How does GONG get disk and limb simultaneously?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Heliotown
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

How does GONG get disk and limb simultaneously?

Post by Heliotown »

I wonder how the online GONG h-alpha telescopes get the full disk and the limb view simultaneously?

Thomas

Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: How does GONG get disk and limb simultaneously?

Post by Spectral Joe »

Partly bandpass, partly processing. The GONG telescope filters are 0.4 Angstrom wide and the images are processed heavily before you see them. With narrower bandpasses you can see edge and disk details in one image. Another problem with many mass produced H alpha telescopes is continuum leakage, which reduces disk contrast further still. The GONG telescopes are engineered for performance, not a compromise of performance versus price, and have correspondingly better performance.

Observing the Sun with complex optical systems since 1966, and still haven't burned, melted or damaged anything.
Not blind yet, either!
Light pollution? I only observe the Sun, magnitude -26.74. Pollute that!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

It looks like they do 2 exposures to me, then clip and paste them together, I could be very wrong though. It must be automatic software.

Alexandra

Heliotown
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Heliotown »

Spetral Joe wrote: "
Partly bandpass, partly processing. The GONG telescope filters are 0.4 Angstrom wide and the images are processed heavily before you see them. With narrower bandpasses you can see edge and disk details in one image. Another problem with many mass produced H alpha telescopes is continuum leakage, which reduces disk contrast further still. The GONG telescopes are engineered for performance, not a compromise of performance versus price, and have correspondingly better performance.
"

Hi Joe,

I thought that narrower bandwidth, like .4 angstroms, enhances disk features and contrast but attenuates limb activity like proms.

To me it looks like the GONG disk image is .4 or .5 and their outer limb prominence ring area is .7 or so. I am just guessing though.

I wonder if they have posted information on their process anywhere? I can't find any.

Thomas

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I'm no expert but you can't see proms lower than about .5 A .

I get a slightly better than gong image with my 12 bit and 16 bit cameras all the time. Thd DMKs are 8 bit and therefore not capable of displaying the same images simultaneously

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
Cschur
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Cschur »

Dang Pedro, I was going to answer this and your too dang fast! I wonder what a 16 bit camera that will do 1600 x 1200 would cost - with fast 30fps frame rates? My SBIG ST10xme is 16 bit, but the shutter is horridly slow at 1/10 second and good for less than 10000 frames. At that rate, a few good sized solar shots would trash my shutter!

Chris Schur

----------------------------------

Birch Mesa Observatory, Payson Arizona

Clear Creek Canyon Observatory, Happy Jack, Arizona
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Hi Chris:

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe Stephen can tell us which 16 bit camera he is using.

I am looking more and more at the FLEE CCD cameras

http://www.ptgrey.com/

best regards

solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

Thosr ate the specs for the Grasshopper series. That's what I use. I don't do 2 panel proms surface, there mostly all single Avis

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Pedro

Post by Pedro »

Thanks Stephen

Thsi is new to me. I didin't know that the PG cameras had 8, 12, 16 and 24-bit digital data output... Something to explore. We need a new computer with USB3...

best

Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Spectral Joe »

0.35 Amgstrom bandpass, single exposure:

Attached files

Observing the Sun with complex optical systems since 1966, and still haven't burned, melted or damaged anything.
Not blind yet, either!
Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Spectral Joe »

Here's the same day, from Big Bear's patrol telescope (not the dedicated GONG one). 100mm aperture, 0.25 Angstrom Zeiss filter, 12 bit Pulnix camera, single exposure.

Attached files

Not blind yet, either!
earl

Post by earl »

I think they are 2 shots. I looked closely at all 6 images cand I can see the sharp difference between the disk and limb. A single shot would have a smoother transition.

Pedro

Post by Pedro »

surely 2 shots with different settings.

best

mattwastell

Post by mattwastell »

Sometimes you can see the images jumping and I believe you can see a surface disc and prominence disc!?

Matt Wastell

Look up, look good!

http://www.pbase.com/mattwastell
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

I, as mentioned previously, using the DS SM60 (0.4A) need a separate exposure for the surface and a re-tune (to chase the doppler) for the proms. I think we all agree, unless you're using >1.5A bandwidth you'll loose some of the prom detail with a single exposure....

