PST vs Denkmeier upgrade vs Solarmax 60

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
nemesis256

PST vs Denkmeier upgrade vs Solarmax 60

Post by nemesis256 »

Has anyone experienced the views with these three combinations? I currently have a PST, and I'm considering an upgrade. I have concerns with both observing and photography.

As far as observing, how different are the views? Is it significant to go from the PST to the Denkmeier, and then as significant to the Solarmax 60?

I've done some photography with my PST and DSLR, and I've attached the best photo I've taken. This was done by stacking five photos (for the surface) manually in Photoshop. As far as attaching my camera to the scope, I use a small attachment with the lens from a barlow as seen on this page. Does my photo look decent considering the method? If I upgraded to the Denkmeier upgrade or Solarmax 60, could I use the same method, and would the resolution have a significant increase? Or would I have to get the DMK41 camera to get much better photos? I should point out that I would like to be able to get photos of the full disc, which may mean getting the BF10 if I were to get a Solarmax 60.

Most of the time I use a photo tripod for my PST. Can I still do the same with the other two options?

Attached files

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: PST vs Denkmeier upgrade vs Solarmax 60

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Patrick

that is a great shot :bow:

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
earl

Post by earl »

I can't speak about the Solarmax60 since I never owned or image through one but I can say the Denkmeier upgrade was worth the expense. They do not upgrade the BF5 filter and unless you tell them you want to keep you original scope barrell they will keep it. I asked for mine back knowing that I was planning to sell it in the future.

I had to use shorter barrell lengths to get imaging focus and use a reducer to get a full disk image but this happens anytime you start getting into the larger scopes.

You can use your stacking method regardless of the scope. If you go with the Denkmeier upgrade you will want to get the collar so the weight will distrubuted evenly on your tripod. If you don't it will be like trying to hold a 6 lb book level by its edge with 2 fingers.

Your picture looks good and will look better when you upgrade.

Gook luck.

astroflyer
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by astroflyer »

I had PST & the upgraded to SM60.
To me the difference was huge.
Much more detail in both surface & proms.
You can increase magnification much more with SM60 & get a great detail.
Also I found the difference between BF5 & BF10 a big improvement.
BF5 to me was pain in the butt, very narrow field of view.
BF10 was much better.
I've never used Denkmeier, but personally I would go for SM60 if you can afford it - it is much better scope IMHO.

Cheers

Arek

LEAN BHUR ASHLIG
colinsk

Post by colinsk »

Astro, that is exactly what you are supposed to notice! I am glad the scope is preforming as designed.