Solar Spectrum advice, tips, do's and don'ts

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
hopskipson
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Solar Spectrum advice, tips, do's and don'ts

Post by hopskipson »

I'm awaiting delivery of a Solar Spectrum 0.3A research grade 18 mm etalon from Alpine Astronomical. I ordered the TZ-4 and the required adapters for use on my CR-6, F/8 refractor. I will probably be masking this down to 100mm or less as my seeing rarely supports the 6". I have a tri-band D-ERF from Aries. Does anyone suggest a sub-aperture ERF like a Ha or Red-IR filter for more protection? I was also wondering about double stacking with a SM2 90mm etalon. Has anyone tried this? If I use it on my F/7 102mm scope, is the ERF of the SM2 etalon sufficient protection?

I read the "manual" to familiarize myself on its use. The instructions could be more helpful with some pictures. How sensitive or adjustable is the heater/cooler? Are there any tricks or nuances that may need to know? Any advice or help will be much appreciated.

James
These pretzels are making me thirsty! (C.C.)
The Quark introduced me to this wonderful side of the hobby and the sun hasn’t disappointed yet.
Solar Equipment: Solar Spectrum RG-18 0.3A, Coronado Solarmax 90mm etalon Isle of Man SN-001, Tuscon SN-380 and Meade SM2, Lunt LS80 DS, Quark Chromosphere, Lunt 2" wedge, 2-Lunt CaK II 1200, Baader 3.8 and 5.0 solar film in 208mm cells, and 3D printed Sol'Ex SHG, Lunt 40mm
Coming Soon: Solar Spectrum CaK II <1A filter
Ljungmann
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Solar Spectrum advice, tips, do's and don'ts

Post by Ljungmann »

It should be more than okay "just" to use the Aries filter. When you have a first class h-alpha filter with superb finesse, spectral uniformity and bandwidth you should be aware that using a SM2 can introduce some aberration problems. If I look in my SS 0.3A filter I can not think of any devices that can improve the performance except making the focal length even longer - greater than f40. Its on band after a few minutes and stable a few minutes later. You can adjust the temperatures up and down and see the wings. It will take some minutes to get -+.5A.
Not really. If you want some more in deep explanation look at a Quantum manual from Daystar. It works nearly the same way except Mark have this feature to cool the filter if it begins to drift to the red wing.

george9
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Solar Spectrum advice, tips, do's and don'ts

Post by george9 »

I don't find it useful to stop down my 6" f/7 for my RG32 0.3A Solar Spectrum, and I am not in a super seeing location. Either the seeing is there or not, and stopping down doesn't fix it for me.

I use a Baader DERF. I don't use a sub-aperture ERF, and Mark W generally recommends against the duplication as superfluous. Remember it has its own ERF.

I do double stack my Solar Spectrum with a Lunt DSII unit. It eliminates the double limb and adds detail on the disk without losing proms. It just makes the normally wide sweet spot a little smaller. If I want the full >30mm aperture view through my binoviewers, I go SS, but if I am willing to cut down to about 28mm, I do DS.

George