Some Hi-res Ha making the best of a quiet period

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Some Hi-res Ha making the best of a quiet period

Post by longtech »

After April's bonanza of activity the past week has been comparatively slow...however on May-01 I just had to shoot something and managed to find some interesting captures in the quick afternoon session.

Lunt LS152THa SS with 4x Powermate and Baader 160mm D-ERF...RCX-Pro render to TIFF, 400/1000 frames AS2!, deconvolution, PSCC

All images clickable for full res...wide shots are 4K (4096x2160)...tight shots are cropped from the 4K

Thx for looking!
Attachments
A031-C100-4K-050116-AST603-PS06001-NR-HDR-CHR-CR2.jpg
4K (4096x2160)
4K (4096x2160)
A031-C100-4K-050116-AST603-PS06001-NR-HDR-CHR-CR1.jpg
A031-C100-4K-050116-AST603-PS06001-NR-HDR-CR2.jpg
A031-C100-4K-050116-AST603-PS06001-NR-HDR-CR1.jpg
4K (4096x2160)
4K (4096x2160)
4K (4096x2160)
4K (4096x2160)

Ewan
Almost There...
Almost There...

Re: Some Hi-res Ha making the best of a quiet period

Post by Ewan »

Nice set there Longtech, at least you caught something which is more than me over the last few weeks.

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

I like this image the most:
A031-C100-4K-050116-AST603-PS06001-NR-HDR-CR1.jpg

I think you have some problems with etalon tuning and may be with it's
not 100% squire to the optical axis or your blocking filter + camera and
Povermate being not square.
On the image I noted as the best to my taste all is OK and uniformly
illuminated.

Valery.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Derek Klepp

Post by Derek Klepp »

Still some ARS there though just not on a grand scale

yltansg

Post by yltansg »

Like the 5th image best

Alfred

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

I like picture 2 best, smooth as silk :bow :bow :hamster:

Alexandra

michael.h.f.wilkinson

Post by michael.h.f.wilkinson »

The fifth is my favourite

Solar kit: GP-C8 with Thousand Oaks Solar filter, APM 80mm F/6, Lunt Herschel Wedge, Solar Spectrum 0.3Å H-alpha filter, Beloptic Tri-Band ERF (80mm free aperture), Thousand Oaks 90mm ERF, Coronado SolarMax II 60mm with Double Stack Unit. Lunt straight B1800 Ca-K module.
eroel

Post by eroel »

Very very good images, though they show a bit of uneven illumination. Could be what Valery says, or the 4X Powermate.
I have the same problem of uneven illumination with my 4X Powermate on a 6" f/12 AP refractor using a Baader Herschel wedge.
Best regards,
Eric.

Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Powermates are not true telecentrics. You might be interested in Christian Valadrich's excellent analysis:
In order to benefit from the full performance of mica-spaced F-P etalons, the following requirements are to be met:
a) Use of a true telecentric lens system (such as Baader TZ or Beloptik). So called "telecentric Barlow lenses" are not telecentric and will give results of lower quality. The good news is that true telecentric lens systems give good performance, even when used at a focal length different to their designed focal length (within some limits ...)
b) Check out the the squareness of the F-P etalons to the optical axis. In other words, there should be no compromise on the mechanical set-up. As a rule of thumb the maximum allowance for the tilt is 0.1°.
It is a very easy to check out the squareness of the F-P etalon by auto-collimation :
- Place yourself at a few meters from the objective of your refractor.
- You should see : the cercle of the objective, the cercle of the etalon, and ... the reflection of your eye on the etalon.
- The reflection of your eye should be centered on the image of the etalon and on the objective.
Otherwise you should arrange the mechanical set-up.
c) The longer the focal ratio the better the performances are. F/D 30 seems to be a good starting point.
See: http://www.astrosurf.com/viladrich/astr ... lar/FP.htm

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

Thank you all for the kind words and suggestions.

Valery and Eric,
I do indeed have an issue keeping the sensor square to optical axis mainly due to the weight of the camera which is almost 6lbs. The effect is compounded by the sensor size which is nearly 31MM x 16MM.

The etalon however seems to be very closely aligned to the objective... I'm using it in the stock LS152 F6 configuration...the Powermate is placed after the B3400 blocking assembly...whenever I place the smaller ASI174 behind the Powermate the illumination and tuning are both even but when I swap in the big camera I really need to struggle with the alignment between the focuser and camera...I've designed an accessory the supports the camera's weight and allows adjustment in the X & Y axis while allowing the focuser to control the Z-axis (along optical axis) position...the parts are machined but I just haven't had the time to assemble and test.

Bob,
Thanks for the tips and the link...I have a TZ4 I purchased for a separate project but I had not considered using it on the LS152 since I use it in the stock config where the etalon assembly is designed for the F6 light cone of the OTA.
...so my question to you; is my assumption correct that the TZ4 would not make a significant difference in the case where its used behind the etralon rather than in front?

Thx again to all :-)

marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Nice pics!

You better post some pics of your new gadget when you assemble it, we do like a nice bit of engineering :)

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Bob Yoesle
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Bob Yoesle »

Bob. Thanks for the tips and the link...I have a TZ4 I purchased for a separate project but I had not considered using it on the LS152 since I use it in the stock config where the etalon assembly is designed for the F6 light cone of the OTA.
...so my question to you; is my assumption correct that the TZ4 would not make a significant difference in the case where its used behind the etralon rather than in front?
Ooops, you're right, I blew it by thinking you were using the TZ4 for a focal plane filter. In the LS 152 collimator based system the downstream amplifier itself shouldn't make that much difference -- but you could try it to see.
the Powermate is placed after the B3400 blocking assembly
I have found alignment issues to be of very high importance in most cases no matter what the etalon position, as the sensitivity to going off-axis does affect contrast performance, even with my front mounted etalons and no additional amplification. Making sure focusers, cameras, etc. are square and on the optical axis therefore does seem to make a noticeable difference.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Curiosity is the father of knowledge; uncertainty is the mother of wisdom.

Dark-Sky Defenders
Goldendale Observatory
longtech
Im an EXPERT!
Im an EXPERT!

Post by longtech »

Don't worry Mark...I have a couple of goodies to show the group shortly ;-)

Bob, when I get a few free days to dig in to my planned mod project, your post and link will be very helpful..thx again