Noise, Firecapture and imaging questions

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Noise, Firecapture and imaging questions

Post by Montana »

Happy New Year! to everyone here! may 2018 be full of clear skies and lots of solar activity to upset the scientists theories :)

Now for some questions I hope some of you wise folks can answer.

Last October I bought a Celestron C11 in the hope of imaging the Moon and Sun in close up. I have noticed that at prime focus I see the same level of resolution as I do from my 140mm refractor. However this could be seeing conditions, but what I don't understand is that through my refractor the image has lots of contrast and the histogram is spread over the whole range. When I use my Grasshopper 3 on the C11 the brightness is the same on the screen but the histogram is all shoved the left. This results in not seeing any contrast to aid focusing. It is OK in post processing as you can stretch out the histogram and normalise it, but this doesn't help using on screen capture or stacking as the image is dark and featureless.

1. Why should the output of the camera be so different between two telescopes? surely it sees only what light comes in. Why is the histogram all the way to left in the C11 and spread out with the refractor? Can the histogram be stretched out manually on screen to see during capture? why only in post processing?

Next, noise. When imaging the Sun or Moon through my refractor I can take 1000 and stack 5% and get virtually a noise free image with the Grasshopper 3. Through the C11 I have to take 3000 and stack 15% to get even remotely a decent image, but it is still full of noise (no gain used in either).

2. Why should noise appear just by changing telescopes? the camera is the same.

So I bought a power cable from Rupert as Mark swears by battery power being clean thus reducing noise so you can use more gain. So I tried this a couple of days ago and I was very disappointed. For a start Firecapture 2.3 kept crashing every 3 minutes so if you didn't get your capture within that 3 minutes you lost the ser file. This does not happen when powered by the computer (just tested it). So I changed to Firecapture 2.5 ( the lastest version) and this stopped the crashing. However I don't like Firecapture 2.5 as it does illogical things. You can set the exposure in 16 bit to be correct:

3. Then if you close the program down and restart then the same exposure level is either far too bright or far too dark? why? the exposure should be the same, so the on screen view should be the same every time?

I noticed this because over half an hour or so the frame rate gradually kept dropping from 26 fps down to 18, so a restart was necessary every 15 minutes or so to get the frame rate back. Again, this never happens under computer power.

I tested the noise reduction of computer power vs Battery power, same mag, no gain, stack of 15%. I can't see any difference?
Noise comparison.jpg
Noise comparison.jpg (117.34 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
Only difference seems to be it crashes Firecapture and frame rate drops off, so powering from a battery is a waste of time. I haven't even tried to add gain but if there is no difference without gain I can't see it helping.

Now for the problem of output and contrast (see question 1). All this seems illogical to me.

Firecapture 2.5 - image brightness looks good on screen (depending on how the program randomly opened) but the histogram shows a big bulge only in the left, if you increase exposure the lump on the left just gets higher not wider to fill the histogram, it doesn't move to the right?

Icon on the screen of the ser file looks great
Icon shot.PNG
Icon shot.PNG (42.23 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
or even playback is perfect
Playback.PNG
Playback.PNG (719.1 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
Open in ASK3 and it looks black and it is difficult to get alignment features
ASK3.PNG
ASK3.PNG (692.2 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
The output is also black
ASK3 output.PNG
ASK3 output.PNG (340.44 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
Place it is Registax and suddenly it is fine
Registax output.PNG
Registax output.PNG (1002.92 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
or in Photoshop it is black but the histogram is skewed all the way to the left
Photoshop levels.PNG
Photoshop levels.PNG (72.11 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
What on earth is going on? I noticed this before when using Firecapture 2.5 when imaging Jupiter and every file is different, some are dark, some are light, it seems to be random even though you don't change the exposure. Firecapture 2.3 does not do this, what you see on screen is what you get and what you see in ASK3. I don't get it! it is very annoying indeed and why I choose not to use Firecapture 2.5 unless I really have to. If Genika would work for all my cameras I would use that, but it doesn't.

4. How do I get Firecapture 2.5 to stop messing up the histogram? how do I get Autostakkert 3 to unstretch the histogram so that it can see all the features to stack on just like the live view?

