Solarmax rich view tuner ( how far can I turn it )

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Starman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Solarmax rich view tuner ( how far can I turn it )

Post by Starman »

The first time I double stacked my 90mm solarmax ll the surface detail was outstanding the depth and structure around sun spots was spectacular ( last week). Today there were no sun spots to speak of and I couldn't seem to come up with much surface detail at all. I unscrewed the tuner screw handle and turNed the tuner as far as I dared in each direction. It made the surface lighter and darker but Surface detail was hardly changed threw all tuning in either direction. Tuneing both etalons.There was a spectacular prominence with several full loops on the limb so I took off the double stack tuner and was very pleased with the results I had at 0.7. There don't seem to be any hard stops useing the rich view tuner. Seems like I could turn it till it breaks. I wish there was some sort of instructions on the use of the tuner. When I turn it one way it gets a tight feeling to it so I stop. Then I turn it several times in the other direction easily until it gets a ruf feeling so I stop. Can I turn further in either direction. Are there hard stops to prevent damage. I'm thinking not. Does there need to be sun spots present to show detail. I'm amazed at how poor the surface detail looked today compared to last week. Hope I haven't broken my expensive new toy already. Dose not appear broken. Last week I thought I would never take off the double stack etalon and today I had beter views without it. I'm baffled. Can anyone out there help. Thanks, Wayne

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Solarmax rich view tuner ( how far can I turn it )

Post by Merlin66 »

I find the Richview tuner to be a PITA!!
Caution, if you try to "tighten" the tuner too far you run the risk of actually cracking the ERF element. (See attached)
Is it possible to mount the DS assembly on a separate scope? and use it with the BF as a single stack - just for testing purposes???
Optimized-solarmax60mm.JPG
Optimized-solarmax60mm.JPG (251.78 KiB) Viewed 1116 times

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
eroel
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Post by eroel »

Wayne:
Hope I am wrong, but sounds like a decontacted problem.
I also have a Solarmax 90 with rich view tuning, I also took the lever out (though I marked the place) and started moving the pin position in small steps until I got a better contrast. (BTW, I just had to move the pin a few threaded holes more from the original position.)
Regards,
Eric.

Starman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Starman »

I saw a massive looping prominence. Clear and vivad. Three loops and off shoot sashes.I could tune them out and back in again. Crisp and clear, but still not a lot of surface detail. Is that posible while decontacted?

Merlin66
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Merlin66 »

How did the view compare without the DS???

"Astronomical Spectroscopy - The Final Frontier" - to boldly go where few amateurs have gone before
https://groups.io/g/astronomicalspectroscopy  
http://astronomicalspectroscopy.com
"Astronomical Spectroscopy for Amateurs" and
"Imaging Sunlight - using a digital spectroheliograph" - Springer
Starman
The Sun?
The Sun?

Post by Starman »

That's the funny thing. I had great views without the DS, but it was the internal etalon I was aparently overturning. And I really can't imagine there's anything wrong with the DS filter. You can't overturn that one. The tuning ring has hard stops so you can't overturn it. In the end I guess I'll have to determine if it's been damaged in any way. I'll need a sunny day with sun spots to give me surface detail to focus in on. I called Meade. They said it never should have been turned more than a few screw holes past factory settings. I'll have to read those instructions again. I don't recall seeing anything at all about moving the screw. I just figured if it wasn't ment to be moved it would have had thread lock. Oh well, they said they could repair it if neccessary. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for input. Wayne