Question about Lunt Solar Wedge

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Helimanb41

Question about Lunt Solar Wedge

Post by Helimanb41 »

Hello,
I have a question i hope can easily be answered before i purchase a Solar wedge. I have been observing the Sun for many yrs. with a baader solar film filter i made & i already own a Baader 1.25" Continuum filter that ive been using with it and my 1.25" eyepieces. My question is this: Im considering purchasing a Lunt Herschel wedge & i am using an 80mm APO as my Solar scope and what id like to know is, would it be of any visual gain to buy the 2" Lunt verses the smaller 1.25"& then use only my 1.25" eyepieces and my existing 1.25" Continuum filter in the 2" model? Or would I gain nothing with this setup since id be reducing down & just be better off buying the 1.25" wedge and sticking to all 1.25" filters and eyepieces?
Ive not seen this particular question asked before so im stumped.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Question about Lunt Solar Wedge

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Dave

welcome to that wonderful place. I do not think that you are gaining anything visually while buying the 2" version. But I'm sure there will be more detailed answers to your question very soon

have fun

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Helimanb41

Post by Helimanb41 »

It is the best rout financially for me thats for sure sticking to the equipment I now have on hand & my only thought was that perhaps id get a bit more contrast or more surface detail with the larger wedge...............maybe. Id love to hear thoughts on anyone who has actually tried both eyepiece sizes in both wedges in an 80mm size APO. Lunt does state the 1.25" is optimized for scopes in this size so its probably the rout ill take unless I hear otherwise from a member who has done this comparison & sees a noticable difference visually. My mount is an iOptron GPS alt/az so I can't do AP with it anyway. Probably another reason to forget the 2" size. From what ive been reading it seems the refractor size has a lot to do with more detail, the good ol 50X per inch calculation id guess. Thanks for your opinion swisswalter it is app.
Dave

astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

The size of the wedge should not have any affect on the image contrast. I find the 2" wedge to be handy only because it allows me to attach additional 2" filters (such as the colar continuum filter or a polarizer filter) to the 2" to 1.25" adapter rather than directly to the eyepiece. That then allows me to switch eyepieces without having to remove and reattach the additional filters. A larger wedge might have a larger heat sink and be able to dissipate more heat as well - maybe.

Please don't discount the views you get through the Baader film. I think it is every bit as good as a wedge and it keeps the heat out of your OTA altogether. It gets warm in there with a wedge. Either way, a larger scope helps improve the view. You can always stop the large scope down if needed.

Helimanb41

Post by Helimanb41 »

Your reasoning is sound to me,
All my filters are 1.25" so id stay that size ive decided.
Im pretty happy with the results of my 2 DIY Baader filters. They are definatly better then the glass filters I used to use. The Continuum filter used with them gives me results that seem to look awfully close to the photos ive seen taken from owners of wedges. I think unless I stumble upon a really cheap wedge Ill probably just stick to my filters for now & maybe someday get a Ha filter down the rd.
Dave

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Dave I have both and essentially I use the 1.25 on my smaller scopes <80mm.It gives a great view.If you,re happy with your setup I,d try to look through one first.I,d definitely go for a Ha down the line the view really is an astronomical delite which varies all the time.
Derek

PEterW
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by PEterW »

Only issue i can think of is the extra in focus that the 2" unit needs, once heard of problems with another brand of 2"wedge. I held off till a secondhand intes unit came up, which I snapped up and gives great views. It's only time before you end up getting halpha.... Not always much to see in white light!

PeterW

Helimanb41

Post by Helimanb41 »

Well,
I finally decided to purchase a 1.25" Lunt wedge today! Hopefully the temps & humidity will remain reasonable so I can test it out. Im using it on a Celestron Onyx EDF 80. Im going to do a side by side test on the Onyx using the Baader film then the wedge, & testing the Continuum filter also on both setups. Ill give my thoughts afterwards,( I love doing revues on Astronomy stuff). Probably be a week or so weather permitting.
Dave

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Have fun with your new purchase! Don't forget to use an UV/IR cut filter with the continuum too...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
swisswalter

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Dave

congrats on the purchase. Have fun

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
Helimanb41

Post by Helimanb41 »

Thanks guys!
Forgot to mention I also have a really well figured Celestron f/11 80mm. The ca is so low its almost like a good ED, hand picked it from several long ago & decided its a lifetime keeper, its really that well figured glass. Its the scope I did my Venus transit with. Im definatly going to use the wedge on the f/11 should provide higher mags with its slow focal length.
Dave

Attached files