Question Regarding Seeing Conditions & Time of Day

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
cshahar
Almost There...
Almost There...

Question Regarding Seeing Conditions & Time of Day

Post by cshahar »

Hi Everyone:

This year was a bust for me regarding solar imaging. I moved twice in 3 months, for reasons ranging from flooding in my apartment to an unhinged neighbor. I decided to buy a house rather than continue renting. There were more considerations than just astronomy that went into my decision, so the backyard is large but there are a couple of trees which block the sun in mid-morning. In September I have the sun only till 10-10:30am, but also from 1-4 pm before other trees obstruct it. From May till end of July I have the sun practically the whole of its positioning in the heavens. I am now considering buying an observatory. I did manage to revamp my equipment to a .3A filter, and a 9.25" Edge so I have a lot to look forward to in 2018!

My question is regarding seeing conditions. I do have early morning till 10:00am and 1-4pm as opportunities for imaging the sun in September-October. Last year I noted that the best seeing was generally between 9:30-11:30, perhaps when the ambient temp and ground temp balance one another. I never imaged past 12pm last year. I have often heard that the early morning and later afternoon were the best seeing times. I was wondering what peoples experiences are with seeing and time of day? Is there are correlation? What about from 1pm-4pm? Or do you find that good seeing can happen at any time of day depending on things beyond our control?

Any thoughts would be quite appreciated!

Thanks,

-Charles

Carbon60
Way More Fun to Share It!!

Re: Question Regarding Seeing Conditions & Time of Day

Post by Carbon60 »

Hi Charles,

For me, in mid-summer around 8:00am until 10:00am, dodging a few obstacles along the way. Sometimes a little later, depending on he jet stream. October through March generally it's a washout for hi-res. I can sometimes get reasonable seeing late in the day in summer, but it really is pot-luck.

Stu.

H-alpha, WL and Ca II K imaging kit for various image scales.
Fluxgate Magnetometers (1s and 150s Cadence).
Radio meteor detector.
More images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/solarcarbon60/
Valery

Post by Valery »

Charles,

The seeing (if no jetstream above) generally best from early morning to about 10am. And local landscape features have great influence on the seeing.
At my location (46 degree north) during warm season good seeing can happen only early to mid morning and never after 10:30.
Later, end of September to early December it can happen later but not later than 15:00.

The only advice I can give you is to stick to 10"-11" aperture. You always can stop down the aperture and can't make it larger than it is.
C11 is the best compromise - still lightweight (easy to move it, can be loaded on the EQ-6 Pro or iOptron EQ45) and has plenty of aperture for working in a white light. And 10" aperture ERF can work fine on it too.

Valery

"Solar H alpha activity is the most dynamic and compelling thing you can see in a telescope, so spend accordingly." (c) Bob Yoesle.

Largest full size 185 - 356mm Dielectric Energy Rejection Filters (D-ERF) by ARIES Instruments.
pedro

Post by pedro »

In my location seeing is always better from 8 to 10am and also late in the afternoon.

ffellah

Post by ffellah »

I agree with Pedro, same times for me here.

Franco

cshahar
Almost There...
Almost There...

Post by cshahar »

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful!

-Charles

Bruce Girrell

Post by Bruce Girrell »

Thank you. I have been wondering much the same, but hadn't gotten around to asking yet.

Bruce G.