I don't like it when cameras and software behave in a totally unpredictable manner, if you have some scientific fact of why all these things are taking place, then I can understand them and correct them. Not understanding is something I really don't like. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated :) If I can't sort these out then I have no hope taking granulation on the Sun with this set up, as last time I couldn't see any contrast at all to focus or even image with.

Let's hope 2018 gets better with more predictable software :) knowledge is key.

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Noise, Firecapture and imaging questions

Post by PDB »

Hello Alexandra,

happy 2018 to you too. Lot's of questions to start the year. I don't have all the answers, but might give you some hints ...
Last October I bought a Celestron C11 in the hope of imaging the Moon and Sun in close up. I have noticed that at prime focus I see the same level of resolution as I do from my 140mm refractor. However this could be seeing conditions, but what I don't understand is that through my refractor the image has lots of contrast and the histogram is spread over the whole range. When I use my Grasshopper 3 on the C11 the brightness is the same on the screen but the histogram is all shoved the left. This results in not seeing any contrast to aid focusing. It is OK in post processing as you can stretch out the histogram and normalise it, but this doesn't help using on screen capture or stacking as the image is dark and featureless.

1. Why should the output of the camera be so different between two telescopes? surely it sees only what light comes in. Why is the histogram all the way to left in the C11 and spread out with the refractor? Can the histogram be stretched out manually on screen to see during capture? why only in post processing?
I don't know exactly which refractor you have, but it is probably faster f/ratio than the C11@ f/10. Refractors (good obes) are also known for having more contrast than the SCT where the obstruction in the corrector plate will reduce contrast little bit. I don't know if you have checked collimation on the C11. (Having a C8 myself, I know that needs to be checked and adjusted at "regular times". Some hold collimation fairly well, som others need more adjustment.

So I suppose the difference in contrast causes the difference in historgram. (Also remember the difference in FOV between the 2 scopes has influence on the histogram)

For your focussing: FireCaptore and Genika have features to enhance contrast for viewing only. So you can stretch the image on screen without altering the captured image. (Don't remember from which version in FC this is there)
2. Why should noise appear just by changing telescopes? the camera is the same.
Just a guess, but you described a darker image with the C11, so signal will be lower, noise the same, so S/N ration is not the same, and you need more images.
3. Then if you close the program down and restart then the same exposure level is either far too bright or far too dark? why? the exposure should be the same, so the on screen view should be the same every time?
This looks very weird. (Also the other issues you describe) Do you have the latest software for your camera installed? It might be that FC2.5 expects a more recent SDK for the camera than you have installed. (and therefore FC 2.3 might work better)
As you said, errors and behaviour should be consistent but if different versions are mixed together, strange things can happen. (And lots of the "features" you describe seem to be related to the Grasshopper part of the software) Maybe you shouls send these question directly to Torsten Edelmann.
Open in ASK3 and it looks black and it is difficult to get alignment features
Have you tried Display Options Brightness 1x (up/dow) At least that should help viewing the file in AS!3

Hope this gives you some idea's were to look.

Regards,

Paul

eroel
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by eroel »

Alexandra:
First wish you, the hubby and all your family, the best for this starting year, hoping it is full of health, happiness and well being, plus good seeing. :D
I can not help much, but just say that you have a really good corrected refractor made by Yuri Petrunin. I know him since he started, he made my 10" f/20 Maksutov a really optical jewel, you could use this scope at 700X to 1000X during 2 Mars oppositions without the image breaking down.
When using a good refractor you get used to the images it gives, so you will have to get used to catadioptric images too.
Optical resolution depends on optical aperture, so the 11" will have more resolution, (Dawes limit) but as Paul says, you have the big secondary obstruction that lowers contrast too.
As why the Registax gives you a brighter image I don't know, but probably there is a parameter limited on the AS3 set on.
I image the Moon and Planets with a 6" f/12 AP triplet refractor, with the 10" f/20 Maksutov and with a superb optics 12" f/10 Meade SCT, all give different settings when recording images with the same camera, just have to get used to it.
Again, my best wishes to you et al members of this worldwide wonderful forum.
Eric.

pedro

Post by pedro »

HI Alexandra

I had many problems with Firecapture 2.6, but Firecapture 2.5 works fine. I use it all the time.

I never had the histogram issues you mention.

Updating Flycapture SDK (PGR) might be a good idea

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks guys for all the infomation, I'll try updating the Flycapture first, although I am sure I only did this last year. I wish Genika would work properly and I would switch. I need to start bugging him again.

