Flare in AR12529 280mm telescope.

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Flare in AR12529 280mm telescope.

Post by Valery »

Hi folks,

This is a long forgotten AR12529 group. I photographed it on April 18, 2016 through my telescope.

Seeing was so so and hence not the best resolution on this image.

Here are colorized and inverted versions.

Telescope was my C11 280mm equipped with the ARIES full size 295mm D-ERF filter.

PST Mod-2 etalon + Basler 1920-155 camera.

Valery
Attachments
AR2529 16h 15m Flare Color.png
AR2529 16h 15m Flare Color.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2138 times
AR2529 16h 15m.png
AR2529 16h 15m.png (954.96 KiB) Viewed 2138 times

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Flare in AR12529 280mm telescope.

Post by Montana »

Absolutely fabulous Valery :bow :bow :hamster: do you have the B&W positive version to delight over?
I finally got my C11 collimated last night after the day one disaster, so I am all ready to test on WL now :) so I guess the Sun will never shine again ;)
Alexandra

Valery

Post by Valery »

Montana wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:32 am Absolutely fabulous Valery :bow :bow :hamster: do you have the B&W positive version to delight over?
I finally got my C11 collimated last night after the day one disaster, so I am all ready to test on WL now :) so I guess the Sun will never shine again ;)
Alexandra
I am sure, these tests will not characterize the real conditions at your location. October is already poor season for high res imaging with such an aperture as C11 has.

Even here with long time sunny weather from mid April to end of September, October is much worser sunny and seeing wise.

OK, for you, here is a B/W version.
Attachments
AR2529 16h 15m Flare.png
AR2529 16h 15m Flare.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 2110 times

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
gabrieli

Post by gabrieli »

Hi, Valery

Inspiring images as usual, Valery. Although some people may say the tones are too dark, this improves in the expanded image by spreading the image out and really brings out the detail in the brighter areas.

Thanks also for your views on the benefits of larger vs smaller aperture,i.e., more work but greater rewards.

lou

Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Post by Montana »

Now that one is a real beauty :bow
Alexandra

Carbon60

Post by Carbon60 »

Lots of fine detail in these images, Valery. I tried again the other day and it was a disaster. As you say, October is a bit late in the season for hi-res.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Post by marktownley »

Very nice! Your 'so so' seeing would be excellent seeing for me.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!
Valery

Post by Valery »

Carbon60 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 am Lots of fine detail in these images, Valery. I tried again the other day and it was a disaster. As you say, October is a bit late in the season for hi-res.

Stu.
My last three or four sessions were disaster too. Very unstable weather and were not able to record even one movie worth of further processing. And no persepective sunny days for about a week.

Valery

LauraMS
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LauraMS »

Great images for this time, Valery. At my place end of solar season, but spots have also disappeared ... didn't even care to bring out my C11 during the last weeks because of the bad seeing and clouds.

Valery

Post by Valery »

LauraMS wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:01 pm At my place end of solar season, but spots have also disappeared
The Sun continues to show a lot of smaller mini-ARs and some small mini-flares,
dark filaments, prominences and spiculaes activity.
On the other day I were able to catch some such activity despite poor to average seeing.
In any case this is a MUCH more interesting than in a white light.

Valery

LauraMS
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Post by LauraMS »

Hi Valery,

with my C11 setup I am not lacking targets to image in the photosphere, even now with a spotless sun. Granulation and pores are great targets to optimize the setup with regard to contrast and angular resolution :-) Just not as spectacular like the active regions the sun presented to us during the recent summer months. But a good preparation for the next season - and no distraction by impressive umbral or penumbral detail ... :D

Of course Halpha is great, but I have to say during the summer I was more than busy to work on pushing my setup towards high resolution, independent of wavelength. Actually, I have improved a lot on my setup, including OTA-mounted computer and optimizing the workflow, and I've learned (and still do) a lot about seeing and working with it at the large aperture of the C11 :beanie:

I like to observe what you and others are doing with your large ERFs but personally I appear to be too busy with continuum imaging. I still have my 10 year old PST but didn't use it a single day this year for the reasons I just described. I would never sell it - I love that little scope... And one day probably I'll move on and it may get a big Halpha brother - and I will use all what I'm optimizing currently :band

Best, Laura