My photos and a short story about outreach...

Post anything eclipse related!
Anthony M
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

My photos and a short story about outreach...

Post by Anthony M »

After having our year-old reservations on the Oregon coast canceled due to price gouging, then getting the news that our place near Portland was not able and hearing about the traffic predictions there anyways, we decided to drive from So. Cal to Idaho and I was able to reserve a last minute reservation at a campsite in the Boise NF 1 week before the eclipse. So we left on Friday after my daughters school let out, drove through Half of Nevada and camped out in the sticks. Next day we made it up to Idaho to our site and went trout fishing along the adjacent stream, and met a bunch of the nicest people at the sites around us. I was really the only person there with a solar scope, so everyone came to our camp to see it. I happened to have a bunch of kid’s sized Lunt solar shades and passed them out to the families that didn’t have any (I bought them months before the price gouging started so they were cheap). I quickly showed one of the visitors how to use my solar scope while I was taking photos, so she ended up working with a long line of kids and adults who had never seen the sun through a Ha scope. The eclipse itself was as amazing for us as undoubtedly it was for all of you, but the most significant thing I got out of it was the new friends we made with people from all over the US and the UK.
See you all next time!
Sunspots and the corona using an older Nikon 600mm F4 Manual focus lens, a Nikon D7000 and a white light Baader filter.
Sunspots and the corona using an older Nikon 600mm F4 Manual focus lens, a Nikon D7000 and a white light Baader filter.
DB847F81-4FCB-4906-97E3-0664CD84905C.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 3798 times
Campground outreach- we gave away kid glasses and set up a Lunt 40mm solarscope for public viewing.
Campground outreach- we gave away kid glasses and set up a Lunt 40mm solarscope for public viewing.
E9B8CF58-66C7-4D4D-883A-20FA819B4601.jpeg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 3798 times
A66657B3-A879-4ACF-A3E4-2205CF334862.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 3798 times

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: My photos and a short story about outreach...

Post by marktownley »

Brilliant! Love reading all these eclipse stories!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Me too, I love the stories and great pictures too :hamster:
Alexandra

Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Carbon60 »

Nice story and great images.

Stu

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/