Lunt vs Coronado

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
manlebi

Lunt vs Coronado

Post by manlebi »

hello; I am an experienced night observer but sort of a newbe to solar other than an 8" glass white light filter that I adapt to my 14.5" dob and using club member scopes. We do have a club PST that I have used a fair amount. Although the image is good, it is also small. I want to by a good Ha scope for visual use. I am not an imager (at least not yet). I am looking at buying either a Lunt LS60 or a Coronado SolarMax 60mm. If anyone has an opinion of which of these (or others) may be better for visual I would appreciate it. Also..., will I regret it later if I don't spring the cash for a Double Stack now, or is that something that can be added later? any opinions/experiences are greatly appreciated! :)

Regards
Bill Manley
Brevard Astronomical Society
Cocoa Fl.

RobBower

Re: Lunt vs Coronado

Post by RobBower »

While both are fine i telescopes...... Lunt!

I own one and have looked through many. I would buy nothing other than Lunt!
For visual. For imaging.... For quality! Lunt!
Feel free to view my flickr link where all solar images are taken through a Lunt!

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

By the way.... Get the pressure tuner.....b1200 blocking filter and double stack if you can cover the cost. But you can always get the DS later if you prefer!

manlebi

Post by manlebi »

Thanks Rob; appreciate the input. I am leaning that way (Lunt).

RobBower

Post by RobBower »

For me the selling points are the deep dark blackness of space in the background through the Lunt which isnt as dark through the Coronado, and the precision of the pressure tuner of the lunt system! It is really nice being able to tune the disk so well to see or image your intended targets!

And they are built to last! Wonderful quality!

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

did you try one of our other websites in the program www.solarscopereviews.com ?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
RobBower

Post by RobBower »

Yes you really should see Stephens reviews!
It is what helped me make my choices!

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

I've been very happy using the Coronado SM60 external etalons on my ED80, both single and double stacked.
The LUNT 60 has an internal, smaller etalon, like the PST.
I agree with the comments about getting a larger blocking filter - BF10, or better still the BF15.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
wkyee
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by wkyee »

Another consideration: Lunt's service is superb. Coronado, I dunno, but it is owned by Meade, which was just bought out.

Dr. Willie Yee

President, Mid-Hudson Astronomical Association
Commander, Prius-class shuttlecraft Zhang Heng
manlebi

Post by manlebi »

thanks wkyee. yes, that thought also entered my mind as well regarding Coronado/Meade. They appear to be in a "transition". I have a friend who bought a mount from Meade and it didn't go so great. In fairness to Meade they did eventually rectify the situation but one has to question whether he should have had the situation to begin with (?); it was quality related. thanks for the reply.

manlebi

Post by manlebi »

hi Stephen; yes I did. the information on your website is really good, and the input from others has been great. thanks again.

manlebi

Lunt vs Coronado

Post by manlebi »

So just as a follow up to my original chat topic, I bought a gently used Lunt LS60THa off Astromart (pic attached). Thanks to all for your input and guidance! Now I need a mount....Hmmm. :thanx:

Best Regards,
Bill Manley

Attached files

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Bill

congratulations on that pickup

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Suggest you check out the review on Solarmax II and mount used on the "Ice in space" website> Equipment reviews>Telescopes. Picture of a suitable mount.