So I think my first port of call is to try and get the cameras working properly, I am sure the battery cable is not working properly either. Then find the histogram stretch in Firecapture/Genika to help focus, then just get used to the C11 not being good for contrast. I need many frames captured to sort out this noise if the noise comes from lack of contrast and signal to noise ratio (that makes sense at least).

Yes I have tried upping the brightness in ASK3 to x2 and this makes viewing better but I am not sure it influences whether it stacks better by seeing more features? I need to ask Emil.
Alexandra

pedro

Post by pedro »

I forgot to mention that I never capture 16bits ser files. For solar and lunar images IMHO 8bit avi files are more than enough.

After stacking (AS3) I save a 16bit Tif file and process it with Registax and PS

I aso have a power cable for my PGR cameras. I used it a couple of times and saw no difference (sorry Mark)

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I get a new laptop at the end of the week, I'll post a proper reply when back on big screen iPhone screen is just too small for longer reply.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Hello! Back again, with a new laptop with SSD drive - woohoo! Been a bad end of year for breakages for us - laptop packed up (mother board fried) mid december, followed by central heating boiler and then the TV died - throw in being away and getting fixes and replacements has been protracted - at least new year sales saved a bit of £££...

Anyway, back to the thread...

Scopes first:

You have one of the optically finest refractors on the planet and are comparing it to a (relatively!) cheap mass produced off the shelf SCT. Have a search on cloudy nights as there is loads on this comparing decent refractors to much larger SCTs in terms of planetary observation - the frac is the winner every single time! As others have said the central obstruction on a SCT contributes to a lowering of contrast (34% CO). I'm sure i've read in the past that the TEC140 is optically figured to 1/50 wave, the SCT if you are very lucky might get 1/8th wave, probably somewhere between 1/4 and 1/8th wave. With this in mind contrast with the SCT is always going to be considerably lower. eg https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/2002 ... nd-11-sct/ or see what Damian says http://www.damianpeach.com/simulation.htm

What does the SCT give you that the frac doesn't? well 2 things, light gathering power (the bigger aperture lets in more light) and resolving power of point sources. The latter is going to be limited by seeing, if the seeing caps the resolution there is no point using a scope with a larger aperture than the seeing allows as there is no gain. The TEC gives you a maximum resolution of just under 1 arc second, the C11 gives you a maximum resolution of just under half an arc second. So, for example, if the seeing is running at 1 arc second you will always get better views with the TEC as it has higher contrast than the SCT. The SCT will only outperform it when the seeing is less than 1 arc second, and even then you are still getting the lower contrast view even if the resolution is theoretically higher - what will be the result? The SCT is always playing catch up with the TEC. You get more resultant noise with images with the C11 than the TEC as the C11 an an optical system has a much poorer signal to noise ratio. That's why the histogram is squished up with the C11.

How can a SCT / MCT exceed the performance of a frac? If it is very good quality (like Erics 10" MCT) - but then add another zero on the end of the price tag. I went for my HaT over using the C8 that I already have and getting one of Valerys ERFs (sorry Valery!) because Fred hand picks the donor OTAs that he uses for the HaT and these are guaranteed to be a certain optical performance that come with a test report. This cost me a couple of K£ more but is worth it IMHO. To use an analogy, you have got used to drinking very fine wine, and now you have tried a cheaper bottle of plonk off the bargain shelf and it is not going to live up...

Cameras next:

I had issue with my GigE camera not behaving and then removed and reinstalled the latest version of the SDK file and all is good again, give it a try.

Capture:
I'm totally with Pedro here, I see no gain in capturing the 16bit files over 8 bit, all the 16 bit does is take up more disk space and takes longer to process. Getting AS3 to then save the stacked image as a 16bit tiff file and processing this is the way forward. The big learning curve for me when going 'hi-res' with the HaT which is something Valery has always attested too (and I totally agree Valery!) is the camera frame rate, higher fps is essential. With my GigE camera I get ~36fps, with the USB3 camera using 2x2 binning I get pretty much the same effective pixel size but are then able to run at ~120fps, the extra light binning gives means a much shorter exposure time too. 3000 frames at 26fps means you are doing 120 seconds of exposure time roughly. I found doing animations with the HaT with a cadence time of 15 seconds there was quite clear movement between the respective sub frames of the animation. It could be recording so long you are getting temporal blurring which on the moon would manifest on terminator zones where there is a moving shadow. Not really done any high res lunar so not sure what the exposure length rules are for a given aperture. Not really sure what is happening with the brightness issue - see if it happens in 8bit.

