica-spaced, etc). A pressure tuned Lunt etalon would be a way better gamble of all options out there in my opinion.

Very best,