Causeway Coast Sun Apr 30

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
brianb11213

Causeway Coast Sun Apr 30

Post by brianb11213 »

A cloudy, windy morning with thinning high cloud in the afternoon - still windy enough to blow my hat off (therefore too windy to use my FLT 110) and with evilly bouncy seeing. I grabbed overviews then with a flare in progress in AR 11471 decided to concentrate on Ha.

Overviews ahow the Sun in a similar state to recent days. Note in the Ha overview the flare was not then in progress.

2012 Apr 30, 1410 UT. 60mm, 0.5x focal reducer, solar film, solar continuum & UV/IR blocking filters, Imaging SOurce DMK41 camera.

1421 UT. Solarscope 60, 0.5x reducer, DMK41.

1403 UT. Coronado PST CaK, prime focus, DMK41.

AR 11466 is now almost at the western limb, dragging the dead remains of AR 11468 behind it.

1426 UT.

AR 11469 near the meridian has been joined by a small new active area just to its south east.

1435 UT.

AR 11471 is flaring away but AR 11472 doesn't seem to be destined for greatness and AR 11470 has died away.

1448 UT.

And here's the definitive version of my flare sequence:

Does anyone know anything about the peculiar long thin slanted rectangular area just preceding the area where the flare occurred?

Interesting prominences were noted on the north limb

1444 UT

but the prom which has graced the north west limb for a few days is losing its beauty

1445 UT

All closeups made with Solarscope 60, 2.5x Powermate and Imaging Source DMK21AU618 camera.

May is not getting off to a good start, high cloud thickening & so far preventing observation. There might have been a chance first thing in the morning but I had other commitments.

swisswalter
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Causeway Coast Sun Apr 30

Post by swisswalter »

Hi Brian

a great show

Only stardust in the wind, some fine and some less fine scopes, filters and adapters as well. Switzerland 47 N, 9 E, in the heart of EUROPE :)

from 7 am - 7 pm http://www.nanosys.ch

from 7.01 pm - 6.59 am http://www.wastronomiko.com some times vice versa ;)
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Excellent results for the conditions Brian! :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Honestly I really don't know how you manage to get such excellent images during this dire weather. You are a master :bow:

I've no idea what the rectangular thing is, perhaps an area of magnetic neutrality between the spot and the area that flared?

Alexandra

Cschur

Post by Cschur »

Brian, a stunning set of images presented very well.

> dragging the dead remains of AR 11468 behind it.

And so descriptive!

You might want to consider a disk flattening routine for the white light. It's a bit hot in the center...

Chris Schur

----------------------------------

Birch Mesa Observatory, Payson Arizona

Clear Creek Canyon Observatory, Happy Jack, Arizona
brianb11213

Post by brianb11213 »

Thanks all.

You might want to consider a disk flattening routine for the white light. It's a bit hot in the center...
I deliberately "flattened" the disk a bit less this time ... trying to get more of a 3D effect. There's no actual flat frame used, the radial gradient is a mixture of limb darkening, shooting at gamma 0.7 and mild "shadow lift" in Photoshop Elements: I'd been using the default setting of 25 but dropped down to 15 for this day's effort. Will try 20 next time as I thought 25 flattened the disk too much.

Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Have to keep an eye on that flaring region