Power:

Let me ex[;ain how, why and for what reason I power my cameras. In another life when i'm not spending money on solar i'm an audiophile and spend money on high end hifi. I'm not going to dwell on a load of science behind it but the quality of the power supplies, cabling and mains going into the hifi makes a huge difference, greater than changing to higher quality(more expensive) source components to a certain degree. The same science applies to the cameras. I power my cameras so that I can run at a higher gain setting than I could if the camera was not powered; this allows me to run with considerably shorter exposure time (higher fps) and allows me to freeze the seeing. If I turn the camera gain up when it is powered by USB there is a lot more 'dancing snow' on the screen (noise) than if I run it with gain and powered by battery, indeed I always run with the gain slider about half way along with the camera powered with no issues with noise. The quality of USB power will vary greatly from laptop to laptop, pc to pc and so will the resultant effect. YMMV.

Sorry for delay in replying, I couldn't have typed all that on the Iphone! :D

Mark

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Mark,
You’ve obviously taken some time to prepare your post, but I’m not sure it actually responds to Alexandra’s post.

I use a USB3 and SSD drive with a ASI174 to achieve >500 fps.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Me again... Spotted something that may or may not affect things; 3rd image down bottom right says it is a 14bit mono image, 4th image down AS3 screen grab shows you have this set as 16bit - maybe a mismatch as it also shows you have autoscale on? Maybe set AS3 to a 14bit range.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

!!!! well spotted Mark, I have never ever seen this before. If you click autoscale off then go down to 14 bit suddenly I have full contrast and bright photo. I didn't know the Grasshopper was 14 bit. I am just going to try and process and see if it makes a difference.
Very interesting post Mark, I really do prefer and enjoy the TEC so much more, but I so dearly wish to witness angular granulation rather than round ones.
I disagree about capturing in 8 bit though. When I capture WL with the TEC in 8 bit vs 16 bit it is like night and day, the 16 bit is so smooth and processing is a dream. There is so much more to play with, it is in Halpha too but not as noticeable as the WL.
I am not sure I like the power cable, the mount seems to totter about and the camera also drops frames and coughs and splutters. I don't think the power of the battery can stand it, whereas the computer seems to be so stable. The noise seems the same between the two and I can't raise the gain even a small amount without it making it worse. Maybe my laptop power from my USB is very good?
Well it has finished processing and the output is a miracle! proper scaling and huge increase in sharpened detail and far less noise. WOW!! what a difference :hamster:
:bow2
Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

This is unbelievable!!! where has the noise gone :hamster: :hamster: :hamster: I have to process more...........

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Well that's good if the brightness issue is fixed.

Very interesting about your 16bit experience with the WL, maybe it is because contrast levels are lower than with CaK or Ha, which is where i've done my 8/16 bit comparisons in the past. I shall certainly give it a re-try... Could well be your laptop has stable power, at the end of the day the important thing is you do what works for you.

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Mark & Alexandra,

interesting discussion. First question: which Grashopper camera are you using? There are several models with different sensors and some of them seem to have a 14bit ADC (ICX285, ICX674) while others like the IMX174 model have only 10bit (highspeed) or 12bit (normal speed) ADC's. When there is a 14bit ADC and you don't loose speed, 16 bit will give you more options in processing. In good conditions, you can use the same recording to get the proms and surface, and then combine the two processed stacks in one image. (So carefull consideration of what is most important speed or dynamic range should be considered)

That 14 bit value is really strange, but I have seen some SER files recorded with the same camera where the value sometimes indicates 10, 12 or 14 bit instead of 16. (It should be in the header of the SER file, so it woul be good to have a look at that) All depends probably how the camera interprets the values, and also how that is written to disc. (Had some discussion about that with Torsten Edelman some time ago, and he confirmed he does not manipulate any of the camera data. Image data coming from the camera is written as is to the data-stream) I did some experiments long time ago and if I remember correctly, it looked as if ZWO will stretch the 14-bit into 16bit (need to retest that). No idea how Point Gret does.

