Pushing for a public solar observatory

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Avraham

Pushing for a public solar observatory

Post by Avraham »

Hi

I'm thinking of pushing for building a public-oriented solar observatory. We don't have one here and I think something like this can be made very successful.

In a nutshell, I mean a place dedicated to teaching about the sun with some classrooms, maybe a small lecture hall, and observing balcony and maybe a dome (could also be a shed roof - I don't really care at this point).

Can anyone refer me to an existing such facility, if you know of one? I wish to learn.

Or rather, if you had to to do it yourself, how would you plan it? What would you emphasis in your action plan and formal presentations?

Thanks,
Oded :-)

keithatrochdale
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Re: Pushing for a public solar observatory

Post by keithatrochdale »

Where abouts are you, town, country?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool!

http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk
Avraham

Post by Avraham »

well I'm in Israel. You?

keithatrochdale
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Rochdale, UK

Avraham

Post by Avraham »

charmed :-)

any notions?

iwatkins

Post by iwatkins »

It's an interesting idea. By public, I assume you mean just for visiting public only, not for resident professionals who fit their work around the public?

I've often thought about this in the UK, somewhere central (ish). Not just solar but all astronomy.

You would want it to have some good telescopes, teaching facilities, gift shop, planetarium etc. I.e. something for education for everyone. Plus I would add facilities for visiting astronomers (e.g. people like us) to setup our own gear. And of course a cafe :)

But a lot of this is already covered by many of the centres around the UK, but not all in one spot.

So, what to do? Try to setup a new one from scratch? Bolt on the missing things to one place that already exists? Who funds it?

It would be easy to get people enthused about such a project, but I think once you to start talking funding, it would get much more difficult.

Cheers

Ian

peter drew

Post by peter drew »

We are currently setting up a solar observatory at the Astronomy Centre. It will be part of our outreach programme to encourage visitation during the Summer months. The main instrument is a 150mm F10 Istar PST mod with several smaller portable units for Ha and WL obs.

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Excellent Peter! where is this?

Alexandra

iwatkins

Post by iwatkins »

Excellent Peter! where is this?

Alexandra

Is up North Alexandra ;)

See here: http://www.astronomycentre.org.uk/

Actually, that probably isn't too far for you.

Cheers

Ian

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

That looks good! very interesting, don't know why I have never heard of it before.

Alexandra

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

As a 'long term' project we are putting the funding in place to have a solar observatory at our school. Problem is it's expensive and the funding comes in dribs and drabs...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
keithatrochdale
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

That looks good! very interesting, don't know why I have never heard of it before.

Alexandra

No idea, but we are open for public visits every Saturday night after 7.30, can't guarantee what the weather will be like.

And if the weather is good, we will probably be up there for sun viewing on Saturday afternoons.

Now what is that link in my signature..........

Avraham

Post by Avraham »

Thanks all for the useful insights.

I guess I'll keep you updated of my progress.

:-)

Avraham

Post by Avraham »

iwatkin - sorry I forgot to answer you.

(this is the 2nd time I write this, as my session expired right after I sent the first message :-( )

It's for schools - at first: group tours.

Topping the research budgets of universities, and competing with on-campus ease-of-access is impossible for the small thing I have in mind.

If I'm gonna fight for budget, I'd fight for one small, so I can get something operating ASAP and work my way up from there.

PEterW
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by PEterW »

In the UK the lottery awards for all was a good source of funds, Guildford AS got a good deal for setting up a CCD system (nighttime), I guess the Olympics has dried up that source a bit. I have tended to hear people be wary of doing public solar viewing in the uk for fear of anything going wrong or people attending and the going home and 'trying to do it themselves' and having an accident and suing! I would love to find out solar eye injury stats as I believe they are pretty rare indeed, a bit like laser accidents. Of course one has to take the potential hazard very seriously, but I do feel we like to use perceived risk as a reason for not doing things in the UK.

All the best

PEterW

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

I do feel we like to use perceived risk as a reason for not doing things in the UK.

Couldn't agree more!

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Avraham

Post by Avraham »

That was a very important comment!

I guess it's something to consider when setting up a silar observatory.

Of course, it's no reason why NOT to do it. The message can easily be pumped into the audience's mind.

Thanks! :cheer: