The art of saying nothing

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
hunterknox
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

The art of saying nothing

Post by hunterknox »

Hi All,

This month's Astronomy Now (UK) magazine features a review of the 80mm Daystar SolaREDi scope written by an author who, by his own admission, has never really used a Ha telescope before. As a consequence it offers very little, if anything in the way of useful information for the prospective buyer. Shame really - it would be interesting to know how the latest iteration of the Daystar system stacks up against the usual contenders.

Anyway if you were thinking of buying the magazine to see what the scope's like then I wouldn't bother :( .

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The art of saying nothing

Post by solarchat »

ya, that review was a mystery to me too. Why would a major periodical like AN publish something like that when there are more experienced (and free) sources for it?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

ya, that review was a mystery to me too. Why would a major periodical like AN publish something like that when there are more experienced (and free) sources for it?
I'm not a subscriber.

The author didn't compare it with any other close contenders from any other manufacturers? No Lunt 80mm? No Coronado 90mm?

Just one reason why I no longer bother subscribing to any print magazines.

MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

The reviews in both AN and S@N are never worth the paper they are written on.
A load of drivel...

snorvich

Post by snorvich »

From a new to the hobby person like myself, I find much better information here with the added value that it is interactive. One can ask very specific questions and get very informative specific answers. So thanks to all who participate!!!

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

mission accomplished! This is a very easy hobby to get good at with the slightest of coaching. I strongly encourage everyone sharing what they know, and have, with others attempting to enter it.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
snorvich

Post by snorvich »

Actually, Stephen, your reviews (thanks!) and this board are what moved my interest forward. Now if I could just get Lunt to move a little faster in providing my equipment :S