This could be tested by making a short video with forces full well and then look into the SER file how the data really looks.

Regards,

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Interesting indeed. It got me looking at my cameras on the PGR website: Seems my 2.3Mp Blackfly can operate in 10 or 12 bit depending on setting https://www.ptgrey.com/blackfly-23-mp-m ... ius-imx249 and my Chameleon 3 can operate in 12 bit https://www.ptgrey.com/chameleon3-32-mp ... sonyimx265

I've never twiddled with any of the settings like this in AS3, I think I will have to. Maybe this is why in my previous 'trials' i've not seen any difference between 8 and 16 (well what we think is 16 ;) ) bit recordings.

Looks like we have the basis for a good experiment in the spring and summer when the sun is higher in the sky ;)

Valery

Post by Valery »

Hi all,

Very interesting discussion.

First is the question to Ken. How have you reached the 500fps mark? Very small ROI?

To Mark: for lucky imaging and further massive post processing the optical quality of a scope and central obsetruction plays much less role than for visual planetary observing. All the contrast loss due to C.O. we can easily compensite by just contrast increasing.
You have had no gain due to hand picking of a scope. SCT already have about 1/3 to 1/4 wave of spherical aberration. So, for the final image to deconvolve there is no real difference were the images taken with hand picked or just a standard SCT (assume no astigmatism in both). And a standard (not a picked up) SCT can have even advantage over a picked up one! In the case the standard one has overcorrected optics - in such a case it can be close to null correction in a red light! More so, if you have a standard SCT, not a HD, you can move the focal point further outward and find the position where the red is null. This is impossible for a HD versions. Having a separate DERF, you always can choose a better scope if you meet it and then sell your previous one and a telescope is not limited to use in a red light.

To Alexandra: you are correct when telling us that a 16bit recording is better. This is really true when we have a very high difference of brightness we recording. This is especially true for lunar landscapes near the terminator, for imaging the sun flares, ative areas in a Ca II K or H lines, prominences at the limb when we wish to image also the surface details. Disk space and processing time is a third priority here.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Looks like we have the basis for a good experiment in the spring and summer when the sun is higher in the sky ;)
Hopefully my Quark is back by then :(
Still some programming to do for my Solar Scintillation monitor program, after that probably some time to do more testing.
Interesting indeed. It got me looking at my cameras on the PGR website: Seems my 2.3Mp Blackfly can operate in 10 or 12 bit depending on setting
This is triggered by the "High Speed" setting in FireCapture (Highspeed marked = 10 bit, if not 12 bit ADC) In Genika i think is set by Mode 7 in the camera settings.

P.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

This is so interesting guys, I have not ever seen such a difference in processing coming out of ASK3 before, getting the right setting gives a whole leap in extra sharpness and no noise in my moon shots. I didn't even know that button existed before. I think it is a must have check box now for everyone.
I have looked at my Grasshopper, it does say 14 bit ADC https://www.ptgrey.com/grasshopper3-28- ... 674-camera
Well what a revelation :) I must try reprocessing some of my Daystar images that were always dark, full of noise and no contrast :)
Alexandra

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

So I am now re-processing and half are 14 bit Ser (as per manufacturer) and half are 15 bit ser? Now the 14 bit process amazing images, the 15 bit won't process as ASK3 only has 12, 14 or 16 settings. The 16 are extremely dark and when using the 14 bit, the 15 bit images have strange black artefacts. Why are some 14 and some 15? is there some way I can stop it recording 15 bit and always keep it 14. No good really if it is random.

Here is the problem
15 bit.PNG
15 bit.PNG (395.53 KiB) Viewed 4877 times

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Alexandra,

must be some flaw in some program. It would be interesting to see the header of the SER file. There seems to be some wrong magic somewhere with bit depth in SER files. (don't throw away the file yet, i could analyze it on my machine, but it is probably to big to email?)

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Paul, the file is 17GB so even too big for WeTransfer. How do I check the header of the ser file?
I thought I had cracked it as the 50% that show 14 bit now process like a dream ASK3, absolutely noiseless and beautiful sharpness. But the 50% that now show this curious 15bit won't process on either setting in ASK3 :(
Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Think you can look at the header in SER player. (But that is of course the way SER player interprets this) To really see the contents, you should need to view it an hexviewer. Don't think there are any standard tools for that on Windows. There have been changes between SER version 1 and SER version 2, but need to dig back in my old information. If the header really says 15 bit, then I wonder how the capture software decides that. (should be either 14 or 16 but 15?) Did you capture that with FireCapture?

