De-pressure Lunt tuner for storage?

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

De-pressure Lunt tuner for storage?

Post by 04Stefan07 »

I haven't had the chance to take out the solar scope in a little while. I was planing to last weekend but the weather has gone to crap here and will for the next bit. Since the scope has been sitting in my storage case in my cupboard I de-pressurised the tuner (so basically loosed the knob so it feels quite easy to move). Is this necessary for long term storage of the Lunt?

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
MOUNTS: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro & Skywatcher Star Adventurer
CAMERA: Player One Neptune-M & Flea3 1.3 MP Mono USB3
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: De-pressure Lunt tuner for storage?

Post by Montana »

I have no idea, perhaps you could send Lunt a quick e-mail and then share the info?

Alexandra

zorgdotnl
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by zorgdotnl »

I do the same with the LS100 since 2009 ;) in order to nearly equilibrate and stress less the plumping/joints if there are some ;)

Gordon Ewen
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by Gordon Ewen »

I always depressurise my pressure tuners though I doubt it is that important. I believe the pressure is only increased by a few psi when the piston is wound in and I suspect it wouldn't do any harm. I have occasionally forgotten to depressurise the tuners and left them for days with no adverse effect - they still retained the pressure too.
Gordon

Lunt 152 DSII Ha scope, Orion Optics 12" ODK, C9.25
Skywatcher EQ8 x 2
Lunt 1 1/4" Herschel Wedge, 2x,3x Barlow, 5x Powermate, Baader Ca filter and solar film.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/74614447@N02/
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

I always depressurize my etalons also. The maximum adjustment from the Lunt website is +/- 3 p.s.i. The depressuriazation is to get the inside air the same as the outside air on any given day which can vary significantly more.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
mike h
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by mike h »

I asked Rikki Hocking a similar question when I ordered my Lunt in 2010. Rikki suggested releasing any pressure on the tuner at the end of each observing session. She said that their was no "known" damage/deformity that might occur in the system but why take a chance when it is so easy release the pressure when putting the scope away. Makes sense to me.

Mike H

Bill Edelen
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by Bill Edelen »

I have had my LS80 for years and almost never release pressure.Only if tuning position moves. My scope is right on band every time I look through it. After being flooded by Sandy ,my scope went unused for over 4 months and when I put it on the mount it was right on band.
Why let in moist air on a regular basis? Then pressurising it condenses vapor? Over time it may build up?
I can go weeks without touching tuner.Even after playing with it I end up in about the same position.
I also had had a lengthy conversation with Ricci and was told my method was OK an will have no ill effects.

04Stefan07
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by 04Stefan07 »

Thank you for the replies and sorry for my late one!

Hasn't been much Sun down here at all now that it is winter. Haven't observed the Sun or night sky for a few months now. Need to hang out for some good weather.

SOLAR SCOPES: Lunt LS50THa Pressure Tuned with B600 filter & Moonlite Focuser, Daystar Quark Chromosphere
MOUNTS: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro & Skywatcher Star Adventurer
CAMERA: Player One Neptune-M & Flea3 1.3 MP Mono USB3