Lunt herschel wedge or baader herschel wedge

Use this section to discuss "standard" Baader/Coronado/ Lunt SolarView/ Daystar, etc… filters, cameras and scopes. No mods, just questions/ answers and reviews.
aboy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Lunt herschel wedge or baader herschel wedge

Post by aboy »

Hi everyone..

Maybe this question it's commun but, I want to ask witch one it's better to get for photography with my DMK51.

I try the Lunt one time but just for visual.

Thanks for all the answers.

"I'm enough of an artist to draw freely on my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world."

--Albert Einstein, October 26, 1929
------------------------------------------------------------

EQ:

Double stack 60mm Coronado ( pre-meade ) H-alpha filters with a 15 blocking filter.

DMK 51AU02 the imaging source Mono CCD camera.

Orion Short 2x Barlow.

Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 Air-Spaced Triplet ED Apochromatic Refractor Telescope.

Astrotelescope ( Planet Killer ) 102mm f/11 hand corrected doublet. Refractor Telescope.

Losmandy - G11 ( Gemini 1 )

FireCapture, AutoStakkert 2, PixInsight, Registack 6 and Photoshop CS 6.
brianb11213

Re: Lunt herschel wedge or baader herschel wedge

Post by brianb11213 »

Performancewise they're pretty much the same. The packaging is different & the newer version of the Baader wedge has a translucent ceramic heat sink which allows it to act as its own solar finder. Whether this is worth the price difference is up to you.

aboy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by aboy »

I know. The price it's the BIG deal here. But, I want to know if the granulation and detail are similar or what? :woohoo:

"I'm enough of an artist to draw freely on my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited; imagination encircles the world."

EQ:

Double stack 60mm Coronado ( pre-meade ) H-alpha filters with a 15 blocking filter.

Orion Short 2x Barlow.

Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 Air-Spaced Triplet ED Apochromatic Refractor Telescope.

Astrotelescope ( Planet Killer ) 102mm f/11 hand corrected doublet. Refractor Telescope.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

The views will be identical. The baader (photographic version) allows more flexibility from an imaging point of view, wheres the Lunt is a bit cheaper, I think...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
aboy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by aboy »

Thanks... It's a pain no to have one of each one and compare by myself. lol

EQ:

Orion Short 2x Barlow.

astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

The views will be identical. The baader (photographic version) allows more flexibility from an imaging point of view, wheres the Lunt is a bit cheaper, I think...
There's a huge price difference here in the US. The Lunt 1.5-inch is $219, the Lunt 2-inch is $288, the Baader visual is $639 and the Baader photographic is $719. The Baader photographic comes with a lot more stuff, including several ND filters and Continuum filter. Both the Baader photographic and visual are also more flexible with removable filters as well as removable front and back ends with "T" threads.

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Whoooo That's a hellava price difference!!
I'm a very happy Baader Herschel Wedge user, mounted on the TS102 f11.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
aboy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by aboy »

[quote]The views will be identical. The baader (photographic version) allows more flexibility from an imaging point of view, wheres the Lunt is a bit cheaper, I think...
There's a huge price difference here in the US. The Lunt 1.5-inch is $219, the Lunt 2-inch is $288, the Baader visual is $639 and the Baader photographic is $719. The Baader photographic comes with a lot more stuff, including several ND filters and Continuum filter. Both the Baader photographic and visual are also more flexible with removable filters as well as removable front and back ends with "T" threads.

Wow. I knew that the Baader was expensive... But not that HUGE difference in price.

EQ:

Orion Short 2x Barlow.

axle01

Post by axle01 »

Strange those prices I just got one here in Australia for $680 and that's the P version the V version is $620

aboy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by aboy »

Well. At the end if I get the Lunt one u think I'll get good granulation and details? :?

EQ:

Orion Short 2x Barlow.

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

aboy,
If you're using a telescope of 100mm aperture or greater...under good seeing conditions you'll get good viewing of the granulation etc etc with either of these Herschel Wedges....

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
aboy
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by aboy »

Thanks Merlin. I get the telescope what you suggested the Astro-telescope 102mm 1100 f/l

So I think I'll try the Lunt one.. Money issues.. :S

EQ:

Orion Short 2x Barlow.

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Herb

you will be happy with both of them. Take the best offer

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)