Rgrds,

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Yes, Firecapture 2.5
I must have a look at all my other files that v2.3 does, it will be interesting to compare
Alexandra

dvoss
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by dvoss »

Alexandra, would processing in PIPP help? In addition to accepting what the SER header indicates, PIPP has a 15 bit input option.

David

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

PDB wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:59 pm This is triggered by the "High Speed" setting in FireCapture (Highspeed marked = 10 bit, if not 12 bit ADC) In Genika i think is set by Mode 7 in the camera settings.

P.
Hi Paul,

If you get a minute can you screen shot me this for me in firecapture, I have looked but I can't find it. I'm usually being blind and it is under my nose so apologies if it is squarely in view :D

I did try going away from my usual 8bit recording in some trials last night, but if I tick 16bit recording option in FCv2.5 it outputs a 16bit ser file, but all this seems to be is an upsampled 8bit file, not a true 16 bit file. I can't get it output a 10bit ser with the 236m blackfly or a 12bit with the PGR CH3....
Thanks

Mark

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

That is funny you should say that Mark, I have gone back and looked at all my old recordings from Firecapture 2.3 and all are 16 bit ser. Now my camera can't do 16 bit Ser it would seem. These Moon shots which have outputted as 14 bit ser are the best files I have ever seen with this camera. It is so smooth like velvet and I have not even touched brightness or contrast or levels or anything, it looks beautiful as is. This is with Firecapture 2.5 which picked the 14 bit ser, but half are 15 bit ser and they don't process. If only I could force it to always capture at 14 bit ser it would be a dream come true. Here is one of my Moon shots

Image2017-12-28-2020 by Alexandra Hart, on Flickr

I am just processing a comparison of what happens when you try 16 bit and really the camera is only 14 bit. I think Mark if you could get your camera to record a ser file at the correct bit depth and then analyse it in ASK3 on the right setting you will be amazed. I am!

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Marc,

impossible to get a screenshot, because it one of those pop-up boxes that dissapears when you try to make the schreenshot. But I marked the area where you can find it:
fc.jpg
fc.jpg (58.86 KiB) Viewed 4235 times
But this is camera manufacturer dependent, so it might look different for PointGrey cams.

For ZWO there is something called "highspeed". If you mark this the camera will use to the low ADC value (but perform faster) untick it (default) will use the high ADC value. (One exception I know is the ASI120 which will always use 12bit ADC regardless of this setting)

For PointGrey it might be called "Mode 7". (In Genika it is in Options - Aquisition)

What I noticed for ZWO is that in 16 bit mode, it always seems to be upsampled to 16bit, but not from 8bit but either from 10, 12 or 14 bits ADC (not 100% sure but looking at the histogram it is not an 8bit upsampling, that would show more gaps in the histogram) This upsampling seems to take place in the camera (or ZWO SDK). I need to find some documentation on the PGR SDK to see what really happens there.

Rgrds,

Paul

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Alexandra,
Firecapture 2.5 which picked the 14 bit ser, but half are 15 bit ser and they don't process.
Think I will ask this directly from Torsten Edelmann. It's a pitty I don't own PGR cam, but not that many dealers on the continent.

Regards,

Paul

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Thanks Paul, I'll have another play / explore this evening :)

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Asked the question to Torsten Edelmann. He confirms he always writes "16" in the header field of the SER file, not the true bit depth of the camera. Now I wonder how that then shows as 14 or 15 bit in the SERplayer. It makes sense that you then have to force AS!3 to the correct bit depth.

Maybe we should start a separate discussion for these issues?

P.

HansH
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by HansH »

Very interesting discussion, eyeopener....

Yesterday morning did some trials on moon as well following this topic... with ZWO ASI 174MM camera.

Looks like Firecapture not consistent in "always writes 16 in header". See my txt files attached.
in AS3 processing 16 rather than lower (10 or 12 my cam should be) giving me the best results.

Another trial done with 2x2 binning on the sun, where at the disk rim all appearing "sawteeth".... 2-3x more frames though.
This phenomena also appearing with anyone else ?

