I bought my way into solar astronomy

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
FrankPorter
The Sun?
The Sun?

I bought my way into solar astronomy

Post by FrankPorter »

I finally did all the research needed to purchase my solar scope and accesories. Thanks for the information I received here and other places. The list goes like this: Lunt 60/50 DS pressure tuned with Feather touch focuser. A Telview Sol Searcher and dove tail. A Baader Hyperion zoom Mark 4. A Telview 2.5 Powermate. An iOptron 8900 Alt-Azimuth Cube Pro (Their top model). I got a discount of $150 and free shipping since I am in an astronomy club. I went through Optcorp. If I'm still married :lol: I will buy a ZWO camera after I get more experienced. Recommendations?

Thanks again for the tips and even though I decided to get the iOptron Cube Pro 8900 which was different than I expected for the Celesrton AVX, I think I will be happier with the fast setup time. I better be for the extra $400.

Lunt 60mm/50mm DS
iOptron 8900 Cube Pro
Baader Hyperion Mark 4 8-24mm
Tele Vue 2.5x Powermate
Montana
Librarian
Librarian

Re: I bought my way into solar astronomy

Post by Montana »

That's great!! :hamster:

The only problem with the alt/az mount will be if you ever want to do a solar timelapse animation as the movie will rotate. Also large pane mosaics will get difficult if you don't do them very quickly (my hubby can tell you all about that as he has the iOptron). But it is not really a problem in anyway :)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandra ... 580977403/

Alexandra

Valery
Way More Fun to Share It!!
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: I bought my way into solar astronomy

Post by Valery »

My advice, if I may, is to buy the Lunt 80THa single stack telescope instead of the 60mm DS.

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.