Maksutov Newtonian with Quark

this is the main message area for anything solar :)
c8er
Ohhhhhh My!
Ohhhhhh My!

Maksutov Newtonian with Quark

Post by c8er »

Hi All,

Just after people's thoughts on my idea of perhaps trying my 152mm f/4.8 Explore Scientific Comet Hunter Mak-Newt with my Chromosphere Quark (a standard Quark, not a Combo Quark). Currently the largest aperture scope I have used my Quark on is my cheapie Synta 102mm Achromat.

Obviously I'd need a front mounted ERF with the Mak-Newt, and I wonder whether a full aperture or an offset/part aperture one would be best? The Comet Hunter has a relatively large 49mm diameter central obstruction compared to most Make-Newts, which reduces vignetting on largeish sensor cameras.

Has anyone tried a Quark with a Mak-Newt (or with a fastish f/4-f/5 normal Newt), and have any thoughts to share?

Another potential problem could be ability to focus with a Quark on a reflector like the Mak-Newt?

With the cost of a front mount ERF not being inconsiderable, if I want to try more aperture with my Quark, perhaps though I'd just be better to instead just buy a decent aperture (perhaps 130 mm or more) non-expensive Achromat refractor, which might cost no more than a front ERF for the Mak-Newt. My largest aperture frac right now is a cheap 102mm Achromat, which I use the Quark with, using a 2 inch IR/UV filter as a rear ERF. ES for example do f/6.5 Achromat OTAs in 127 mm for $700 or 152 mm for $825, with dual speed focuser, and Celestron has a cheapie 150 mm Achromat for $670.

Cheers,
Chris M

Solar Ha setup: Daystar Ha Quark, APM 140/980 refractor, Coronado SMII 60 DS BF15, McDougall Solar AutoGuider. Skywatcher ST80, Orion ED 80, WO ZS66 SD, and Nova 102mm f/6.5 achromat refractors.
Other scopes: C8,C11, ES Comet Hunter Mak-Newt, on 10Micron GM1000HPS, Celestron AVX, 8SE, CG-5 and Skywatcher Solarquest mounts.
Cameras: Celestron Neximage Burst Mono, ZWO ASI294MC Pro, AS120MC, ASI174MM, ASI290MC, Canon 60D, Celestron Nightscape CCD
marktownley
Librarian
Librarian

Re: Maksutov Newtonian with Quark

Post by marktownley »

I'd stick with a frac.

http://brierleyhillsolar.blogspot.co.uk/
Solar images, a collection of all the most up to date live solar data on the web, imaging & processing tutorials - please take a look!