Plain glass filter

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Plain glass filter

Post by Robin »

I have been trying to buy a 1.25 plain glass filter to use as a dust cover for my DMK camera but they are all out of stock in the uk. Is there any other filter I could use which would not effect my imaging, I have a box full to choose from

Lunt LS60THa / B1200 / LS60Fha / DMK51AOU2 / DMK21AOU2 / Revelation 6 & 8" RC / Opticon Minitower 11 & Startracker / Mad Red Setter and understanding Wife
Allcart
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Re: Plain glass filter

Post by Allcart »

I keep an IR/UV filter on mine Robin. I don't know if there is a better choice, but that is all I have.

Allan
brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

I keep an IR/UV filter on mine Robin. I don't know if there is a better choice, but that is all I have.
Should be OK for hydrogen alpha but a UV/IR blocker will kill CaK (not quite opaque but needs a major increase in exposure or gain).

Robin, I have a spare 1.25" plain glass "filter", drop me a PM if you need it.

Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Robin »

Hi Brian
Many thanks, I don't think you can PM on Solarchat, I may be wrong
Robin

Lunt LS60THa / B1200 / LS60Fha / DMK51AOU2 / DMK21AOU2 / Revelation 6 & 8" RC / Opticon Minitower 11 & Startracker / Mad Red Setter and understanding Wife
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

ya, I didnt install a PM mechanism because if its important enough to tell one person on the forum, its probably of interest to everyone..:) You can always email.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

ya, I didnt install a PM mechanism because if its important enough to tell one person on the forum, its probably of interest to everyone..:) You can always email.
Well I don't think publishing snail mail addresses, telephone numbers or email addresses on an open forum is particularly sensible. I have the same username on Cloudy Nights forum which does have a PM service.

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

its only in your profile if you choose to put it there.
every private message I ever received on CN was someone talking trash about someone else or the moderators telling me my image was too large, lol. Ill be happy to put a PM service on here but I just dont see the need for one. When I had the private chat feature on, everyone complained about it so I took it down.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Robin I use Astronomik MC filters. They are multi coated for no reflection. I have them on my dmk51 and dmk 21 i get no nasty reflection, no ir block.... Etc. they are from Germany, but I order mine from OPT only 40 bucks and highly recommended!

Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Robin »

Thanks Rob, I can get them in the uk, do they have a thread to attach additional filters, focal reducers etc?

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Yes they are threaded to accept stacking of filters! They do not cause.....or should I say...Have not.... Introduced and reflections or altered the image from what I can tell. And maybe its just me, but the multicoated glass for reduced reflection seemed to help with Newton Ring when I use my powermates.... An added bonus in my opinion! They are a great buy!

MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

Been meaning to do the same myself, it's easier to clean a filter than the little optical window of a DMK31.

Are luminance filters also UV/IR filters by another name or are they plain glass?
My LRGB filter set are the Baader ones.

Mark

MjrTom

Post by MjrTom »

Scrub that last question...
The luminance is a UV/IR filter which sharply cuts off either end of the spectrum outside of the RGB spectrum.
Would a Baader clear filter meet your needs?

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/rgb-fil ... r-set.html

Pretty cheap as well.

Mark

brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

The luminance is a UV/IR filter which sharply cuts off either end of the spectrum outside of the RGB spectrum.
Yeah, typically the passband is 420 - 680 nm which means good transmission of Ha but very poor transmission of CaK.

In the UK, Modern Astronomy lists Astronomik clear glass filters, £31 for 1.25", £58 for 2". These are good quality multicoated filters which definitely pass all visible light and enough of the UV and IR to make e.g. the Astrodon UVenus and Astronimik Planet Pro 807 useable.

BTW I've posted my spare clear glass "filter" to Robin. Sorry I don't have any more to give away!

Robin
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Robin »

Thanks Brian, all now sorted