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Spectral Joe »

I wasn't clear enough earlier, this image was taken on August 6, 2010 with a system having 0.35 Angstrom bandpass and very good spectral purity. It is a single exposure, the only processing done was a flatfield and some contrast enhancement. The proms are just as evident in the raw image. I know what the parameters were because I took the image. The very good spectral purity part is really important, because most etalon systems have off-band light leakage that reduces disk contrast. Double stacking sometimes improves this, but not always. With this extra light in the disk it's hard to get enough exposure on the proms without overexposing the disk. Images from GONG, Big Bear's patrol telescope and ISOON (http://nsosp.nso.edu/node/45) show disk and proms in single exposures. The difference is that they were engineered for the task and are a lot more expensive than the instruments we usually discuss here. If you want to know for sure that GONG takes a double exposure to enhance the proms, call or email them,the system is run by NSO in Tucson, but my bet is that they are single exposures.

Attached files

Not blind yet, either!
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

.4 A SM60 DS?

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

Stephen,
yes, a double stacked SM60 external etalon pair on an ED80 refractor. It gets down to the 0.4A mark.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Question is then, what can we do as amateurs to reduce continuum leakage in our Ha telescopes???

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
oldfrankland

Post by oldfrankland »

Here's an informative poster on the addition of the Daystar filters to the GONG system. Indeed, a 0.4A passband filter.

http://gong.nso.edu/gallery/disk2k10/da ... d11/jh.pdf

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Good find Jim! That pretty much says all the details one could want, some interesting stuff about the processing side too...

Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Spectral Joe »

Mark
One possible solution is the 1.5 Angstrom interference filter often found on Ebay. The issue is the quality of the blocking filters in packaged systems, a recent set of bandpass plots you posted reveals that even the estimates I thought were pessimistic about the characteristics of blocking filters actually turned out to be optimistic. The 5% transmission immediately blueward of Ha in the Coronado blocker is very bad. The photospheric light at the wavelengths of the etalon modes where the blocker passes that much is 5 times as bright as the Ha core. It adds up fast. Anything that blocks this light helps. One of my theories has been that the reason for the performance of the Luntanado combination is that the design difference between the two filters results in the etalon modes of the two filters not coinciding, and the filters act as blockers for each other. I suggest that you don't want "matched" filters for a double stack, but just the opposite. I would really like to see someone do complete system transmission plots of available telescopes. Until then, Excel and I make the best guesses possible using what data is available.

Joe

Not blind yet, either!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Mark
One possible solution is the 1.5 Angstrom interference filter often found on Ebay. The issue is the quality of the blocking filters in packaged systems, a recent set of bandpass plots you posted reveals that even the estimates I thought were pessimistic about the characteristics of blocking filters actually turned out to be optimistic. The 5% transmission immediately blueward of Ha in the Coronado blocker is very bad. The photospheric light at the wavelengths of the etalon modes where the blocker passes that much is 5 times as bright as the Ha core. It adds up fast. Anything that blocks this light helps. One of my theories has been that the reason for the performance of the Luntanado combination is that the design difference between the two filters results in the etalon modes of the two filters not coinciding, and the filters act as blockers for each other. I suggest that you don't want "matched" filters for a double stack, but just the opposite. I would really like to see someone do complete system transmission plots of available telescopes. Until then, Excel and I make the best guesses possible using what data is available.

Joe

Very interesting Joe! You have got my mind ticking over with various ideas... Be good to hear more of you thoughts on here ;)

Heliotown
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by Heliotown »

From the poster information:
"Polarizing beam splitter diverts otherwise unused 656 nm light through two afocalizing lenses"

So then, one light beam but the beam is split into two. So essentially this is two different views that they merge for one image.

I think I am reading this right.

Thomas

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

From the poster information:
"Polarizing beam splitter diverts otherwise unused 656 nm light through two afocalizing lenses"

So then, one light beam but the beam is split into two. So essentially this is two different views that they merge for one image.

I think I am reading this right.

Thomas

I reckon you've got it there Thomas...

Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Spectral Joe »

The beamsplitter is "stealing" light that isn't used for GONG's primary mission (GONG has no use for H alpha) and sending it through a 0.4 Angstrom Daystar filter to a DVC 2K X 2K camera. The edges of their images show all the signs of a wavelet shadow artifact. Still firm in my conviction, one camera, one image.

Not blind yet, either!
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

The beamsplitter is "stealing" light that isn't used for GONG's primary mission (GONG has no use for H alpha) and sending it through a 0.4 Angstrom Daystar filter to a DVC 2K X 2K camera. The edges of their images show all the signs of a wavelet shadow artifact. Still firm in my conviction, one camera, one image.

You just think different processing is used for the limb and the disk from the same image - then superimposed?

Spectral Joe
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Spectral Joe »

Just got off the phone with Jack Harvey (the first author on the poster Jim posted the link to) and here's the deal: a single image is taken, two processing filters are applied, a wavelet filter to sharpen the details and a radial intensity filter to enhance off-limb details. The shadow and step at the limb are an artifact of the wavelet filter.

Not blind yet, either!