Hans.
Attachments
070537_Gain=0_Exposure=80.4ms_Gamma=69.txt
(688 Bytes) Downloaded 104 times
073759_Gain=182_Exposure=9.2ms_Gamma=50.txt
(741 Bytes) Downloaded 96 times

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hans,
Don't think you can capture 16bit in AVI files? You should look ar SER files. When 8 bit mode the header will say 8 not 16.

@Alexandra & Mark
I now found a reason why bit depth in SER players shows strange can show different values. Frustrated, I downloaded the sources of SERPlayer and found that after getting the bit depth from the header, Serplayer checks 10 frames to find "True" bit depth. So it really can depend on content of the image (and noise?) to see a different bit depth in the status bar. (did not had a look how exactly that routine works)

P

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Hans, both your SER and AVI are both 8 bit. AVI can only be 8 bit, but if your SER is also 8 bit, is that the maximum your camera can do? in which case I would stick with AVI to save disc space :) just had a look at your camera and it is "High speed imaging with a max of 164.5 fps at 10 bit ADC, and max of 128.2 fps at 12 bit ADC" therefore your SER file should be 10 or 12 bit?

Paul, this gets more and more intriguing :)
Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Alexandra,

did some tests this morning with an ASI178 (14-bit ADC) and ASI120 (12 bit ADC). With no lens attached i just overexposed 1 frame (SER) so that the image was completely white and histogram all to the right (no histogram visible anymore). That should give the maximum recordable value per pixel.
The 178 showed value 65528 which is 13-bit. (strange that it is not 14 bit) In highspeed same value. (Where it should be 12 bit)
The only reason I can think of is that the ZWO driver when put in 16bit mode stretches the pixel depth to 13bit regardless of high-speed setting) The data that is written down in the SER file is an exact copy of what comes out of the call to the drivers, so this must happen either in camera or camera driver)

The 120 showed value 65520 which is 12-bit. (as expected, but this cam only has a 12bit ADC)
The ser file headers indicated in all cases 16 bit.

This can, as i said before, be different for every camera maker. Just depends on how the data from the camera is passed to the capturing program.

Regards,

Paul

HansH
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by HansH »

Uffff my bad...
Included 1x avi indeed, instead of the SER.txt file. (numbers almost the same, so mixed)
Add now the correct one... 2x2 binning and giving bid depth 16

Getting more and more in confusion like all of us when reading results of more and more testings done....

Anyone an idea abt the sawteeth on sundisk rim by chance when binning ?

Hans.
Attachments
073059_Gain=93_Exposure=5.1ms_Gamma=50.txt
(693 Bytes) Downloaded 91 times

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

happens ...

If you are using the AsI174, that camera has large pixels (5.86 micron) if bin that 2x2 than your f/ratio should be minimal f/40. If not you will be undersampling. Not sure if that will produce saw-tooth rims, probably only when you enlarge over 100%?

P.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Paul this is very interesting info, I am wondering if any of the recordings I made were more exposed so I got 15 bit recordings, and darker files were 14 bit. I need to do some test samples. If I can get the recording right, I would like to capture the 14 bit ones. I don't know why my Firecapture doesn't label everything as 16 bit then?

Alexandra

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi Alexandra,

FireCapture will label everything 16 bit if 16 bit is selected and a SER file. The real bit depth (which according to specs should be there) however will vary with camera, and how it processes data when you turn 16bit capturing on. Serplayer does not trust the header written in the serfile and has some algoritm that looks at pixels in 10 frames to find the real bit depth. (At least that is how I read the code) But that does not seem to be 100% correct. (My 13bit and 12 bit files are shown as 16bit, so ser player did not detect the real bith depth). Then there is AS!3 and there I don't know how the auto function works. I never had dark images with my 16 (13) bit recordings, so maybe something else comes into play. (Maybe the bit-order in the PGR cameras ... running out of ideas)

Very complicated ... to know exactly what is in the header it should be looked at with some other decoder. (I suppose you don't have Python installed on your PC, otherwhise I could send you a small Python program to decode the header and first data-row(s))

Rgrds,

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Thanks Paul, I am not very good with computers so it might be starting to get out of my league. I think I might write to Emil and ask about ASK3 to see if he knows what is going on.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I was having a bit of a play yesterday; I can't get firecapture with my chameleon 3 or the blackfly to run in 12bit - 8 bit by default, if I ask FC to run in 16 bit it is not running in true 16 bit, just upsampled 8bit - hence why I see no difference when comparing the 2 files side by side.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Reading on the PGR website, when cameras are put into '16 bit mode' as i'm describing ticking the 16 bit box in firecapture, all that happens is the extra bits are given a value of zero. So, still 8 bit data effectively in a 16 bit carrier. Intrigued as to how you got your PGR to output at 14 bit Alexandra?

