are you happy with DSII for your Lunt 80?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
tomecz
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

are you happy with DSII for your Lunt 80?

Post by tomecz »

Dear Solar Friends,
I write for the first time on the SolarChat but have been reading regularly since more than 1 year as I get hooked on solar matter more and more.

I had for some months Lunt50 but managed to upgrade recently to lunt80PT. I am very happy with the upgrade, now I see a lot of things better still having small portable scope.
Before I upgraded I think I read all about lunt80PT. I was conscious that I will buy a scope that there is some compromise with the DSII module (red hallo/not a dead black background). I read one topic that one user was very frustrated about the red halo.
Recently I tried to find shop in my country if I could test DSII before buying. Without success, I shall pay and wait for delivery. Not sure if I can return if not happy I think that will be not possible.

So I still hesitate a bit and that is why I would like to ask you who tried the DSII for lunt80 or lunt100 how do you like it?
I would be grateful if someone would chime in and share her/his experience.

Tomasz

Mazerski
The Sun?
The Sun?

Re: are you happy with DSII for your Lunt 80?

Post by Mazerski »

Tom,

I have the 80 and DSII. Others will know more about the mechanics than I do... the SS and DSII are inline with no separation - this may affect how the light scatters?

I do know this - I use a binocular viewer (BV) at times and it took a few times to realize this:

The weight of the BV + 2 eyepieces places a tension on the thumbscrews (or even the tiny Allen screws) and causes the DSII to "fall" out of position. What I mean is:
== Place the scope vertical on a table and attach the DSII and tighten screws for a good lens/component alignment
== Place scope on tripod, attach BV or even diagonal and EP, use for a period of time
== Take scope off, place vertical on table and lightly turn the 3 thumbscrews and you will hear the DSII drop back into position

I would also add that the thumbscrew approach Lunt uses seems to be the one flaw of the scopes. I also own the LS 152 and it too uses thumbscrews but the design is more thought out and the scope and its pieces behave better.

I do notice a red arc in the 80 - not a halo but in the shape of a cashew. Sometimes I see it and sometimes I don't - if I do, it usually means the DSII has moved in its position. Sometimes I think its atmospheric. I mainly use Televue Delos EPs and they have good contrast and generally the sky is darker.

Now, I figured how out to minimize the problem - email me if you want photos as they are too big to attach ([email protected])
I took a piece of Velcro (did not remove back) - I use it as a removable shim - I place the DSII on, place Velcro shim on "bottom" side of DSII and on top of the D-Plate then tighten thumbscrews. I check and make sure all is aligned. The shim just fits - its tight. This way I can use the BV and if the weight causes the DSII to move or shift position, there is no space for the DSII to fall into due to the Velcro. This approach minimizes (does not eliminate) red arcs. Is it annoying? I don't have a camera so its all visual - I like zooming in and out and I think the DSII adds a lot to viewing so I think its worth it and would buy it again.

Mark

Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

I couldn't get used to the glow and the mechanics of two pressure tuners .This may have something to do with with the fact that I also have a DS 60/60 Lunt that gives a jet black background with slightly less detail. I ended up selling the DSII. I don't miss it and find the 80 has good contrast even single stacked.
I am shore others have different opinions.

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Interesting read, one of the option going through my mind was a DS Lunt 80, maybe my view is tainted now...

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
edobosz
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by edobosz »

Hi Tomasz I don't see much of a glow in mine although the background does seem brighter than when using the single stack. It certainly is not distracting to me, but it really depends on how sensitive the viewer is to such things. In regards to imaging, you do need to play around with tuners to get as even a field as is possible. Uneven field shows up in imaging especially if you turn the gamma up. Hence you will have to do flats if you want to chase perfection.

I have found the Quark running in DS mode with the Lunt SS etalon provides a better illuminated field to the DSII unit in the Lunt. However because of the variability in performance between Quarks, going down this route can be much more frustrating than going for the DSII unit.

Ted

Lunt LS80THa DSII Quark Prominence ES127mm refractor
Mazerski
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Mazerski »

To Bill and Mark...

From reading SC over time, both of you have more experience/knowledge than I do. That said, I agree that the 80 in SS mode provides great views - but at the same time the solar disc looks great in DS mode.

I stated above that at times, the glow may be atmospheric (I can't prove it) as sometimes with the LS 152 (which I took possession of - new - in July 2015) I see more or less red. I don't really find it bothersome. So Mark, before you say no, hopefully you will have opportunity to look.

I would also expect the optics to vary somewhat as they have to... some may be more tuned or precise than others?

Note: If using the LS80, I attach the binocular viewer (with 1.7x GPC and DSII) and use the Televue 24mm Panoptics, the sky is mostly or all black and the disc size (magnification) is the same as SS with a 14mm eyepiece - perfect full disc size surrounded by sky (but not too much sky).

tomecz
Oh, I get it now!
Oh, I get it now!

Post by tomecz »

Dear Solar Friends,

I most kindly thank you for your answers.
They have not cleared my doubts. I think I need to buy DSII and make my mind up myself. What I also consider is to double stack my lunt80 with DS60 or SolarMax90. I think I may find them with similar price as new DSII, as the DSII does not appear that often used. Will see what the 2nd hand market offers soon here in Europe.

What also stops me a bit is the idea of one of the solar freak’s here in Poland. He suggests that I not invest in DSII – as the sun gets quiet with sunspots. He says it will be even more calm as it is now and there may appear long days without sunspots at all. So it is better to upgrade lunt80 with bigger triplet tube (say 127mm) for observing prons. What you think?

Mazerski, I will contact you via email as I find your idea with Valcro interesting and I think I will understand your patent better supported with pics.

Again, many thank for all input you gave.