OK to leave a Lunt 80mm DSII set up in an OBS for weeks at a time in SW, ON, Canada?

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
dynamo

OK to leave a Lunt 80mm DSII set up in an OBS for weeks at a time in SW, ON, Canada?

Post by dynamo »

Hi all, we have a Lunt 80m with the DSII option.
We have a metal shed OBS that's pretty well rain proof except a little creeping in of moisture (about 6" x 24") at one end of the concrete base, which I will take care of with sealer as time/weather permits.

I set the Lunt on top of an iOptron Mini-Tower2 each time I use it then take it down and put it in the storage case.
It doesn't take long but there are times others want to use it and I'd rather they waited for me but I'm not always home.

We're in Southwestern Ontario, Canada and I'm wondering if there's opinions on whether it's OK to leave the setup as is for long durations, just covered when not in use.
I've read some concerns about rust problems with some solar scopes and of course I'd like to take care of the instrument as best as I can.
Thanks for any feedback.

astrodanco

Re: OK to leave a Lunt 80mm DSII set up in an OBS for weeks at a time in SW, ON, Canada?

Post by astrodanco »

I've been doing that with my night time telescopes for decades with no ill effects, but I would never do it with my solar scopes. Back into their cases and back into the house they go, every time without fail.

MapleRidge
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: OK to leave a Lunt 80mm DSII set up in an OBS for weeks at a time in SW, ON, Canada?

Post by MapleRidge »

I have kept my LS80/DSII (all other equipment for that matter) in un-heated observatories with no ill-effects. I usually drap an old cotton shet over them to absorb some of the humidity that may form as the temps swinsg through the day. I've equipment dew up even inside closed cases, so no guarantee there. At least if the equipment is in the open dew/condensation can evaporate off...much slower inside a closed case.

I'm in S. Ontario too...north of TO.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

I also leave all my scopes and cameras inside the dome and roll-off. During Autumn and Winter I have a dehumidifier working around the clock. I used to cover the mounts but I do not do it any more.

best regards

dynamo

Post by dynamo »

:bow:
Thank you for the quick replies!
:thanx:
Any others appreciated.
I think I'll call/e-mail Lunt and get their opinion, but I bet it will be to pack it up and store it indoors.
I'll post back what they say.
Have a great weekend and clear skies!

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

George maybe also use desiccant caps when it's in the obs

dynamo

Post by dynamo »

Thanks Derek and thanks for pointing me to this forum!
George maybe also use desiccant caps when it's in the obs

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

You can leave it setup in an obervatory for as long as you want as long as you remove the blocking filter and store it in a sealed bag with some dessicant. If you leave the blocking filter in the scope, it will be completely rusted over within about 60-90 days depending on your humidity.
I have seen this exact scenario or replied to emails on this very issue at least 100 times.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
dynamo

Post by dynamo »

You can leave it setup in an obervatory for as long as you want as long as you remove the blocking filter and store it in a sealed bag with some dessicant. If you leave the blocking filter in the scope, it will be completely rusted over within about 60-90 days depending on your humidity.
I have seen this exact scenario or replied to emails on this very issue at least 100 times.
Excellent, thanks and much obliged, Solarchat!