Need info how to modify Solarmax ll 90mm with 15mm bf to 30mm bf

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Starman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Need info how to modify Solarmax ll 90mm with 15mm bf to 30mm bf

Post by Starman »

Hi, my name is Wayne and I'm new to solar astronomy, but not to astronomy. However the time span between my viewing sessions was just two long. When I saw the price of the Coranado units drop to my price range. I decided to make the jump. I sold my Siebert 2" binoviewers to kick start the financeing and within the last month I've purchased a 90mm Coranado Solarmax ll with a 15mm bf. I loved the view so much I double stacked right away with no regrets. I can see the advantage a 2" focuser with a 30mm bf will have and have been serchng for info. Meade has told me that the 30mm bf must be installed internaly at the factory.l'm glad their willing to do it but am thinking of upgrading to a fethertouch focuser ( Starlight Instraments has a swap out focuser and adapter for Solarmax ll) and the 30mm bf's I find comercially seem to be made to slip right into a 2" focuser. It seems to me I aught to be able to do just that. The pro's CYA and I know I have to be careful. I installed a lot of electrical in my house and I'm still here. But I was able to easily find plenty of info for do it yourselfers on the subject of electrical work and talked to electricians before I started. However on the subject of solar scope modification the pro's seem to be hands off. I was so glad to find this forum and there seems to be plenty of DIY'ers here and you can trust I want to keep my eyesight. I take full responsibility for the results of any modifications I make. Please advise me or share you experience with me. Thankyou, Wayne

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Need info how to modify Solarmax ll 90mm with 15mm bf to 30mm bf

Post by Merlin66 »

https://www.optcorp.com/coronado-bf30-3 ... ilter.html

I haven't come across the "Meade has told me that the 30mm bf must be installed internally at the factory" comment before......
I know of members who successfully use the 30mm BF on their Coronado scopes, including the SM90.

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by Valery »

IMHO, the BF30 is just not needed for this telescope. BF15 is absolutely enough for all tasks. For a full disk viewing (include large tall prominences) and for imaging of the full disk. BF30 for such a scope is a money wasting.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
solarchat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by solarchat »

The BF30 screws into the end of the focuser. It's no big deal.
I would not recommend buying one though as the blocking filter glass is way more reliable in 15mm chunks. The benefit of a 2 inch eyepiece/ larger BF is negligible in these scopes as here is nothing else to see in a larger field of view.

Stephen W. Ramsden
Atlanta, GA USA
Founder/Director Charlie Bates Solar Astronomy Project
http://www.solarastronomy.org
pedro

Post by pedro »

I agree with Stephen, the BF30 will be a great addition to your imaging setup
Attachments
coronado_BF30_20160702-04.jpg
coronado_BF30_20160702-04.jpg (532.37 KiB) Viewed 1548 times
coronado_BF30_20160702-03.jpg
coronado_BF30_20160702-03.jpg (495.26 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

Starman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Starman »

Thankyou so much for you thoughts and suggestions.I think I'll have no trouble makeing my own modifications now. It's great to know there's a wealth of knowledge for me to draw from in this forum. I'll keep what you said in mind Valery, about the 15mm bf being large enough for both visual and imageing. However eye relief is an issue, not so much for me but for public viewers. From what I've seen so far there seems to be a shelf life associated with the bf's and a wide range of quality differences between what are suppose to be identical bf's. In the end I think I'll probably make the investment but make sure i ca return it if i dont like it.Next investment will be the feather touch focuser. I got something from everyone's comets thanks! I took a quick look at your Web sight Pedro, wow! Impressed I am. You guys are great! Back soon, Wayne