The Sun over the past few days (SPSP)

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
mattwastell
Way More Fun to Share It!!

The Sun over the past few days (SPSP)

Post by mattwastell »

Hi all
Just returned from the South Pacific Star Party - sounds like a cruise but it is the annual party at the ASNSW's dark sky site (Ilford, just south of Mudgee in NSW, Australia). As mentioned earlier we hire a camper van for the journey (1000km away) & make it a road trip.
We had three clear nights with pretty good seeing so my night time fix was well & truly satisfied. There were the usually array of scopes & I had some super views of galaxies through a 24" dob - the notables were Cent A, the Sombrerro & the Leo triplet. I also spent quite a few hours looking at Nebula through my 8" & 27mm 2" eyepiece (I love the wider field as it really puts things into perspective & under the dark skies the views were sweet).
I did a few solar pics but my two favourite bits were helping a younger solar buff with imaging - I met him through his Dad at the event many years ago & ever since we have been mucking around with solar - his latest addition was a ZWO 174 camera & I was able to assist with his imaging routine.
My other was building Lego with my Son - this has become a star party tradition & this year's set was Dr Who (almost appropriate). Flin loves the Daleks & hopes to hug one one day - will have to find some sort of convention for that one.

Solar disc from 26th May

Solar & Proms from 27th May

Exterminate!
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 1032 times
Last edited by mattwastell on Mon May 29, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Wastell

Look up, look good!

http://www.pbase.com/mattwastell
Derek Klepp

Re: The Sun over the pas few days (SPSP)

Post by Derek Klepp »

Way to go Matt nice discs and it's always good to help others get involved.But the Daleks are BAD!

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: The Sun over the past few days (SPSP)

Post by Montana »

Fantastic! sounds like you had a great time under dark skies :) that is where star parties in the UK fail, they tend to be wet :)

The Darleks came to Manchester a few years back, here is me getting inside one, I'm small so they are quite tight.
CIMG4116 s.jpg
CIMG4116 s.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1021 times
Alexandra

mattwastell

Post by mattwastell »

Thanks Alexandra - Flinders loved the pic!
Montana wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 5:47 pm Fantastic! sounds like you had a great time under dark skies :) that is where star parties in the UK fail, they tend to be wet :)

The Darleks came to Manchester a few years back, here is me getting inside one, I'm small so they are quite tight.

Alexandra

Matt Wastell

Look up, look good!

http://www.pbase.com/mattwastell
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Sounds like everyone had a great time Matt! I enjoy a bit of nighttime observing when away from home (and light pollution!).

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!