First images with Lunt CaK B1200

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
thesmiths
Almost There...
Almost There...

First images with Lunt CaK B1200

Post by thesmiths »

I ordered a Lunt CaK B1200 in extension tube (rather than in a diagonal) and after many months of waiting, it finally arrived. I think the diagonal would have been quicker to get hold of but I wanted the straight through since I understood it required less back focus. In any case, CaK is not really the best wavelength for visual observation so the diagonal configuration is not so useful. Here's what the device looks like:

I changed the 1.25 inch eyepiece holder (T-mount thread) to one sold by Teleskop Service since this was shorter and allowed for a further reduction in back focus. The original is shown on the right:

I then put the very long filter into an 80mm triplet APO which has a Baader Steeltrack focuser. Unfortunatley, this focuser has some baffles that prevents the filter from going very far in. As a result, it was not quite possible to reach focus using a DMK camera (even one with a very short 1.25 inch nose piece adapter):

I then put the filter into another telescope, a 4 inch triplet APO with a Skywatcher focuser. This focuser does not have as many baffles so the filter went further into the focuser. The telescope itself also has a lot of back focus anyway. From this point on, using the CaK filter was really simple. I would say as easy as using a Herschel Wedge but with much more interesting results. Here is the first image taken (using a DMK51):

So I can highly recommend the Lunt CaK B1200. Nice results and very easy to use. The only issue is to examine the kind of focuser your telescope has to ensure it will come to focus. As I understand, Feathertouch focusers are very good for this as they do not have internal baffles that would prevent the filter from being pushed into it.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: First images with Lunt CaK B1200

Post by solarchat »

great unit, I think you mean "in focus" and it's actually shorter in the diagonal than the straight through, just slightly.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
sullij1
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by sullij1 »

You are going to like the view. Congrats! :)

Look Up!
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Douglas

congratulations on the first light, great gear

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
etatsolarchat

Post by etatsolarchat »

Wonder if its possible to convert a diagonal version into a straight one?

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice pic from a nice new toy! :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Excellent picture :hamster:

Alexandra

BelOptik_Oliver

Post by BelOptik_Oliver »

Great first light pic!
This straight CaK version is nice compact built.

Oliver