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Mark,

this is getting more and more fuzzy, and even conflicting. (Manufacturer vs what I see) Maybe I need to review my testing procedure.
It is strange that on another page (https://www.ptgrey.com/astrophotography) the cameras are marketed under unique features:

"Support for 16 bit video important for DSO imaging, doing Photometry for Exoplanet transits and teasing subtle details such as clouds on Venus using UV bandpass filters."

But that is probably just marketing ...

rgrds,

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Yes I would like to know Mark because those files are my best ever!
I have written to Emil but currently waiting for a response.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Montana wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:42 am Yes I would like to know Mark because those files are my best ever!
I have written to Emil but currently waiting for a response.

Alexandra
I'm guessing you captured them in FC2.3?

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

No in Firecapture 2.5
In all my Firecapture 2.3 they are across the board 16 bit. The 2.5 version is giving 50/50 14 or 15 bit recordings.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

strange... :/

PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Alexandra,

do you still have the firecapture recording parameters (.txt file) for that file? If yes, what are the histogram values?

Rgrds,

Paul

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Sorry for not getting back to you Paul, here are a couple of text files from 2 of the 14 bit recordings. I've not heard anything back from Emil yet :(
14 bit.PNG
14 bit.PNG (23.01 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
14 bit.PNG
14 bit.PNG (23.01 KiB) Viewed 3953 times
Alexandra
Attachments
14 bit v1.PNG
14 bit v1.PNG (20.19 KiB) Viewed 3953 times

MapleRidge

Post by MapleRidge »

HI Alexandra and all those contributing to this post...

I see in the settings that you have posted, about 3/4 way down the list of parameters is a 'Mode 7' that is listed as off. I am trying to remember back to when I first go the camera that there was a change to be made on my FireWire Grasshopper Express to change this to on in order to get the greater bit depth on the camera.

This was set in the Point Grey FlyCap 2 software...I googled it and the link is listed below. Reference to the bit setting is is in the Custom Video Settings box, the 3rd screen shot shown.

https://www.ptgrey.com/tan/10340

Not sure if this helps or not, and if already covered my apologies for not catching it earlier.

Brian

Brian Colville

Maple Ridge Observatory
Cambray, ON Canada

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185395281@N08/albums

10'x15 Roll-off Roof Observatory
Takahashi EM400 Mount carrying:
C14 + Lunt 80ED
Deep Sky Work - ASI294MM Pro+EFW 7x36/Canon 60D (Ha mod), ONAG
Planetary Work - SBIG CFW10, ASI462MM

2.2m Diameter Dome
iOptron CEM70G Mount carrying:
Orion EON 130ED, f7 OTA for Day & Night Use
Ha Setup: Lunt LS80PT/LS75FHa/B1200Ha + Home Brew Lunt Double Stack/B1800Ha on the Orion OTA + Daystar Quantum
WL, G-Band & CaK Setup: Lunt Wedge & Lunt B1800CaK, Baader K-Line and Altair 2nm G-Band filter
ASI1600MM, ASI432MM, ASI294MM Pro, ASI174MM, ASI462MM
PDB
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by PDB »

Hi,

According to what I read in the AiryLab AstroGenika manual: mode 7 on = slower but better quality, mode 7 off = faster but lower quality. (Looks a lot like ZWO's high speed mode, on=faster but lower bit depth in ADC) So then i would really not expect 14 bit then. Probably you can control this in FireCapture from the "More" options just below Gamma. (See higher in an answer to Mark). Can't test that because those fields are camera dependent.

Alexandra: No problem (lots of things to do while waiting for some sunshine)

I noticed the histogram is very low (to the left). Now I need to understand how SER player tries to guess the bit depth, and how PointGrey handles the 16 bit values. (ZWO shifts the bits towards the higher values so that there are added 0 in the "black", but no idea how Ptgrey does) This could explain why some programs have difficulties stretching the image.

Regards,

Paul