Scope advice LS60THaDS50 any good?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
poita

Scope advice LS60THaDS50 any good?

Post by poita »

I've been offered a swap of my Meade 10" ACF SCT for a Lunt LS60THaDS50.

I haven't seen these scopes in action, and it is the non-pressure tuned model.

Can anyone coment on the suitability of this setup for imaging, it only has the 6mm BF.

Does it hotspot/sweetspot like the PST does?

I have a 60mm Denk modded PST and another PST that I am attempting an 80mm Stage2 mod with, would the Lunt outperform these noticably?

Is the 50mm double-stack of much benefit?

So many questions :whistle: any advice appreciated.

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Scope advice LS60THaDS50 any good?

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Peter

I had that scope with a B1200 blocking filter. If it is in good condition it is a wonderful instrument visual and for imaging. For imaging upgrading to a B1200 is recomended.

If the scope is in good condition go for it and up grade if you feel you have to

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
poita

Post by poita »

Thanks for the feedback, is there any disadvantage with not being pressure tuned?

Are these scopes able to be frankensteined into a bigger aperture?

I wouldn't be able to afford the extra $700 for the B1200 blocking filter, how much of a disadvantage is the B600 for imaging.
I only have a DMK21 mono camera for imaging.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

If you have a 60Denk PST and a 80mm mod on the way, why do you want yet another 60mm?? I'd keep your Meade, at least you can do other things with it.

However I don't understand telescopes so I may have missed something :?:

Kind regards
Alexandra

peter drew

Post by peter drew »

I've had the opportunity to compare side by side a good PST, a good LS60THaSS and a 80mm PST mod. The 60 Lunt was better than the PST but no match for the 8omm mod on the day. Can't comment on the 60DS though, it perhaps would have improved disk detail. The Lunt did not exhibit any noticeable sweet spot with a B1200 whereas the modded unit with larger than the standard BF5 did.

poita

Post by poita »

If you have a 60Denk PST and a 80mm mod on the way, why do you want yet another 60mm?? I'd keep your Meade, at least you can do other things with it.
Well, this is why I was asking.

The Lunt is a double stack unit, and designed to be a 60mm scope from the outset. I was wondering if it would give better views for imaging than the PST would.

In the same way that a Takahashi 80mm triplet gives better views than a cheap 80mm achro, if you know what I mean.

Not having looked through any solar scopes other than the modded PST, I have no idea whether the PST looks as good/much worse/better than the scopes that cost 3x as much as it, but have similar aperture.